Oh no its another what would you do thread

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
52 replies 4.7K views
MamabearMamabear Forumite
226 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭
I've been searching till I'm blue in the face but I can't find any similar scenarios.

DD (5yo) told me she had to go to see the school secretary who 'checked her head (with moving hair actions). She (school secretary) asked is dd's head itched to which DD replied '"sometimes". She wasn't aware of anyone else being sent to the secretary's office and was a bit miffed as 1 of her pals had ribbed her about 2being sent to see the Head for a telling off"

I use a nitty gritty comb weekly and she doesn't have nits. Whilst I don't have a problem with DD being checked I don't like the idea of her being singled out for checking.

Is it time for a polite word, do you think?
Peek-a-boo

Replies

• edited 30 November 2009 at 11:25PM
    mumoffour77mumoffour77 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    edited 30 November 2009 at 11:25PM
    A school secretary should NOT be touching your childs head!
    A school secretary should not be touching your child full stop.
    Polite word............if it were me..........Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    How dare she!

I would be having more than words.....I would be making an official complaint to social services, education board and let the principle know your doing this!

Teachers are not allowed to comfort a child....seriously, they could lose their job over the head of it......why should a secretary be allowed to touch your child
    Teachers are not allowed to even tell you they think your child has nits/lice.....they are only allowed to send out a recommendation from the school nurse advising parents to check their childs hair!!

why was your DD singled out and embarassed in front of her friends???

Grrrrrrrrrrr
    :jIm going to be frugal:j
    :DIm going to be frugal:D
    ;)Im going to be frugal;)
    Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................:rotfl:
  • PaparikaPaparika Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your daughter may not be aware of any other children being sent in.

tbh, if you are possitive that she doesnt have nits then alls well, ask the sectreary what rights she had to check your daughters hair and in future to make sure you are happy with this
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • BitterAndTwistedBitterAndTwisted Forumite
    22.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would a five-year-old child know the difference between a school secretary and a school nurse?
  • Ruby_MoonRuby_Moon Forumite
    521 Posts
    ✭✭
    Mamabear wrote: »
    I've been searching till I'm blue in the face but I can't find any similar scenarios.

DD (5yo) told me she had to go to see the school secretary who 'checked her head (with moving hair actions). She (school secretary) asked is dd's head itched to which DD replied '"sometimes". She wasn't aware of anyone else being sent to the secretary's office and was a bit miffed as 1 of her pals had ribbed her about 2being sent to see the Head for a telling off"

I use a nitty gritty comb weekly and she doesn't have nits. Whilst I don't have a problem with DD being checked I don't like the idea of her being singled out for checking.

Is it time for a polite word, do you think?
    Just leave it. Kids get things mixed up and out of context all the time. Invariably, they never get the tale right.
    You really cannot know for sure from a 5 year old that no other child was checked at all and even if they only do spot checks on say 2 children a day, so what?
    No harm comes from any of it.
    521 Posts
    ✭✭
    How dare she!

I would be having more than words.....I would be making an official complaint to social services, education board and let the principle know your doing this!

Teachers are not allowed to comfort a child....seriously, they could lose their job over the head of it......why should a secretary be allowed to touch your child
    Teachers are not allowed to even tell you they think your child has nits/lice.....they are only allowed to send out a recommendation from the school nurse advising parents to check their childs hair!!

Grrrrrrrrrrr

And this is exactly why schools are in the messes that they are with teachers too afraid to do their jobs. Too many parents getting all bent out of shape when they only have the words of a 5 year old to go on.
    Seriously, a 5 year old hasn't a clue who is what and how it all works out at a school. :rolleyes:
  • MamabearMamabear Forumite
    226 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    mumoffour77 - thanks. Its not really that kind of schools, the (younger) kids are always hugging the teachers and I would hate to change that. I'm not planning on going in all guns blazing but I do want to make sure that they aren't singling random kids out - for any reason.

Paprika - my daughter could tell you what she had for christmas 3 years ago (and what colour paper it was wrapped in). She scares me sometimes ;)

BitterANDTwisted - see above. Yes, she could name them and spell their names too...

Ruby Moon - Very level. DH agrees but this is her second year at the school and I' fairly sure that isn't the case. I'm not particularly worried about dd's welfare but I think its wrong that any child be singled out.
    Peek-a-boo
  • edited 30 November 2009 at 11:54PM
    mumoffour77mumoffour77 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    edited 30 November 2009 at 11:54PM
    OK then OP go ask in the am if your DD was telling the truth....if she was then start questioning!

Personally....I know my DD well enough to tell me the truth.....and I know she would tell me the truth when she was 5.....DD knew the school secretary when she was in P1, she also knew the principle, her dinner lady, school caretaker.....

Also be grateful that you have your DDs absolute trust in being able to tell you anything and know that you as her mum would stick up for her if she was being bullied by an adult in an alleged "safe place" for our children.

Im not against caring for children or about children.......I would hate to think my DD was being singled out by a secretary....esp knowing she had a clean head!!
    :jIm going to be frugal:j
    :DIm going to be frugal:D
    ;)Im going to be frugal;)
    Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................:rotfl:
    521 Posts
    ✭✭
    Mamabear wrote: »
    mumoffour77 - thanks. Its not really that kind of schools, the (younger) kids are always hugging the teachers and I would hate to change that. I'm not planning on going in all guns blazing but I do want to make sure that they aren't singling random kids out - for any reason.

Paprika - my daughter could tell you what she had for christmas 3 years ago (and what colour paper it was wrapped in). She scares me sometimes ;)

BitterANDTwisted - see above. Yes, she could name them and spell their names too...

Ruby Moon - Very level. DH agrees but this is her second year at the school and I' fairly sure that isn't the case. I'm not particularly worried about dd's welfare but I think its wrong that any child be singled out.
    I am positive that she will not be singled out. Us parents need to put trust in the schools and let the teachers have time to do their jobs with respect.
    It is very difficult for them to do that at times when things like this occur and parents get too protective.
    If it is something that is really really bothering you because you know for a fact she is being singled out, then have a quiet word. Otherwise, just be glad that the school are interested in the welfare of all the children.
    521 Posts
    ✭✭
    OK then OP go ask he am if your DD was telling the truth....if she was then start questioning!

Personally....I know my DD well enough to tell me the truth.....and I know she would tell me the truth when she was 5.....DD knew the school secretary when she was in P1, she also knew the principle, her dinner lady, school caretaker.....

Also be grateful that you have your DDs absolute trust in being able to tell you anything and know that you as her mum would stick up for her if she was being bullied by an adult in an alleged "safe place" for our children.
    Oh dear. :rolleyes:
  • angukanguk Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    How dare she!

Grrrrrrrrrrr
    And this is why there is such a big problem with nits nowadays. When my son was at primary school they still had the "nit nurse" who would regularly check the children's heads and any child with nits was sent home with a note and instructions.

When my daughter went to primary school all that had stopped because God forbid a nurse should check a childs head. :rolleyes: The result? I had a constant battle to keep my daughter nit free. I would treat her, get rid of the nits, and within weeks she would catch them again from the children whose parents either didn't care or didn't bother.

I discussed this problem with the school and was told that while the teachers knew which children had nits (sometimes it would be so bad that they'd see the nits running through the hair) they weren't "allowed" to say anything to the parents or send that child home with a letter. All the school could do was send a letter home with every child with information about head lice.

Bring back Nitty Nora I say! :D
    Dum Spiro Spero
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals