MSE News: Home repossessions at 14-year high

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Around 46,000 people had their property taken by their mortgage lender last year, the highest total since 1995 ..."

Replies

• We are currently going through the Mortgage Rescue Scheme (Mortgage to Rent Option).

If our applcation fails we will be repossessed.

Anyone out there been successful on this scheme?
  • brit1234brit1234 Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Its going to rise far higher. So many people bought overpriced housing with cheap credit, many lied about earningsmany over geared with buy to let. These figures will rise as rates go back to normal levels.
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
  • neasneas Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    have notice in my search for houses alot are chain free l;ol
  • wodgerdodgerwodgerdodger Forumite
    186 Posts
    neas wrote: »
    have notice in my search for houses alot are chain free l;ol

I dont think this necessarily that they are repossesions or that a landlord is off loading property. I think it more likely that many owners have taken the decision to rent immediatley after selling and be in a CASH BUYER postion when they go back into the market. In any case many prosepective sellers wont willingly agree a deal unless their buyers have already sold or about to exchange
  • fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    16.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Angiepange wrote: »
    We are currently going through the Mortgage Rescue Scheme (Mortgage to Rent Option).

If our applcation fails we will be repossessed.

Anyone out there been successful on this scheme?

Not many.

See this article:

http://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/lenders/some-276-households-helped-by-mortgage-rescue-scheme/1006663.article

I particularly liked the comment following:
    Figures out today show the government’s £285m Mortgage Rescue Scheme has helped 276 households since it launched in January 2009.

This equates to public money of £1,032,608.69 per household, what a waiste of public money!
  • I particularly liked this comment:

At least the following is a far better offer than that being made by the sale and rent back lenders:

The government also offers a “Government Mortgage to Rent?” which means the registered social landlords will buy a home for 97% of its market value. The homeowner stays in their home and pay rent to the RSL as their tenant. The rent will be 20% less than the market rate for the area.

And this one:

Don't be an idiot - they haven't spent all £285m on just these 276 households
  • fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    16.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also note that there were three successful applications for MRS from the 'North East' and four from the 'South West' during the past three months.

Not very good for a £285 million scheme is it?
  • motchmotch Forumite
    429 Posts
    Angiepange wrote: »
    I particularly liked this comment:

At least the following is a far better offer than that being made by the sale and rent back lenders:

The government also offers a “Government Mortgage to Rent?” which means the registered social landlords will buy a home for 97% of its market value. The homeowner stays in their home and pay rent to the RSL as their tenant. The rent will be 20% less than the market rate for the area.

And this one:

Don't be an idiot - they haven't spent all £285m on just these 276 households

pay full market price but get 20% less rent? - math don't add up.
  • fatbelly wrote: »
    I also note that there were three successful applications for MRS from the 'North East' and four from the 'South West' during the past three months.

Not very good for a £285 million scheme is it?

Agree with you there, but when its your last resort you can but hope...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides