Forum Home» Disability Money Matters

Winter fuel payment petition - Page 44

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Winter fuel payment petition

edited 13 January 2010 at 11:51AM in Disability Money Matters
444 replies 23.2K views
13940414244

Replies

  • krisskross wrote: »
    I therefore suggest that those people getting DLA that cannot account for the exact things it is used to purchase do not need it either. You really cannot have your cake and eat it.

    I agree with the above, I have no problem whatsoever of myself being accountable for my DLA, I get high care and high mobility. In fact I would LOVE it to be accountable because there are so many frauds about, I don't mean to insult but we all have seen people around where we live. I am very grateful for both as they both help me in my day to day living costs. The reason I am happy to get DLA is that it is one of the few benefits that I can get because it is not means tested. I worked from 16 until 42 (when I had an accident at work). I am not lazy and I feel myself superior to the means tested daffties the whingers and whiners that want something for nothing, superior in the fact that I accept what I get and do not moan. I pay for all my care, the care part of DLA supplements this, I get no help whatsoever because my husband works, if he did not I would get everything for free, but I do love my lifestyle and so does my husband, so why should he give up work? All my disability equipment has been paid for myself, the mobility part pays for the car, on top of this because I need to change it every 5 years because I am in an electric wheelchair & hoist, I pay the advance payment on top this is between £1,000 - 4,000, I have no problem with this also because I am grateful for what I get and I live within my means to get by. My carers are private, and paid privately my myself, no social services in put whatsoever because they are rubbish. I feel sorry for the pensioners who cannot get DLA, my mother of 76 years included. Her generation did so much for this country and now the young ones are so grippy and want something for nothing, I am disgusted with how society has changed.
  • mellc wrote: »
    well think yourself lucky that you have any parts servicable when you reach 65, many of ours are were fit for the bin at half that age

    Where is the respect for older folk? I do know what you mean, I was crap at 42 years old, but pensioners are obviously older than me and you and give them some respect please.
  • TrialiaTrialia Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Where is the respect for older folk? I do know what you mean, I was crap at 42 years old, but pensioners are obviously older than me and you and give them some respect please.

    Age doesn't always confer common sense or decency and courtesy in treatment of other people, and it clearly hasn't for some of the people in this thread. I for one will not automatically give someone my respect because they happen to be older than me, though I respect other people as best I can by default unless and until they prove unworthy of it, as plenty of people older than I am have done in my life - and in the thread too!

    Seriously, why should great age confer automatic respect? Wisdom conferring that respect I could grant you, but age? Not so much.
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • sleepymy wrote: »
    Martin Lewis sets up a separate forum for disability and this is what you people do on it, shame on you all.

    I think a lot of the aggression here probably stems from a defensiveness people are feeling because they thought of this sub-forum as being a 'disability friendly' place and were upset by the amount of non-disabled people posting what could be viewed as inflammatory posts.

    Perhaps discussions about whether people should consider themselves disabled or receive benefits etc. belong in discussion time? And this sub-forum should be reserved for disablility related matters?
  • sh1305 wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with being able to budget properly. I have weeks where I need more water, heating, hand wash, washing, etc. I do not know when I'm going to have bad days and can't exactly plan for them.

    £18.65 doesn't go far. And it's not as if I buy really expensive wipes or nappy sacks. (my current nappys sacks are from Morrissons' value range) I do also look out for offers to make my money go further.

    You might think that I am being silly here but what is £18.65 for, is this what you get from DLA? Is it the low rate?
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 20 January 2010 at 12:14AM
    skcollobcat10skcollobcat10 Forumite
    331 posts
    edited 20 January 2010 at 12:14AM
    sh1305 wrote: »
    Disabled people can get the £25 cold weather payment if they're in receipt of DLA and either JSA, IS or ESA.

    Yeah but they are all means tested!!

    Normal people don't get them. Meaning that you are all probably in council accomodation, those of which get it all, if you OWN your own home you get nothing.
  • Oh by the way, I have heard of nobody on this thread who has complained about the oil heating.

    I will give you an example:

    21st December, snowed in and up until Sunday 17th January could not get out of my house. But, I have used from 21 dec to today (20th January) a whole tank of oil heating eg. £489.00!
    The heating allowance if I did get it would go nowhere!
  • If you target money to those who need it not a universal policy of age then its affordable, its common sense.

    Tell you what Kris you have my disability you sit in a house that is closing in on just 5 Celsius day in day out having to wear a hat and gloves just to keep warm, having to go to the doctors almost weekly this time of year because your immune system cannot cope, having infections setting in, severe migranes and violent sickness, cannot go out without having a mild case of hypothermia. All because we cannot afford to put up the heating as per government advice, oh the same advice that says that we will help those in need.

    See how you cope with all that and be a carrer of a disabled person who cannot have the wfp because of age think you would change your closed off stance.

    You say there is not a bottomless pit , yes we all know that but there are so many failed government quangos, think tanks and other wasteful goverment intitavtives leaking cash its shocking.

    If it was up to people like you we would just hide in a corner except our lot and never leave the house nor play any part in society and get sicker and sicker, its about time people started raising their voices on this matter because it is so so clearly wrong.

    When will people realize what the government is doing is discriminating against people and the wider picture of the government not doing enough for disabled people and families. If people cannot see this they need their heads examined.

    "So the Minister of State for Works and Pensions thinks that DLA is for extra heating costs. Is he wrong as well? May have been a few years ago, but can't see that anything has changed in what the payments are supposed to cover. The Government web site cannot possibly cover every little thing that DLA could or would be used for. Surely all disabled people are different and therefore need to spend the DLA on different things."


    So i see you have bought the government spin and what is spoon fed at you, you know the governement has constantly undermined disabled people and their is worse to come and a lot of disabled people and their familes are about to be strenched to the limit and I fear it will push people over the edge.

    The goverments stance on fuel payments is not fit for purpose and needs a radical overhaul before the number of people passing away who are vunerable due to fuel poverty increases .With 49% more people are passing away than 2007-2008 due to the cold weather and the links to winter fuel poverty it shows the policy isnt working.

    More well off people should pay and less well of people get their concessions its so simply even a 5 year old could see it.

    Because it is so cold are you up in the North of Scotland???
  • mellc wrote: »
    The ones i do begrudge are the ones that £250.00 would go into the bank without them even realising it just to keep the other company.

    You do not half sound bitter!! The first bit of what you say is fine but are you jealous or something, are you an underachiever or something? What is the problem?
  • TrialiaTrialia Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Because it is so cold are you up in the North of Scotland???

    5 Celsius? Do you really think that? It's been down to -18C in Greater Manchester over the last three weeks...
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support