Chillis.. when are they ripe?

I am currently growing some chilli's.. to be precise Habanero's (as I like my food hot :eek: ) but I have no idea when to pick the chillis?

My plants have got pretty big now (planted the seeds back in November) and 3 of them have chillis hanging off them but at what stage do I pick them?

NM

P.S. Any recipe suggestions welcomed.
Lady Astor: "Winston, if I were your wife I'd put poison in your coffee."

Sir Winston Churchill: "Nancy, if I were your husband I'd drink it."

Replies

• NileNile Forumite
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hello NastyMatt

I'll move your thread over to the 'Oldstyle' board, where the experts will help you.;)

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"][email protected][/EMAIL].

Regards

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • tim_ntim_n Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I read a few facts on this a while back - I do remember that you have to shock the plants (so wait for a full harvest before attempting it!) by over watering then letting the roots dry out completely. The shock increases the potency and heat of the chillies apparently. Not done it so google or wait for some more replies!
    Tim
  • You can ususall smell the heat when they are ready, we have been picking for a few weeks but only this week have they been stronger smelling and much hotter!
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • simontssimonts Forumite
    349 Posts
    I tried a few Habanero's last year in Mexico...there was me thinking I eat jalapeno's for a snack so cant be that bad....boy was i wrong
    Debt Free Marathon: Start 01/06/09 £16714 - Current Position £14514 - Finish Line Xmas 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland now offers interest-free loans

But be careful - they'll impact your credit score

MSE News

Vanilla, veg & vexatious neighbours

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Up to 10% off Macs and iPads

For students, teachers & parents of students

MSE Deals