Forum Home» Credit File & Ratings

How to obtain credit reports - Page 43

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

How to obtain credit reports

edited 29 August 2013 at 4:07PM in Credit File & Ratings
895 replies 312.4K views

Replies

• I am considering moving credit cards - I haven't done this for nearly 12 months now, would you suggest its work me going to Experian or Equifax for a report? For peace of mind perhaps?
  • I am considering moving credit cards - I haven't done this for nearly 12 months now, would you suggest its work me going to Experian or Equifax for a report? For peace of mind perhaps?
    Yes, it will cost you just £2. For links, see page 1 of this sticky.

We cannot be absolutely certain which credit card providers search a particular agency's files (lenders do not disclose this information), but anecdotal evidence suggests most use Experian, so that one matters more.

Btw, once you have your paper copy, the credit reference agencies seem happy to answer questions over the phone if you quote your reference number. So if, for instance, you wanted to check that particular items had since been updated, there's no need to order further copies of your credit reports ;)
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • mr6562 wrote: »
    I live in a flat, number 9A, however when I first moved in I had trouble getting a phone line because according to BT there is only a 9 or a 9B. It turned out that according to the postcode search they use I am number 9, (the phone works anyway), and when I used postcode searchers myself it's come up as 9 as well, so I told my bank my new address was 9. The problem now is that I've received the electoral registration form, which is for 9A, and also I started to apply for a card until it searched for my address and came up with 9A, so what should I do? Does the 'A' really matter? Should I change my address with my bank again, and tell BT they've got the wrong address and probably have for years?
    From a finance point of view, the address BT uses is of no consequence, but the electoral roll matters.

Given the existence of flat 9B, 9A would seem logical, but the important thing is to be consistent.

I would contact the electoral services department of your local council for advice. If your flat number can be changed to 9 on the electoral register without affecting another voter, you have that option. If not, you will have to notify your bank accordingly and use 9A from now on.
  • Hi
    Thanks for sharing this information about how to obtain credit reports?
    Its really helpful for me.
  • I'm looking at requesting the statutory credit reports from the 3 main companies, but before I do I've been looking at making sure that all my and my partner's addresses for bills etc match up with the electoral register which we're both registered on and were at our previous addresses as well. I've made sure that our mobile & broadband addresses match up, I was just wondering how exactly everything needs to match up. I'm providing the exact correct electoral addresses to the credit companies, but I've got a few queries.
    Firstly on my broadband and mobile account I have not included my middle initial and can't change my name on the account, is this ok? Also how tight are the companies on the inclusion of Countys on addresses? For example on my bank account details (ive included the middle initial) but ive not currently included the county (in this instance Lancashire)
    Are there any other bills etc that I need to check that they match up as well?

I can understand if there is confusion on the main part of an address (ie my previous address had 2 post codes for the front/back of the building, my home could be described as a flat or apartment, was in a building descibed as either number 72, 72-76, 72/76, and also had a name for the overall building!?!) but i was wondering how strict things are on the things I have mentioned?

Many thanks if anyone can shine some light on this and help me out. You could say its stressing me out a bit!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 25 October 2009 at 7:14PM
    Moggles_2Moggles_2 Forumite
    6.1K posts
    edited 25 October 2009 at 7:14PM
    elliot341 wrote: »
    I'm looking at requesting the statutory credit reports from the 3 main companies, but before I do, I've been looking at making sure that all my and my partner's addresses for bills etc match up with the electoral register which we're both registered on and were at our previous addresses as well. I've made sure that our mobile & broadband addresses match up, I was just wondering how exactly everything needs to match up. I'm providing the exact correct electoral addresses to the credit companies, but I've got a few queries. Firstly, on my broadband and mobile account I have not included my middle initial and can't change my name on the account, is this ok? Also how tight are the companies on the inclusion of Countys on addresses? For example on my bank account details (ive included the middle initial) but ive not currently included the county (in this instance Lancashire) Are there any other bills etc that I need to check that they match up as well?I can understand if there is confusion on the main part of an address (ie my previous address had 2 post codes for the front/back of the building, my home could be described as a flat or apartment, was in a building descibed as either number 72, 72-76, 72/76, and also had a name for the overall building!?!) but i was wondering how strict things are on the things I have mentioned?Many thanks if anyone can shine some light on this and help me out. You could say its stressing me out a bit!
    The exclusion of your middle initial on your mobile and broadband accounts should not matter.

County names are superfluous. It's house/flat numbers plus post code that matter most.

With luck, it'll be purely a question of checking the register and sticking with that version. Provided that you're consistent when completing all your paperwork, you should be okay. When you apply for credit facilities, bank accounts etc. or to the credit reference agencies, ensure your address matches the details as they appear on the electoral roll.

P.S.
    Don't worry if your address is formatted differently on council tax bills and the like. That's of no consequence, but the electoral roll version counts where finance is concerned ;)
  • Thank you, that's cleared it up a bit!
  • nice i really love this, i would like to find out more :money:
  • With luck, it'll be purely a question of checking the register and sticking with that version. Provided that you're consistent when completing all your paperwork, you should be okay. When you apply for credit facilities, bank accounts etc. or to the credit reference agencies, ensure your address matches the details as they appear on the electoral roll.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support