Asda Home Shopping - can you credit this response?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
13 replies 1.3K views
Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
43.5K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
If you use Asda Home Shopping, they say you can contact them by email. But I have NEVER had a proper reply to an email sent to them. If it was something I needed an answer to, I've always had to phone them.

The latest gripe concerns their failure to deliver some of my order: there were a few items neither delivered nor charged, but 5 things had been charged and not delivered - presumably left on the van by mistake. The delivery was on Friday evening: I phoned the central number twice then, and again on Saturday morning. They gave me the (wrong) number for the store which delivers my stuff, and as they'd failed to phone me I phoned the store 5 or 6 times throughout Saturday.

Eventually I endured several minutes of Mozart played on the Xylophone because the home shopping lady had failed to return my calls and yes thank you I would hold while she finished another call / was called from picking on the store floor / someone went to find her loading vans by the back door.
After the shopping eventually arrived - well done Gary, at least you understand that when you've made a c0ck-up it's time to stop making excuses and grovel - I sent Asda Home Shopping an email to ask for at least my delivery charge to be refunded, and I asked for a response by email. It sounds as if they phoned on Sunday morning to say no-one would be available to deal with my email until Monday, but one can never be certain when a teenager takes the message, and I did ask them to email. OK I didn't specifically say "Please don't phone" but if a customer says "I would like a response by email" then does it sound as if they want you to phone? ???

Anyway, Monday has just finished and they have neither phoned nor emailed me today so I've sent them a chaser email. But I'm not holding my breath.

Name and email address for chief exec or MD of Asda, anyone?
Still knitting!
Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!

Replies

• Here's Asda head office details, can't think of the surname of the guy you want but he's called Tony...

Asda Head Office Asda Stores Limited Asda House South Bank Great Wilson Street
    Leeds LS11 5AD Tel: 0113 2418412 Website: https://www.asda.co.uk
    :D :D
  • Tony de Nunzio is the man you're after  :)

Asda president and chief executive
    :D :D
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Aussie. Think he'll be getting a letter from me: I asked for a 'Read' receipt when I sent the email on Saturday night / Sunday morning, and they appear to have 'read' it twice, the first time on Monday evening and then again this evening. The one I sent on Monday evening hasn't yet had a receipt. But no-one's actually replied to the email. I ask you!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    43.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't quite believe this. Four days after I sent an email of complaint, I got this response:

Thank you for your email.

Could you please email me a valid question

Look forward to hearing from you shortly

Now I know my email had only one question mark, right at the end of a detailed statement of how difficult it had been to get everything I'd been charged for delivered, and it was "Can Asda supply a reliable home shopping service?". But I started with this:

"I am writing to complain about the difficulties I experienced with my latest order, and I would like a response by email please. I would also like, at the very least, to have my delivery charge refunded to compensate me for the time I have spent on the telephone to you and to Asda Patchway."

To anyone with a reasonable command of the English language, are there not two valid questions there? To wit: "Please can someone email me?" and "Please can I have my delivery charge refunded?"
    Still knitting!
  • 1601199616011996 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    thats terrible. hope you get it sorted.
    43.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An update to this saga. Early in January I wrote to Tony de Nunzio saying how dissatisfied I'd been, and saying that I felt discriminated against because I never seemed to get a satisfactory reply to emails, if indeed I had any response at all.

It took a few days, but I got a reply from him with a £20 gift card. And he said that all emails should get a response within 2 hours.

Armed with that information, I've placed another order with the home shopping service. We shall see ...

BTW, I often say I feel discriminated against if I can't use email to contact companies, and point out that many people prefer not to use the phone because of hearing or other difficulties. In my own case I CAN use the phone, although I rarely have time to do so at work, and I am losing my hearing. But email is free, so why should I pay? Especially as I can express myself so much better in writing without someone from "customer services" reading a script instead of listening to what I say? ;)
    Still knitting!
  • tifftiff Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Sue, I'm starting work in Asda Patchway next week for an outside company, will let them know their customer service stinks lol
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • picklepickle Forumite
    611 Posts
    ✭✭
    "all emails should get a response within 2 hours" - i hear that word should a lot. How about you? Every time you make a complaint about something it's always "it should'a happened" - but it NEVER DOES.
    43.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tiff wrote:
    Hi Sue, I'm starting work in Asda Patchway next week for an outside company, will let them know their customer service stinks lol
    Just remembered, I nipped in there just before christmas and there was a lady doing surveys for an outside company. I said I rarely used Asda now, much preferred Morrisons, and she agreed with me! Quite uncomplimentary about Asda, I thought she was actually quite unprofessional about it, don't suppose Asda would have been very happy if they'd been able to hear her, together we were singing Morrion's praises!
    Still knitting!
    43.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shopping arrived OK, nothing missing from what they said should be there, and in good time. But one of the bottles of milk had leaked all over the place so I sent off an email on Friday night. Still waiting for a reply ... so much for the two hour response time!
    Still knitting!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals