1.8K replies 486.8K views

Replies

• edited 15 January 2010 at 6:57PM
    Andy_WSMAndy_WSM Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 January 2010 at 6:57PM
    Waved goodbye to the really cold weather today - and good riddance too! The heat pump continued to work with the immersion providing 3KW of back up heat - after a bit of fiddling around I was able to set the stat on the immersion to 44C, so it would only come on if the heat pump was not maintaining the temperatures of the system. I found this to be very effective and cost less than a £1 a day to supplement the heat pump when it was struggling in sub zero temps.

Outdoor temp has gone back up to a more typical (for us) 8C today and the system is working just fine on it's own.

• SwipeSwipe Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm so glad it has warmed up a bit. I have to admit my pumps really struggled in the freezing fog (defrost cycling). One performed much better than the other however. I think I'll get the under-performing one raised off the floor in the spring for better breathing and drainage.
  • richardc1983richardc1983 Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Swipe wrote: »
    Yes, I'm so glad it has warmed up a bit. I have to admit my pumps really struggled in the freezing fog (defrost cycling). One performed much better than the other however. I think I'll get the under-performing one raised off the floor in the spring for better breathing and drainage.

I am glad its gone also, the damp foggy air made defrosts more regular even if it wasnt working too hard.

Now at 6C here and I know the system is going to be more happy with the conditions.

Thank god the snow and ice has nearlly been washed away!
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bump... some users are starting to post on the forums about heat pumps, this thread provides some good info.
  • Bump... some users are starting to post on the forums about heat pumps, this thread provides some good info.

Yeah - but the context and relevance isn't always clear to we newcomers.

Some seem to have split, wall-mounted air-to-air units while others have standalone (or docked) air-to-water units connected to UFH and/or rads and/or DHW while it seems almost impossible to divine what some are using.

It's not easy for a newcomer to tell which posts are relevant only to a specific usage and which are universally applicable. I guess that only an extended stay here may eventually allow me to deduce which posters might have systems for which the posted info is misleading if applied in the context of my own anticipated usage(s).

I'm grateful for what has been posted as any info is much better than no info but context-specific info is better still.
  • albyotaalbyota Forumite
    1.1K posts
    I too think it would be a good idea if the air source heat pump threads were seperated into air to air (standard A/C), and air to water, wonder if anyone else thinks this would be useful?
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
  • SwipeSwipe Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I think so too. It also confused me when I first began reading up on them.
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    HOw should we go about separating the info.

Mine which is a sticky which is near the top of the forum is mainly on air to air systems but I have also included some info on air to water.

Its easy on my post though to tell which is which I think.
  • albyotaalbyota Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Maybe start the thread with a subtitle e.g.

Air to water heat pump

I am currently running my system at a water flow temperature of 36 degrees C through under floor heating pipes, its amazing, the house is lovely and warm and costing very little to run.
    There are three types of people in this world...those that can count ...and those that can't! ;)

* The Bitterness of Low Quality is Long Remembered after the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten!
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have tried to rename the post but it wouldnt let me...

Mine does say air con at the end of it though:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1464827