November 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 October 2009 at 3:47PM in Old Style MoneySaving
928 replies 57.5K views

Replies

• rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    welcome back Botany :hello: I think a 2 week challenge is a great idea to ease yourself back in gently!

I was planning on doing a little shopping today but I forgot :o I must be enjoying unpacking boxes too much :D so another NSD (though I might make a small ebay purchase later this evening for a christmas pressie)

I'll be shoppping tomorrow but only buying a couple of things I forgot on the mrt delivery this week plus the usual friday chippy take out for lunch with my fairy godmother
    good luck for the last stretch of the month everyone smilies.gif
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Good evening everyone, hugs to those not feeling too well.
    Sorry i have hardly posted at all this month (my first in the grocery challenge - long time lurker) due to a suspected trapped nerve in my neck for the past 10 days or so, but i have been keeping up with the challenge, and have managed to have plenty of nsd ( is it cheating if you can't get out to shop? lol) and am still on target to end the month on/under budget, dispite having spent two thirds of my budget.
    At the beginning of the month i had to do a very large store shop, and have tried to do small weekly top ups since then. My cupboards are groaning under the weight of food and even my small freezer is nearly full.
    Thank you so much for all the lovely recipes and tips that are helping me to think about what i buy and how best to plan my shopping and cooking.

Sorry for the long post, and good luck for the rest of the month

Anne

• JulimkJulimk Forumite
    349 Posts
    Small spend today on some whoopsied lamb mince. Not really needed but there was still enough in the budget & I still have £1.40 available. However, it is payday on Monday, so I am hoping that this is it now for this month.

I was able to check my payslip today & have calculated that I will have about tuppence ha’penny available after the bills are paid & before even food! On the plus side it should be a short month, as we usually get paid early in December, and I should get a bonus in December’s pay.

As I am extremely well stocked up at the moment I am going to pop over to the storecupboard challenge for the month & use what I have in to keep the spends down. I will need a GC budget for milk, fresh f&v etc. So will have to have a careful think about how much will be needed.
  • pammyj74pammyj74 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    would love to join although a bit late but i have been keeping track all month
    £120

of which i have spent this month £87.20 so far

will have a big read through the thread for more tips etc
    i have enough in freezer for rest of month i think, so will just need bread, milk and fruit for rest of next week really.
    is there a nsd thread or do i put this here as well (altho I havent kept track of that but will next month)
    MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 :T MB Jan 10 ~ £82,377 Dec 13 ~ £29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 :eek: NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!! :j
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    welcome to the GC pammy! Helen Jelly will be along soon to add your name to the front page list. Most people just put a note of their NSD's in their signature. Good luck! :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • thanks, I thought that was the case, will start mine next month. I take it that it means ANY spend not just groceries. So like a spend on a book or stamps etc
    basically not spend any money on anything at all. I think i can manage to do 18-20 days but not sure :o
    MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 :T MB Jan 10 ~ £82,377 Dec 13 ~ £29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 :eek: NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!! :j
  • pammyj74 wrote: »
    thanks, I thought that was the case, will start mine next month. I take it that it means ANY spend not just groceries. So like a spend on a book or stamps etc
    basically not spend any money on anything at all. I think i can manage to do 18-20 days but not sure :o

Hi and welcome, I have added your name to the front page, don't forget to look at the great recipe posts that Rosieben looks after [also on page 1]. Please feel free to ask any questions, there are great people on here who are always willing to help out. I set my budget and use it for food and household cleaning bits but that is just me, we all use our budgets in different ways, its really down to what suits you. Happy no shopping, Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • Flat_EricFlat_Eric Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr T sent me some money off vouchers today so I cancelled my home delivery order and did it again this time taking advantage of the voucher :j

It seems a lot £100 plus.... but this doesnt take account of the vouchers (£11.00 odd) plus all the offers I have bought.

I was tempted to do little christmas hampers for my family (little bottles of wine, small xmas pudd, chocolate coins, other chocolate (ferreo rocher / toblerone etc) plus scratch cards but at one point my order was £250 :eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek:so I have scrapped that idea for now.... Perhaps next year.

Im batch cooking a beef madras curry at the weekend (saturday) and beef casserole (sunday) so not only will this do for meals on those days but I can freeze the leftovers and have lovely warming home made meals without the work :-)

Ive bought a diary to write my meals plans in and it helpfully has blank shopping lists at the back so soon I hope to be super organised :D

I also bought a good housekeeping book on meal planning and it has some lovely recipes in it :j

• SunnydaySunnyday Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

i`ve not posted much but i`m still here :D

I`m still struggling with less than half a kitchen to work in but managing atm, i just have to carefully plan when i`m going to cook. I find that if i can get a couple of days in advance then all is well and i`m so pleased that we haven`t managed to resort to any takeaways at all :j

I`m also saving the shopping reciepts for the Mr M`s £25 Christmas offer, i wasn`t going to do this as it means that i have to spend all my grocery budget in one supermarket and that isn`t the way that i shop any more.
    When we go shopping we take Dad with us every week so now Dads shopping goes on the conveyor first and ours straight afterwards and we get a subtotal in between, we pay for all the shopping on the bank card and Dad gives us the cash later. At Christmas we will split the voucher and have £12.50 each so we now have the best of both worlds :D

My last shop was in MrM 3 days ago and i managed to get the salmon which is on offer and also the 3 tubes of pringles for 37p glitch, really pleased with this, the salmon has been cut into portions and frozen and i now have 14 portions for a little over £8 :D on the downside i don`t think that my freezer is ever going to get defrosted - i`ve been trying to empty it for months.

I`ve finally managed to catch up with the thread and hope to read every couple of days from now on - nice to hear that you are all doing so well.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • mark55manmark55man Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    small shop (£20) at Mr L. today lunchbox stuff, F&V, some things for baking cakes, coke & beans. oh and chocolate
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour/Drinking milk shakes cold & long/Smiling & waving & looking so fine
    Weight 30/08/2021:98kg - YTD: +1.5kg, Trips to tip: 07/52 - Rooms Decluttered: 0.5/4 - Aug Steps (L:Av:H):(1582:10827:20433)
    Debt 01/01/2021:£107.5K -- YTD:[email protected]%:£3k - Mortgage Neutral Pot:£14.9K/£90.6K - EF:£3.6K/£10K
    Debt Reduction 2018:£20K 2019:£16K 2020:£37.5K 2021 Repay 30/08/21: £32K = (£107.5K-(M:90.6k+CC3:3k-MN:14.9k-EF:3.6k))
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals