'Should you be allowed to sell your organs?' poll results/discussion

edited 20 October 2009 at 11:05AM in Money Saving Polls
49 replies 6.4K views
edited 20 October 2009 at 11:05AM in Money Saving Polls
Poll between 12-20 October 2009:

Should you be allowed to sell your organs?

It’s illegal to sell organs in Britain; yet recent press stories have highlighted some people trying to sell their ‘spare’ kidneys to clear debts. If people are aware of the risks, should it be allowed? Or is the principle of buying someone’s health just plain wrong?

Which of these is closest to your view?

A. It should stay banned. - 70% (6592 votes)
B. You should be allowed to sell to highest bidder. - 18% (1730 votes)
C. You should be able to sell but only for a fixed price. - 11% (1066 votes)

Total Votes: 9388

Voting has now closed, but you can still click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Replies

• Id be happy with only one eye if anyone wants one.

Or you can have one of my kidneys.

Take your pick.

Everything has its price...lol
    When dealing with the CSA its important to note that it is commonly accepted as unfit for purpose, and by default this also means the staff are unfit for purpose.
  • A, banned.
    When dealing with the CSA its important to note that it is commonly accepted as unfit for purpose, and by default this also means the staff are unfit for purpose.
  • edited 12 October 2009 at 7:17PM
    jay_girlsgirlsgirlsjay_girlsgirlsgirls Forumite
    74 Posts
    edited 12 October 2009 at 7:17PM
    At the end of the day, it's your body and you are the one that has to live with the consequence of having no kidney / eye etc so why shouldn't you be able to get rid?

However, as to clear debt, it seems a very bad situation! I would like to think it could be a selfless act, and no money involved would be my first choice.

As that's not a choice, I'm leaning towards C. By making it a fixed price, it is clear for all how much they will recieve for their body parts, as to avoid confusion and misleading tactics. There would be nothing worse than selling a kidney for £5k, then afterwards finding out the going rate is £20k - you would live the rest of your life regretting having only 1 kidney and sold the other one too cheaply!

I made the numbers up above.... i have absolutely no idea what a kidney is worth!
  • ScarletBeaScarletBea Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Donate after death? definitely!
    Sell while alive? No way!
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • SailorSamSailorSam Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this has been debated before and some don't agree but once you're dead, any organs should just be taken unless you've previously said you're against it.
    Not sure how i feel about selling things while you're alive, initially i feel i'm against it but if i needed an organ to save my life i'd be annoyed if i was prevented buying something that could save my life.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see the problem with you choosing to sell your own body parts. After all, you have to live with the consequences and if it was legal these could clearly be explained by a doctor. I can't see many people willing to donate one for free while they were alive, I certainly wouldn't, unless it was for a relative or friend.

After Im dead, you can do what you want with them.
  • ThinkingOfLinkingThinkingOfLinking Forumite
    11.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A. It should remain illegal.

People can be exploited, eg the mentally ill, or drug addicts, etc. I can envisage people being smuggled/trafficked to the UK for the purposes of them selling organs.
  • zygurat789zygurat789 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem is not with the selling, it's with the buying.
    Should the rich be able to exploit the poor? (as always)
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • edited 13 October 2009 at 9:22AM
    georgie262georgie262 Forumite
    253 Posts
    edited 13 October 2009 at 9:22AM
    It would become an exploitation of the poor. Totally ridiculous.

Just noticed the above post
  • At the end of the day, it's your body and you are the one that has to live with the consequence of having no kidney / eye etc so why shouldn't you be able to get rid?

However, as to clear debt, it seems a very bad situation! I would like to think it could be a selfless act, and no money involved would be my first choice.

As that's not a choice, I'm leaning towards C. By making it a fixed price, it is clear for all how much they will recieve for their body parts, as to avoid confusion and misleading tactics. There would be nothing worse than selling a kidney for £5k, then afterwards finding out the going rate is £20k - you would live the rest of your life regretting having only 1 kidney and sold the other one too cheaply!

I made the numbers up above.... i have absolutely no idea what a kidney is worth!

And who would decide the "fixed price" ?

Why not ebay it - set a minimum price if you want to and then take the highest bidder at the time - if that's what someone would pay, that's what it is worth, if you don't like the price, cancel the sale and wait.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals