Loft ladders? Any recommendations?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving
20 replies 16.7K views
2»

Replies

• AdrianW2AdrianW2 Forumite
    416 Posts
    It's a long time since I installed a loft ladder, but we just left the push-up hatch in place. There was sufficient clearance between the top of the hatch and the bottom of the stowed ladder to slide the hatch past.
  • AdrianW2 wrote: »
    It's a long time since I installed a loft ladder, but we just left the push-up hatch in place. There was sufficient clearance between the top of the hatch and the bottom of the stowed ladder to slide the hatch past.

Unfortunately I will have to remove mine as we have pretty high ceilings and even though I am reasonably tall I still have to use a step ladder or stand on a chair to reach the loft hatch!
    August £10 a day challenge- £27/£310
  • espressoespresso Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surbybird wrote: »
    Unfortunately I will have to remove mine as we have pretty high ceilings and even though I am reasonably tall I still have to use a step ladder or stand on a chair to reach the loft hatch!

Just trim down the existing push up hatch and use the supplied hinges, catch etc. The supplied pole allows the hatch and ladder to be down in seconds.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • SurbybirdSurbybird Forumite
    294 Posts
    espresso wrote: »
    Just trim down the existing push up hatch and use the supplied hinges, catch etc. The supplied pole allows the hatch and ladder to be down in seconds.

I am so stupid! Why didn't I think of that? Now crossing dropdown loft hatch off the shopping list...

Thank you!

:D
  • My loft ladder was bought online for around £250, this was the ladder, hatch frame and insulated drop down spring loaded door.Luckily my ex husband is a carpenter and fitted it free.
  • SurbybirdSurbybird Forumite
    294 Posts
    Well, I went and bought my loft ladder.

Homebase had a good selection of various types and I picked a 3 section aluminium ladder with all fixings and nice, clear instructions. And it was 15% off the price today as well so it came in at about £68.00.

It weighs almost nothing which was a nice surprise as I had to get it in and out of the car on my own, and tomorrow I start the installation. I am fairly confident now that I can do it myself so thanks for the advice, fellow MSE-ers!

K
  • SPARKY16SPARKY16 Forumite
    546 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Surbybird wrote: »
    Well, I went and bought my loft ladder.

Homebase had a good selection of various types and I picked a 3 section aluminium ladder with all fixings and nice, clear instructions. And it was 15% off the price today as well so it came in at about £68.00.

It weighs almost nothing which was a nice surprise as I had to get it in and out of the car on my own, and tomorrow I start the installation. I am fairly confident now that I can do it myself so thanks for the advice, fellow MSE-ers!

K

How did you get on with fitting this ladder i need to fit one or have one fitted
    Thanks
  • ormusormus Forumite
    42.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wickes have a nice wooden one on sale right now.
    on special offer, 99 quid.
    Get some gorm.
  • Wickes one looks good, but the only problem is it needs quite a big opening. I went with one from B&Q for £69.
  • ormusormus Forumite
    42.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes it did look fairly large.
    not really suitable for a very small loft hatch opening.
    Get some gorm.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides