Are 24 month contracts really that bad?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
35 replies 7.9K views
d.m_3d.m_3 Forumite
152 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
Ive been doing some research on the net around 24 month contacts and the vibe I've got from more forums/websites is negative. Are 24 month contacts really that bad? Why do so many people hate them? Opinions please...... :D thanks

Replies

• OneADayOneADay Forumite
    9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cuz the darn phones likely to become boring after 12 months and possibly go wonky in 24 months.
  • d.m_3d.m_3 Forumite
    152 Posts
    I read somewhere that if the phone goes wrong, you can pretty much argue your way to a new phone / replacement, as the seller (whoever's sold you the contract) will find it hard to argue that phone has lasted its expected lifetime. Its hard to sell someone a 24 month contract and claim that the phone, having lasted 12 months, has served its purpose for the expected duration; they'll have to replace it.
  • charlesworth82charlesworth82 Forumite
    313 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    yeah ur phone is usually covered for the contract. unless u drop it etc.
    ‘It ain’t over 'til it's over’
    9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah but warranties for phones are usually 12 months, ok nokia do 2 years worth I think now. But personally I get bored with a phone after a few months let alone 12 or 24 months. So have never ever had a contract for more than 12 months.

If its an expensive phone, it might be worth (no option sometimes) taking 24 months deal but I would only do it if the cost for 24 months did not mean that I get ripped off.

For now I am happy with 12 months :-)
  • d.m_3d.m_3 Forumite
    152 Posts
    Reckon the Bold 9700 would be totally obsolete in 24 months, it is their flagship phone afterall. The 24m deals for the phone seem pretty decent and the phone, imo, wont be too old and the tech will still be in use in 24m i'd imagine...
    9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    d.m wrote: »
    Reckon the Bold 9700 would be totally obsolete in 24 months, it is their flagship phone afterall. The 24m deals for the phone seem pretty decent and the phone, imo, wont be too old and the tech will still be in use in 24m i'd imagine...

Probably - I would prefer Nokia e71....for that type of phone!
  • d.m_3d.m_3 Forumite
    152 Posts
    OneADay wrote: »
    Probably - I would prefer Nokia e71....for that type of phone!
    Carphone Warehouse are doing the new Nokia e72 for £25 a month, 600 mins, unlimited texts, no data though and the phones free on 02. 24m of course.
  • it depends how much you paying monthly, i tuk out 24 months contract with g2 paying 15 quids but not only fone , i get unlimited text landlines t-mobile calls and internet..

so i dont mind going for even 36 month contract with this deal..
  • fiendishlycleverfiendishlyclever Forumite
    462 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    secretmsg wrote: »
    it depends how much you paying monthly, i tuk out 24 months contract with g2 paying 15 quids but not only fone , i get unlimited text landlines t-mobile calls and internet..

so i dont mind going for even 36 month contract with this deal..

I see where your name comes from :) Perhaps you could upgrade the spellcheck on your computer instead of the phone next time.....
  • d.m_3d.m_3 Forumite
    152 Posts
    Anymore opinions on this before i tie the knot later today with my 9700 blackberry..
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals