October 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 September 2009 at 5:43PM in Old Style MoneySaving
890 replies 51.7K views

Replies

• patentgirlpatentgirl Forumite
    994 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hello everybody my month fininshed on 24th was doing really well till last few days then ended up going to Asda and spent more than I wanted too but was on bargains that will see me through first week of Novembers challenge so Octobers total was £325! know now that it can be done so £300 again please for November
    Frugal challenge 2022 
    March food challenge £300  spent £123.17
  • lizboblizbob Forumite
    128 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    can i join please? i'm aiming for £300 for 3 of us for the month of November wish me luck!
  • Eltee12Eltee12 Forumite
    768 Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Woo hoo

I think I will be under budget for October - am up to £400 out of £450. we've a mini-shop coming up on Wednesday - should be around £30. hoping for 2 NSDs before then - yaay:j
    2018 AFD 23/240
    2018 CCC #11 £38.40/£250
    Mortgage-free since 2013

Debt-free since Nov 2017
  • Im really proud of my first attempt at this challenge and have just squeezed in under target by £2.73!!! :j:j Im really enjoying doing it and have done a freezer inventory so now plan to make more use of meals that I already have. Im going to go for the same Target for November though of £360 for the month and then maybe reduce after Christmas.

I love this thread :beer:
  • A NSD for me today so I can declare October GC £249.83.:j

Please put me down for £250 for November, thanks Helen. My new month starts tomorrow and I think I will need to go to the shops but only for some Fruit & Veg so it will be a slow start to the month.;)

Dinner tonight is a Curry using leftover Lamb from last nights Roast and the kids have said they want Pancakes for Pud, thought that was a good idea, why do we only eat them on Pancake Day? Off now to rustle everything together, have a good evening everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• I am declaring at £297.17 for October, as I have organised an Asda delivery for Wednesday, and there will be all the basics to take away for the weekend with us included in that delivery. Any other bits and pieces we want whilst we are away can come out of the holiday pot! I will aim to come in at under £300 again for November. Thanks!
    December GC: £350
  • oceanspiritoceanspirit Forumite
    811 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've really enjoyed the challenge this month. I did think I was going to struggle to keep in budget at one point, but thanks to last week's great whoopsie haul with the veg my freezer is now full of hm soups and stews. I'm loving the creative cooking that I do to use up all the veg at the end of each week.

I'm also very pleased with the tiny amount of food thrown away this month compared with the embarrassing amounts pre-GC - two bananas and one small green potato out of the bag I bought last week. I shall be keeping on top of this and hopefully won't bin anything at all next month.

Helen, please can I declare at £60.04 for October and put down £60.00 for November. Thank you!

November is going to be 5 weeks so I shall eke out the same amount of money as I did for October. I don't want to use up the freezer stocks at the moment because I want to be prepared in case of catching any lurgies over the winter!
    Decluttering 489/1011
    Deleting old emails 340/2022
    Decluttering Awards:
    🏅
  • natsingnatsing Forumite
    555 Posts
    I actually came in under budget this month- £129, please count me in for £130 again in November.
    Debt free 11/05/11!

Savings £4000/ £300
  • edited 27 October 2009 at 12:06AM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 27 October 2009 at 12:06AM
    :Dyay ! I am declaring for October £114.97. £5.03 under budget:j:j
    New 4 week cycle starts tomorrow £120.00 fingers crossed I can do it again:D
    I am so pleased, and I have also used quite a bit of stuff up from my freezer
  • JanaeJanae Forumite
    177 Posts
    Hi
    Am declaring £357.12 for October, £7.88 under budget :j.
    Helen, please could you put me down for £354 for November, a 31 day month for me, still calculating at £80/week. Thank you!
    GC April 93.92/500
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals