Oh no its another what would you do thread

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
52 replies 4.7K views

Replies

• I agree with the nit nurse.....what i dont agree with is a school secretary pulling my child out of class in front of her friends.... checking/touching my childs head for nits.....when did she become the nurse??
    A secretary........It usually takes 3 years of training to become a Batchelor of science in nursing sciences......
    :jIm going to be frugal:j
    :DIm going to be frugal:D
    ;)Im going to be frugal;)
    Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................:rotfl:
  • edited 1 December 2009 at 12:16AM
    angukanguk Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 December 2009 at 12:16AM
    Also be grateful that you have your DDs absolute trust in being able to tell you anything and know that you as her mum would stick up for her if she was being bullied by an adult in an alleged "safe place" for our children.
    I'm sorry but how is checking a 5 year old child's head for nits bullying? that just seems to me like a complete over-reaction. :confused:

OP, my guess is either other children have been checked or your daughter has been scratching her head.

I thought the school was "in loco parentis", "in place of the parent"? As a parent I would check my child's hair for nits if she was itching, therefore I have no problem with the school doing that.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • BitterAndTwistedBitterAndTwisted Forumite
    22.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mumoffour77 I think you are either overwrought or have some strange sort of agenda. Going in all guns blazing is not the adult way to resolve any sort of difficulty in most circumstances
  • angukanguk Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the nit nurse.....what i dont agree with is a school secretary pulling my child out of class in front of her friends.... checking/touching my childs head for nits.....when did she become the nurse??
    A secretary........It usually takes 3 years of training to become a Batchelor of science in nursing sciences......
    But the secretary didn't pull her out of the class in front of her friends? The op says her daughter had to go to see the secretary so it sounds to me like her teacher maybe had concerns about the itching and sent her? :confused:

And I'm sorry but you don't need a nursing degree to be able to spot nits/head lice. I can spot them and I've had no nursing training at all and I'm guessing anyone who has kids or works with kids can spot them too.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • edited 1 December 2009 at 12:26AM
    mumoffour77mumoffour77 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    edited 1 December 2009 at 12:26AM
    anguk wrote: »
    I'm sorry but how is checking a 5 year old child's head for nits bullying? that just seems to me like a complete over-reaction. :confused:the child was taken out of class sorry asked to go to the secretaries office ....her friend teased/ ribbed her about it.......OP said she was miffed....when a child feels uncomfortable about something or is made to feel different esp at a very early age it is a form of bullying!

OP, my guess is either other children have been checked or your daughter has been scratching her head.

I thought the school was "in loco patentis", "in place of the parent"? As a parent I would check my child's hair for nits if she was itching, therefore I have no problem with the school doing that.Teacher fine........secretary not so fine![/QUOTE]

Im just letting OP know what I would do in that situation, having a child who was bullied from a very early age by both peers and just one teacher (just the once mind) It can lead on to social issues.....DD btw has a severe skin condition for which she is on immunesupressants, she was also pulled in for scratching her head....DD sees a psychologist as she has some confidence issues she is now 7
  • anguk wrote: »
    And this is why there is such a big problem with nits nowadays. When my son was at primary school they still had the "nit nurse" who would regularly check the children's heads and any child with nits was sent home with a note and instructions.

When my daughter went to primary school all that had stopped because God forbid a nurse should check a childs head. :rolleyes: The result? I had a constant battle to keep my daughter nit free. I would treat her, get rid of the nits, and within weeks she would catch them again from the children whose parents either didn't or didn't bother.

I discussed this problem with the school and was told that while the teachers knew which children had nits (sometimes it would be so bad that they'd see the nits running through the hair) they weren't "allowed" to say anything to the parents or send that child home with a letter. All the school could do was send a letter home with every child with information about head lice.

Bring back Nitty Nora I say! :D

That's not why School Nurses stopped checking for lice in school (and don;t call one Nitty Nora to her face - they don't like it, with good reason). They stopped because there was no point checking children en masse on a given day, and saying clear or not clear. A child with no lice today could have them tomorrow, so it was pointless.

It's a parent's job to check for and treat lice, not a school's, and not a School Nurse's. That School Nurse will have her time taken up becoming a Social Worker these days. Of course, if a school notice lice, they should approach parents.
    ******** Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity *******
    "Always be calm and polite, and have the materials to make a bomb"
  • mumoffour77 I think you are either overwrought or have some strange sort of agenda. Going in all guns blazing is not the adult way to resolve any sort of difficulty in most circumstances

Yes maybe......

Im just letting OP know what I would do in that situation, having a child who was bullied from a very early age by both peers and just one teacher (just the once mind) It can lead on to social issues.....DD btw has a severe skin condition for which she is on immunesupressants, she was also pulled in for scratching her head....DD sees a psychologist as she has some confidence issues she is now 7
  • MamabearMamabear Forumite
    226 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Yes, I (mostly but not blindly) trust them.

I definitely know when my 'baby' speaks with 'forked tongue'

DD has mild eczema so it may have been that (but I couldn't see any dry skin) so the scratching is a definite maybe.

I don't yet know if I could see one, haven't seen 1 yet (not counting my chickens though).

It actually happened last week but I just have a little niggle telling me that something needs to be addressed so I think I'll probably just check with her in the morning.

Thanks all
    Peek-a-boo
  • Mamabear, goodluck:)

Take DD to your local chemist, they are usually trained in nit busting:) they will show you pics of what to look for.....also if your DD has eczema there are some things that can really irritate her scalp/face/ears etc the pharnacist will be able to advise you:D
  • BitterAndTwistedBitterAndTwisted Forumite
    22.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes maybe......

I understand your position: it's difficult sometimes when our own experience colours our view of others' situations. I'm deeply sorry that your little 'un suffered in such a way. Poor little mite
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals