'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread

edited 21 June 2016 at 2:30PM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
4.2K replies 334.9K views

Replies

• love this thread, I thought it was just me, I am not alone, what a fab feeling!!. Does anyone else have upstairs and downstairs books? Downstairs I am reading a biography of Gram Parsons, a cookery book and dipping into a poetry book and upstairs is the current thriller. My other guilty secret is the Ikea bookcase still waiting to be assembled to go in the spare room as a home to all my books that are currently stuffed in the box under my bed. I have to read every day, I would feel deprived if I didn't, it is almost as necessary as food to me.
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    I live in a flat, but I have bedroom and living room books, although they sometimes get swapped over.

I've got 6 shelves and one small bookcase to get put up, meanwhile books are stacked and piled up all over the place! My sister's supposed to be helping me, but I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay a handyman. But I keep thinking of how many books I could buy with that money...
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • terri72terri72 Forumite
    131 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    What a great thread. I have loads of books - read & unread.
    If my husband catches me with a new book, his eyes roll as if to say our book case can't take any more.

I have a few registered on the following sites
    http://www.greenmetropolis.com
    http://readitswapit.co.uk
    and have just joined
    http://www.bookhopper.com
    so will be spending my weekend, loading a few books on there.

I love thrillers & crime and am currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member 015 - Target £50 (2015=£70; 2014=£74.40; 2013=£61.76; 2012=£82.50)
    The Official DFW Nerd Club Member # 1063
    Proud to have dealt with my debts - DMP with Payplan Started 11/08 Ended 11/14 Est. Debt £27,681
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is on my book club list for this year, but I don't think it's till the end of the year.

I tried GM, but their standards are really high - I got a low mark for one five for another, then cancelled an order because the book had got curved while it was stored. So I sold two books and have very little chance of selling any more. I've sold a couple on Amazon and that seems to be a lot better, but slower.
  • mineallminemineallmine Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey InaPickle great to see you set up this thread! I am getting my book thing under better control but it's still not great. I have an (upstairs) book to read about Decluttering...the Life Laundry...hee hee.

As well as selling books I guess it'd be useful to think of other ways to donate/dispose of them with love and care such as local hospital family rooms, um. Ooh help can't think of others. I guess the local charity shops always welcome them. I love reading I really don't understand why I don't read books more.

I have found that using my local library more has saved me loads of money. I take a look at a site like Amazon, see what is highly rated or in their Top Ten then order it from the library. Sometimes I have to wait quite a bit, but that makes it more exciting. A couple of books recently were disappointing - and ironically the covers looked really good. So one never can judge a book by its cover...:rotfl:
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!" Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • tara747tara747 Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll join... I have sooo many books (mostly 50p bargains from the charity shop) and dream of having the time to read them all! :o
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    I hate the library! I once went into the main city one with a list of about 100 books, they had about 4 but two of them no-one could find, and could only order in about another half dozen. And they weren't obscure ones either, they were mainly classics. Besides, if I had to order them in it'd cost 50p, so I might as well buy them for 25p from a car boot sale.

I love the idea of hospital rooms though, I go to the immunology clinic and there's often ones in the treatment room I want to read, I'm just there for tests at the moment though. I also sometimes just leave books where they'll be loved by someone else - I went to Venice last month and left a book set there in the hostel I stayed at.
  • Ames wrote: »
    I I also sometimes just leave books where they'll be loved by someone else - I went to Venice last month and left a book set there in the hostel I stayed at.

Place I stayed in Spain last year had a library made up entirely of books people had brought on holiday with them and left behind. Regulars even bring a 'spare' book and leave it. I think I've seen something similar in other hotels, especially if they get a lot of English speakers.

Maybe I will give CCM another go, when I've read everything else.
    Debts at LBM - Mortgages £128497 - non mortgage £27497 Debt now £[STRIKE]114150[/STRIKE][STRIKE]109032[/STRIKE] 64300 (mortgage) Credit cards left 0

"The days pass so fast, let's try to make each one better than the last"
  • As well as selling books I guess it'd be useful to think of other ways to donate/dispose of them with love and care such as local hospital family rooms, um. Ooh help can't think of others. I guess the local charity shops always welcome them. I love reading I really don't understand why I don't read books more.

Of course we should always donate books as well, if we can. :) I was just thinking that we are on MSE, so we should try to link the thread back to MSE-ness if possible. However, we should try to be nice and remember those of us less fortunate (or more fortunate, if we consider out book OCDs! :rotfl:) when we can. Charity shops and hospital waiting rooms, here we come!
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• I've counted the number of books in the box....

...there are eighty three! :o
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~