MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Serena pay twice for Blair?

edited 3 November 2009 at 6:04PM in Money Saving Polls
90 replies 18.8K views

Replies

• Haha this happened to me when my best friend got married, although I have to say I put on a stone in the five months between fittings, not two weeks! With three weeks to go til the big day I lost it in time with loads and loads of exercise and cake-dodging..
  • LOUY_2LOUY_2 Forumite
    57 Posts
    Blair probably has no money left to buy a dress herself if she has eaten that much !!
    Mortgage when started (Dec 2005): £120,000
    Current mortgage (March 2011): £98,563
    Update (Jan 2014): £89,639
    Mortgage free day: Jan 2034
  • If someone knows that they will be bridesmaid at a wedding, they would not be so irresponsible to go a bit crazy shortly before and put on a load of weight (unless there is a JOLLY GOOD REASON such as suffering from severe clinical depression) so NO make her pay for the dress herself. Or find another bridesmaid!
  • wildthing01wildthing01 Forumite
    328 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    i never realised there was all this politics about who should pay for what at a wedding. i've seen so many friends nearly have breakdowns with the stress and expense of organising the 'perfect' wedding. the answer is to do what i did - have a low-key wedding, no bridesmaids, no stress, very little expense. we had afabulous day, a wonderful honeymoon (affordable cos we'd spent so little on the wedding) and started married life with no stress and no debt. it should be about the marriage (life-long) not just the wedding (one day).

if i'd had bridesmaids, i'd have felt very awkward askign them to pay for their own dresses - it's not as if they can easily wear them again, if they've been designed/chosen specifically for the wedding - why should they pay when it's the bride's big day?

i think in this case, there must be a compromise. if the dress is off the peg, it must be exchangeable. if specifically made for the event, then a seamstress should easily be able to insert some panels of toning fabric etc to make it the right size. i've sat in the loos at a ball before, altering a friend's dress that turned out to be the wrong size, with a borrowed needle and thread!!!

btw, i don't think everyone should be criticising blair for the weight gain - you don't know anything about her or her circumstances. having been the same (very slim) size my whole adult life, i managed to put on a stone in about 3 weeks, simply by stopping breast-feeding - didn't make any other changes to my diet or excercise regimes. so stop judging people you don't know!!!!
  • No. After all she will keep the dress and she is an ADULT. She should have had a bit more self control!:rolleyes:
  • Of course Serena should buy Blair a new dress...

...and make sure the style adds 3 stone to Blair's appearance!
  • TaadaaTaadaa Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    I am getting married next year (yay!!) and I have two skinny maids and a ahem curvy one. She said she was going on a diet, I wasn't expecting her to, but when I saw her recently she has put even more weight on. I was expecting to have to pay to have her dress made in the same style as I don't believe the likes of monsoon and coast will do a size 26, but now I have realised that it is going to affect the style of the dress as well if she doesn't lose any weight. I wasn't expecting her to until she said she was going on a diet. Can hardly do a strapless number can I? It will need to be reinforced with steel rods. I am dreading going shopping. She has lost weight before then put it all back on again anyway, and if that does happen I certainly won't be buying her another dress I can assure you. She will have to get another herself or drop out. Ho hum...
    I have had many Light Bulb Moments. The trouble is someone keeps turning the bulb off :o

1% over payments on cc 3.5/100 (March 2014)
  • I think Serena should buy her some duck tape to put round her mouth! then she would lose weight in the 2 weeks, after all does Serena really want the fat moo in her photos!
    If the dresses were made then there would probably not be time to make another, if they were bought then Blair should offer to buy another if they can find one! but still thats a lot of stress to put on the bride to be!

Other wise Blair should just learn a big lesson from this and learn to handle commitment to things and people.

If it was me (depending on the friendship) I would chose someone else or have one bridesmaid less, if it was a really close (bestfriend) then you would work it out together and maybe even laugh about it!
    :heart: BIG Thank you to Competition posters & the person who created the "entered" button! :heart:
  • Taadaa wrote: »
    I am getting married next year (yay!!) and I have two skinny maids and a ahem curvy one. She said she was going on a diet, I wasn't expecting her to, but when I saw her recently she has put even more weight on. I was expecting to have to pay to have her dress made in the same style as I don't believe the likes of monsoon and coast will do a size 26, but now I have realised that it is going to affect the style of the dress as well if she doesn't lose any weight. I wasn't expecting her to until she said she was going on a diet. Can hardly do a strapless number can I? It will need to be reinforced with steel rods. I am dreading going shopping. She has lost weight before then put it all back on again anyway, and if that does happen I certainly won't be buying her another dress I can assure you. She will have to get another herself or drop out. Ho hum...

This is probably really mean but..... I would drop the curvy one as if she is that curvy do you really want all that stress of finding a dress and her in your wedding photos!?
    :heart: BIG Thank you to Competition posters & the person who created the "entered" button! :heart:
  • One word RESPONSIBILITY; she who was responsible for gaining size should be responsible for losing it or at least putting things right i.e. stump up for a new dress. It probably won't cost as much as the food eaten on holiday as I expect the irresponsible larger person was too lazy to self cater!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals