»

Cheapest way to use the immersion heater - Page 9

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Cheapest way to use the immersion heater

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Energy
150 replies 307.5K views

Replies

• Your immersion is likely to be 3kw.
    Your electricity cost roughly 10p per kwh.
    So 30p an hour.
    Even if it is on continuously for 6 hours, it will cost no more than £1.80 per day.
    Probably the best solution in summer when you are not needing radiator heat.
    In winter, ??? I guess you have to let it heat the water as you probably can't stop it doing so.

However, if your shower is a pull cord, it may be an electric shower, which will cost you an additional amount of electricity regardless of the immersion being on.
  • my house is bloody freezing all the time and thats with my central heating on full blast!. I have an immersion heater too and have had to use that occasionally. As an eyeopener, on moving into this house in three months (3 weeks of that not yet residing here fully) I was told to have my heating on at about 18 c all the time. I did over the winter months apart from that three weeks i mentioned and when my bill arrived it was £598 gas alone!. Im scared to put it on now it goes on 1 hr in the morning and evening and my hot water once a day for 1 hr
    Trisha
    ;) When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. ;)
  • Whoever told you to keep it on all the time needs a clip round the ear.
    It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
  • edited 14 January 2010 at 2:33PM
    JennyR68JennyR68
    416 posts
    Forumite
    edited 14 January 2010 at 2:33PM
    Your immersion is likely to be 3kw.

However, if your shower is a pull cord, it may be an electric shower, which will cost you an additional amount of electricity regardless of the immersion being on.

I've seen days when my family have used £1.50 to use the electric shower alone (teenage girls, why is it even when I've timed them and watched the monitor clock up they are still convinced they were only in '5mins'? ). It's days are numbered, waiting for plumber to put new unvented direct tank in now to run a mixer shower instead.

Has anyone any advice on whether to get a 210l or 250l to suit a family of 5 showers and hand dishwashing?

Or am I right in thinking that what Cardew is saying is that either size would do if I kept it switched on, wouldn't make much difference as would use roughly same energy to heat 250l in one go as 250l in stages in a 210l tank?
  • CardewCardew
    27.9K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 25000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JennyR68 wrote: »
    I've seen days when my family have used £1.50 to use the electric shower alone (teenage girls, why is it even when I've timed them and watched the monitor clock up they are still convinced they were only in '5mins'? ). It's days are numbered, waiting for plumber to put new unvented direct tank in now to run a mixer shower instead.

Has anyone any advice on whether to get a 210l or 250l to suit a family of 5 showers and hand dishwashing?

Or am I right in thinking that what Cardew is saying is that either size would do if I kept it switched on, wouldn't make much difference as would use roughly same energy to heat 250l in one go as 250l in stages in a 210l tank?

What am I saying?

JennyR68,

Are you serious with the nonsense you keep posting, or just amusung yourself(and us!!)?

As I understand it you have an all electric property and are not on an E7 tariff.

You have an Electric shower, but as it uses too much electricity, you intend to get an unvented direct tank(which presumably you will heat with an immersion heater) and run a mixer shower from the tank?

Isn't that rather like saying that my electric kettle uses too much electricity heating water for a cup of tea, so I will heat up a 20 litre saucepan of water on my electric cooker?

Run this by me again please!
  • Too much to hope for a simple answer to a simple question? :confused:

Electric shower on last legs, useless as well as expensive. However as completely redoing bathroom part of the makeover is replacing ancient water tank and we don't have to replace shower with another electric. Plumber advised putting in direct unvented as that is what one does these days. Gives pressurised hot water and will result in much better shower from a thermostatic mixer.

Why is there a problem with that?
  • JennyR68 wrote: »
    Too much to hope for a simple answer to a simple question? :confused:

Electric shower on last legs, useless as well as expensive. However as completely redoing bathroom part of the makeover is replacing ancient water tank and we don't have to replace shower with another electric. Plumber advised putting in direct unvented as that is what one does these days. Gives pressurised hot water and will result in much better shower from a thermostatic mixer.

Why is there a problem with that?

I have a pressurised unvented direct cylinder which heats up on ec7, so I always have stored hot water. When the tank was installed last year I also had a Mira Miniduo mixer shower installed, which runs on the pressurised hot water. Trust me, the shower performance is excellent, best one I have ever used! Even the guys who installed the bathroom & shower could not believe how powerful it is. You will not be diappointed.
  • CardewCardew
    27.9K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dave_dph wrote: »
    I have a pressurised unvented direct cylinder which heats up on ec7, so I always have stored hot water. When the tank was installed last year I also had a Mira Miniduo mixer shower installed, which runs on the pressurised hot water. Trust me, the shower performance is excellent, best one I have ever used! Even the guys who installed the bathroom & shower could not believe how powerful it is. You will not be diappointed.

That is exactly the point being made!

A good mixer shower will have great performance and make most electric showers seem like a dribble.

However such performance uses a lot more hot water, and when the hot water tank is heated by an immersion heater on 'normal'(i.e. not E7) rates it will obviously be a lot more expensive than the electric shower about which JennyR68 was complaining.
  • Cardew wrote: »
    That is exactly the point being made!

A good mixer shower will have great performance and make most electric showers seem like a dribble.

However such performance uses a lot more hot water, and when the hot water tank is heated by an immersion heater on 'normal'(i.e. not E7) rates it will obviously be a lot more expensive than the electric shower about which JennyR68 was complaining.

JennyR68 is complaining about paying a fortune for an absolutely useless shower, wouldn't care what she paid for a decent one!
  • CardewCardew
    27.9K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JennyR68 wrote: »
    JennyR68 is complaining about paying a fortune for an absolutely useless shower, wouldn't care what she paid for a decent one!

So if it uses £1.50 for showering and is 'absolutely useless' how is the electricity being used?

Energy cannot be destroyed(according to the law of thermodynamics) so the heat must go somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms