how to make crumble

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
382 replies 81.9K views

Replies

• researcherresearcher Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    If they're large apples in good condition and you want a single medium portion each, (with a little baby portion for DD) - then yes two apples will do. (You won't need all the topping though).
  • janetmwjanetmw Forumite
    162 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Can I ask if anybody has a foolproof recipe for a SAVOURY crumble topping - i.e. one you could add appropriate herbs to and use on top of a chicken or fish "bake"?

I use flour and margarine (or butter) in the proportions 2:1 ( 4ozs flour + 2ozs Marg, 6ozs flour + 3ozs Marg etc) depending on quantities.

Season with salt, pepper and herbs to taste. I also add some grated cheese to the mix.

I often use this topping on leftover Sunday roast which has been blitzed in the food processor and moistened with left over gravy and/or tomato puree/Worcs sauce......... as the fancy takes.

Bake in the oven until the meat mixture is bubbling hot.

Hope this helps

Janet
  • MATHMATH Forumite
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can I ask if anybody has a foolproof recipe for a SAVOURY crumble topping - i.e. one you could add appropriate herbs to and use on top of a chicken or fish "bake"?

I've always used Queen Delia's crumble recipe and I've yet to find a Lemon Merringue recipe that can beat hers either.

For savoury crumble I roughly follow delia's recipe for the sweet, taking out the sugar tho and I replace 1oz of fat with some garted cheese and chopped herbs, finally I stir in a handful of rolled oats. HTH

Another nice topping for savoury mince dishes is to par cook potatoes cut into 1inch cubes, toss is a little oil and some chilli powder and seasoning and pill onto the mince mixture before baking. HTH too.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • MATH wrote:
    I replace 1oz of fat with some garted cheese

Thats introduced an interesting image in my mind... hummm sexy cheese! :rotfl:
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • FroglingFrogling Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    bulchy wrote:
    Do you cook the crumble first before you freeze it Sparkly?
    Sue
    Hi Sue - whenever I make crumble topping, I make extra so that I can freeze it, but I don't cook it first. That way, it's nice and easy to just get out of the freezer and dump on top of the fruit, then just pop it in the oven and bingo!
  • MATHMATH Forumite
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thats introduced an interesting image in my mind... hummm sexy cheese! :rotfl:

I dread to think what it would smell like. PMSL:rotfl:
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • aimeelisteraimeelister Forumite
    600 posts
    ✭✭
    I follow my Nan's churches recipie (long story!)

4oz oats
    3oz sugar
    2oz marg

Melt the marg and sugar, add the oats pinch of cinnamon and bung on top of the crumble. The best yet!
  • This is greg wallace's receipe for rhubarb crumble from good food mag.

500g rhubrad - forced early season rhubarb is best
    175g golden granulated sugar
    175g plain flour
    100g cold butter

Not much of a cook myself but this is soooo easy. :drool:
    NURSE: "Shouldn't it be sterilized, doctor?"
    DR. BENWAY: "Very likely but there's no time."
  • recovering_spendaholicrecovering_spendaholic Forumite
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I make crumble with 6oz flour, 4oz marg, 2oz oats, 2oz sugar and a half tsp of salt. The salt makes all the difference. There is something about adding salt whenever you use oats, it makes them taste so much nicer. I always put a pinch of salt in my porridge, even though I have it sprinkled with sugar.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    my dh made a blackberry crumble the other day and squashed the crumble down really hard, so it was compacted but it was gorgeous. I suppose it wasn`t crumble really but more of a shortcake top