Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

February 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 50

New Post Advanced Search

February 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 January 2010 at 10:34AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 74.9K views

Replies

• Hi all.

Not been on for a few days, as OH came to stay for the weekend. Caught up with all posts, and it feels like motivation is generally high this month. Lots of people reckon they're going to hit their targets. Go us, go us, go us... (cheerleader-chant-style!)

I had 2 NSDs Thurs and Fri, but then did my weekly shop in tesco today - came to £8.17! All i needed was some fruit, milk and a few other bits, as rest of week food is from freezer etc.

I got a load of recipes from freecycle the other week, and as part of my new year's resolutions, i wanted to make at least something new each month. Last month was only using a new packet mix (bolognese pasta bake - nom nom), so this month i made some butterscotch squares. Mmm, they are lush, and as they're quite filling, you only need a little piece, AND they freeze for four months! Sort of a cross between a flapjack and a cake, with melted fudge in! I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested...

Sig updated with my NSDs and huge(:rotfl:) shop. Going to be tight, but i'm hopeful that i'll be ok for my first month back.

PG x

Yes plese to the recipe:j
    Brodie1
    :jBrodie 1/ july 300/330.62:oAugust300/322.49:o
    September 300/239.78:jOct300/258.50:jNov 250/282.24:) December 300/300.01:j JAN 2011 300/288.72 :j . September 300/319.19:(, October 300/351.59:jThree adults, 1 dog and 1 cats and cleaning stuff, toiletries, beer.
  • earthmotherearthmother Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm feeling proud of myself - I went into the Co-op this morning to top up DHs phone and pay the TV licence - and didn't buy anything else! :dance:

Once Tesco deliver tomorrow, I won't need anything else until Friday, so if I can keep this up until then I'm on a winning streak :D
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • carolt2carolt2 Forumite
    852 posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all, :wave:
    Recieved my first approved food order today so another £38 to add to total, OH now stocked up on things for his pack up for work and cupboards are full.

Just off to update signature, catch up on thread etc
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • I'm at £34.53 so far this month, but have another delivery tomorrow and meals planned for the rest of the week
    Jan 2010 - Overdraft £9,500 / Credit Cards £5,000 / Loan £9,500 / Mortgage £128,000
    Jun 2010 - Overdraft £0 / Credit Card £0 / Loan £0 / Mortgage £125,250
    Oct 2011 - Overdraft £7,000 :mad: / Mortgage £115,295
    Dec 2014 - Overdrafts 15,000 / Credit Cards 16,000 / Loans 25,000 / Cars 18,000 / Mortgages 232,500
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yikes, don't look at my total! It's horrendous!!

Only have about £5 left until 22nd Feb! Obviously I'm gonna be over this month, however both DS's have had birthdays, which meant party food we wouldn't otherwise buy, so I reckon I would've been okay apart from that - must work birthdays into the mix.

We still need to get through the food fest which is half-term, plus DH is off so that will be another mouth to feed! I'm working tomorrow, Thurs and Friday and have to stay in for a delivery on Wednesday, so should be able to stay away from the shops. I have enough in the freezers for all main meals (plus some for March), so only f&v and bread to buy. Damage limitation from now on :o.

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP: A Pair Tree by Susan Hillis Designs
    Crochet WIP: Dune blanket from Attic24
  • welshkazwelshkaz Forumite
    288 posts
    nsd for me today and hopefully tomorrow well earned duvet day with my little un whos home from school ill !!
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
  • franby64franby64 Forumite
    937 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Today I spent £17.06, mainly on offers in the C*op on beans, noodles and sausages, which should last a while.
    The rest was apples, bananas (I could save loads of money if I didn't buy fruit - should get an apple tree!), milk, bread, yogurt and onions.
    I'm going to have a mid month T*sco delivery but scale it right down as I'm still spending much too much every day (talk about stating the obvious) - still need to be better organised.
    I'm getting a bit annoyed with myself - can you tell!!
    May Shopping Challenge. 10/5. Budget £310 Spent £118.25.. £191.75 left. So £9.13 a day.
  • sashanutsashanut Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all:j

An NSD for me today, also yesterday but had to send DH to the farm shop on Sat as we had an overnight (veggie) guest who only eats white bread - so needed some t-cakes for her. He ended up also getting himself a growler (porkpie) as he loves those, & a jar of onion relish which was £1.49:eek: I did tell him that I'd got a big bag of whoopsied onions (for 21p) so I could make the next lot for him:rotfl: He ended up spending another £10.43 of my budget, :mad: so have to add to my total. So far this month : £62.28
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Makes 24 squares

225g plain flour
    1 tspn baking powder
    1/2 tspn salt
    1/2 tspn ground cinnamon
    1/2 tspn ground mixed spice
    100g butter or block marg, softened
    100g soft light brown sugar
    100g caster sugar
    150ml apple sauce
    1 egg, plus 1 egg white
    1 tspn vanilla essence
    175g vanilla fudge, chopped
    450g oats

Preheat oven to 190C/gas5. Grease a 23x33cm tin.
    Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Set aside.
    In a mixing bowl, beat together fat and sugars with an electric whisk until pale and fluffy. Beat in apple sauce, egg, egg white and vanilla essence until smooth and creamy.
    Put fudge in a pan. Heat gently, stirring, until melted. Stir into creamed mixture. Stir in oats and flour.
    Transfer mixture to tin. Spread level. Bake for 30 mins, or until golden. Cool in tin for 30 mins. Cut into 24 squares. Cool completely.
    Will keep for a week in your biscuit tin, or 4 months in the freezer. Thaw at room temp for about an hour.
    Enjoy!!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Was on a course today, and as that doesn't happen often, I like to treat myself to a sausage and egg muffin from macd's for breakfast. Still, only £1.79 added to the total, leaving me with £41.23 until 23rd of the month. Completely doable even with half term, as i have tons in and don't need anything other than milk, f and v. In fact, have frozen veg, so don't even NEED that.
    Sig updated, have a good evening all,
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending