'How many shaves per razor?'

edited 3 November 2009 at 10:18PM in Money Saving Polls
63 replies 17K views

Replies

• paulfoelpaulfoel Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    i use my husband's 5 blade gillette thing - seems to be much kinder to my skin and the blades last for ages (as fewer strokes needed) - i just keep using the blade till it doesn't cut the hairs properly anymore - i've never counted how many times that is!!! also, i never use proper shave foam - too expensive. either use normal shower gel, or body lotion - then you get the shave and moisturising all in one...

i bought him an i-trim as he has sensitive skin and hates a full shave, so i inherited his razor!

Perhaps we should start another poll :-

Men, would you use the same razor that your partner has used to shave her bits :-

A. Top banana. I like it.
    B. No problem.
    C. Not really fussed.
    D. Ewww. minging.

LOL.
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • mehermeher
    15.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just the once, yes sometimes unable to be a money saver :rolleyes: leave me be, thanks muchly

I throw it away only because it says disposable on the cover - I'm obedient :D
  • Dick_hereDick_here Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    minnehaha wrote: »
    Since then have also heard that Asda are slashing the cost of replacement blades

How very appropriate.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • I prefer my (cheap) electric one

but I still voted 21-50, I don't have masses of bear hair so I should get at least 20, although that will be a deteriorated razor
    :o
  • Dick_hereDick_here Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    teddyco wrote: »
    Hardly money saving though, is it.

It's only once a year, luckily :rolleyes:
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • 2 tips from me - always shave after a shower (soap bits to be shaved well) - use aqueous cream instead of shaving cream (real money saver that - big tub at Boots is a pound or two and lasts at least a year - and it is the only thing I have found which doesn't cause razor rash) - on the back of this regime my blades (fusion) last ages - up to 6 months (180 daily shaves) and I have quite a thick beard.
  • david72david72 Forumite
    51 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    I used to only need to shave perhaps 2 or 3 times a week, and I could make a razor blade last for a few weeks before needing replacement. Unfortunately, over the past few years that has gradually changed to really needing to shave at least every other day (where'd that all come from?), and the hair growth means that the blades no longer last as long.

I recently got fed up with the cost of razor blades, and decided to switch to an electric shaver, which does a fairly good job if you remember to use it every other day, but - ouch! - if you leave your beard longer than that. :( However, I find I still need to shave with a razor occasionally in order to get a proper 'clean shave'.

You've got to laugh at the desperation of "the leading brand", though, with their recent adverts on the televisor desperately exhorting men to "upgrade" to the latest over-priced razor and blades..

No, really, we already begrudged paying the too-high prices for the blades for the previous "number one razors", but other than that, were reasonably happy with it: think we're daft enough to spend even more, £10+ for a pack of blades? I don't think so..

Is there actually anybody out there who's been gullible enough to get 'locked-in' to the latest "premium" razors?
  • I don't know how many shaves I get out of a disposable but it must be over 50. The last dispoable lasted 6 months with a shave every day or two. I have found plucking nasal hair with tweezers to be somewhat distracting from worldly problems.
  • I use a holder that has an area built in that you push the blade up after each shave. This cleans it and keeps it sharp. It really does increase the life of the blades by 5 times or so, and stops me putting so many blades into landfill.

:A
  • mcgazzmcgazz Forumite
    37 Posts
    Once. Never more than once. In fact, sometimes, I have to use more than one per shave. Either I've got unusally thick facial hair, or I'm buying terrible razors...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals