'Meeting Ed Balls about financial education' blog discussion

edited 15 January 2010 at 12:21PM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
4 replies 1.5K views
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.
Please click reply to discuss below.

Replies

• keet83keet83 Forumite
    226 Posts
    its about time they did more about finance in schools; i am all self taught from what i've read and seen on line and on TV, many thanks to this website. it'll be much better if they're taught at a young age, lets just hope that it does happen
    [STRIKE]Beggars cant be choosers, but savers can![/STRIKE]
    That used to be the case :mad:
  • pmdukpmduk Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which title will you assume when being ennobled? Lord Lewis of Poundland? Seriously, you've won the argument so far, don't take the heat off them now.
  • Heffi1Heffi1 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I only wish I were more aware when I was younger!

I am taking all of the lessons I learn on here and elsewhere and making sure my children are educated so that they do not fall into the trap I have where debt is concerned, I hope that their financial future is rosier than mine, and after seeing me struggle they certainly dont want to repeat my mistakes so in the end it has to be a good thing....well done Martin!!
    :) Been here for a long time and don't often post
  • Hi Martin, Congratulations on your meeting with Ed Balls - hopefully it may make you smile further to be aware that some schools are taking the lead on the issue of financial capability and young people. I have been very fortunate to teach in two schools who offer the ifs School of Finance GCSE and AS / A2 equivalent qualifications and I am Head of Financial Studies at my current school. It's amazing how parents regularly say "I wish this had been available for me when I was at school"! So hopefully it won't be too long before financial capability is more mainstream as the students that I have taught definitely appreciate the insight and life skill they acquire. The courses cover everything from the basics about bank accounts and budgeting through detailed borrowing and savings information and even issues surrounding inheritance. Thank you for all your articles and comments which make excellent resources for lessons along with everything that is in the media, particularly at the moment ;-)!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides