Pipex Broadband , what a dreadful bunch!!!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
7 replies 738 views
krisskrosskrisskross
7.7K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
My sad story begins in June. I was moving and needed a broadband connection in my new home. I decided after looking on these forums to try Pipex. I went to their website and ordered online, giving the phone number I was living at then as the contact and the phone number at the new place as the one to install the internet service.

Things went downhill very swiftly, I waited the allotted 7-10 days nothing. Phoned customer services, spent many happy half hours listening to piped music to be told merely that installation had failed. A couple of phone calls later it turns out there is an error with the post code of the property, it has a zero which has been sustituted with a 9. However eventually I apparently have the service activated but still no modem. Another couple of phone calls later they send one out by special delivery, despite telling me on several occasions that "of course it has been despatched".

So all has been wellish, I lose my connection several times a day but hey ho most of the time I have it. I also note that they have taken no payments although the direct debit mandate has been in place for 2 months.

The person living at my previous address phones me and tells me Pipex have left several messages for me. Why they do not try the phone number where I have the broadband installed or the e-mail address they gave me is beyond me.

Anyway it transpires they are concerned about my outstanding bill........£85!!
How do you come by that figure I ask when I get my breath back.

£30 for 2 months patchy service...ok
£18 for the modem.....oh no it was £5 on your website
£7.50 to deliver said modem...hardly my fault Pipex lied then had to send it special delivery
£20 connection fee
plus some other stuff that I was so apoplectic I didn't take it in.

The guy then says he will deduct most of it leaving me with £35 to pay, 2 months rental plus £5 for the modem. BUT they will take the whole £85 by direct debit, then refund me. Oh no I yell, get me a supervisor. Can't do that he says, we have to send the supervisor a request to phone you.

Just to add this chap had no idea why they hadn't taken any money via the DD, and I have had absolutely nothing in writing from Pipex since it all began. The only paper I have is their original e-mail which I printed. My username and password were given to me over the phone during one of my very expensive phone calls with them.

Sorry about how long this is, hope I have not bored you too much.
Any ideas on how to proceed?

Replies

• looby75looby75 Forumite
    23.4K Posts
    I'm really shocked at this, we have been with pipex for years and have had NO problems at all, in fact I've recommended them to loads of people and they have all had good experiences with them too.

It might be worth posting this over on the Internet board, someone there will probably be able to advise you what to do next to get this sorted out. I'm sure that if you speak to the right people at pipex you will get this mess sorted.

• Very interesting - I just called Pipex sales team. According to them, the modem is free, with a £7.50 delivery charge. I specifically asked about other charges, such as a connection charge and was told there are no connection charges! Sounds like Pipex are trying it on.

I think a strongly worded letter is in order! Hopefully someone on here will be able to give you the name of a person to write/e-mail.
  • hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a look at my postings re homecall and homecall pipex-sound familiar-Be warned!
  • been with PIPEX 2 weeks, still waiting for them to send me my modem
  • alanobrienalanobrien Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pipex is an ISP that has grown a lot in a short space of time and they have just bought Bulldog and Toucan (announced today).

I hope they focus more attention on customer service but that doesnt seem to go hand in hand with big companies or more specifically radidly growing companies these days.
  • alanobrien wrote:
    Pipex is an ISP that has grown a lot in a short space of time and they have just bought Bulldog and Toucan (announced today).

I hope they focus more attention on customer service but that doesnt seem to go hand in hand with big companies or more specifically radidly growing companies these days.

I've been with Bulldog for over a year and apart from some awful customer service in the early days they managed to turn it around and now I don't have any problems with the service at all.

I've got a really bad feeling about the Pipex take over though :(
  • easym wrote:
    been with PIPEX 2 weeks, still waiting for them to send me my modem

LOL.
    I have now got a netgear router and although I haven't quite mastered the wireless bit, it works well connected. Haven't lost my connection once since ditching the modem Pipex supplied. Pipex still haven't taken any money, and what really annoyed me was to find out that they had passed my details to a third party to collect my "debt".
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals