electricity supply

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
6 replies 1.7K views
Legacy_userLegacy_user Forumite
0 Posts
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
I'm trying to get an electricity supply installed to my garage but have been quoted 2k by my local electricty board i can't see any way of getting a cheaper quote as this is the only supplier - any ideas anyone?

Replies

• Use the yellow pages for a local electrician, they should be able to quote you for running a cable to your garage. Normally, I would get three written quotes before consigning some one to do the work.

Good Luck
  • cath-wcath-w Forumite
    132 Posts
    I agree with talking_sense. You will probably have to dig a trench from your house to the garage as they will take a feed off the house supply. You may have to dig the trench yourself, but you will save money if you do this anyway.

It is usually best to get a seperate fuse box put in the garage too.

C.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to get an electricity supply installed to my garage but have been quoted 2k by my local electricty board

Glad my husband is an electrician then. Hes saved us a fortune!!!
  • Woby_TideWoby_Tide Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess this is only valid if your garage is near your house and you are not meaning a stand alone garage you rent/own elsewhere otherwise it's a long trench! :D
  • cath-wcath-w Forumite
    132 Posts
    I guess this is only valid if your garage is near your house and you are not meaning a stand alone garage you rent/own elsewhere otherwise it's a long trench! :D

Just hire a mini digger and potter off up the street ripping up tarmac - best done in the dead of night. ;D
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ;D ;D ;D
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides