'Is Facebook a virtual tattoo?' blog discussion

edited 15 February 2010 at 7:01PM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
42 replies 5K views

Replies

• God I wish it was around in my teens, cos I can't remember half of it!!!!!
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing altogether.:D
  • Since Facebook is well on the way to everyone taking part virtually, why will you be at a disadvantage because everyone's identity will be online. It will become odd not to have an online profile.

Not saying that is a good thing but I can't see younger people giving social media up.
  • I am in my late fifties and very thankful that Internet social networking sites didn't exist when I was young and mixed up. Being on Facebook, posting personal stuff to the web (the Internet is forever, people), is - contradictory as it sounds - like living in a very small village (even if in the real world you live in the blessed anonymity of a city): thanks to your Facebook, personal blog, whatever, there will always be people who remember and can remind you of a moment of drunken stupidity, fiscal recklessness, an enraged indiscretion, a bad decision made in panic, a disastrous infatuation, needy whining, or the rantings of grief or transient mental illness. Or even use it against you, exploit or pressure you, and prevent you moving on, growing through life crises and other experiences, to a more evolved and peaceful and mature state of mind.

Facebook-type fora infantilise people. The pendulum will swing back eventually, and people will rediscover how much easier it is to breathe in the wide open spaces of discretion, the freedom and choices made possible by inhibition (not putting it all in the "window").

I look at my young relatives' postings on the web (Facebook, Twitter, Bebo, etc) and worry about their vulnerability.
    YouGov: £50 and £50 and £5 Amazon voucher received;
    PPI successfully reclaimed: £7,575.32 (Lloyds TSB plc); £3,803.52 (Egg card); £3,109.88 (Egg loans)
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I don't have a facebook account, and I wish that others could not post pictures of you without your knowledge for others to see on an online site..
  • Maybe in the future people will be less judgmental and reactionary... oh, wait. They won't.
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” - Lao Tzu
    Overpaid so far: £0 | Cashback so far: £1.45
  • I think everyone worries far too much.
  • edited 16 February 2010 at 9:17PM
    vangirl_2vangirl_2 Forumite
    2K Posts
    edited 16 February 2010 at 9:17PM
    The internet doesnt store data indefinately, unless you keep it going. It gets deleted.

The argument that our kids will be able to google our misspent youths is a non-starter, I didnt run upstairs and get my mum's drunken party photos out every time she told me not to drink!

Unless you murder someone you dont have much to worry about, unfortunately we are not that important to be immortalised on t'internet. As for people not getting jobs because of stupid photos they posted on facebook, thats just natural selection. If you spent your younger years off your face on drink and drugs and thought it a good idea to share this with the rest of the world maybe you shouldnt be running the country.
  • vangirl wrote: »

Unless you murder someone you dont have much to worry about, unfortunately we are not that important to be immortalised on t'internet. As for people not getting jobs because of stupid photos they posted on facebook, thats just natural selection. If you spent your younger years off your face on drink and drugs and thought it a good idea to share this with the rest of the world maybe you shouldnt be running the country.

the prob with facebook etc is that it is often not your choice what gets shared with the rest of the world. i know many hard-working, intelligent, responsible people who did silly drunken things in their teens/early twenties (myself included), and i don't think that should disqualify them for doing the jobs they do now. luckily, when we were young(er), and camera phones/digital cameras didn't really exist (god that makes me sound old - i'm not really!) the worst that would happen was people would spread rumours about your behaviour, which you could always deny!!

now, people can post photos of you doing it on facebook, and name you, for anyone to see, and you have no control over it.
  • edited 16 February 2010 at 10:09PM
    vangirl_2vangirl_2 Forumite
    2K Posts
    edited 16 February 2010 at 10:09PM
    If someone else posts a picture of you they have to digitally tag it with your name to make it searchable, which they probably wont do, kids arent stupid, they dont want there parents to see photos of them now never mind in the future.

Anyway even if the photos are still around in 10 years, which is unlikely, are potential employers really going to be that bothered about them or take the time to do it? Surley common sense would come into play and if there is a bad profile for you maybe its wise for them to take it into consideration, after all we are still the same person as we were in our teens, just a little older and hopefully wiser.
  • JDPowerJDPower Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    now, people can post photos of you doing it on facebook, and name you, for anyone to see, and you have no control over it.
    Then don't do things you'll be ashamed of, generally a good rule to live by ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals