Livewire's challenge...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in How much have you saved?
41 replies 8.5K views

Replies

• happyvichappyvic Forumite
    5 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Livewire - I have to say I am really impressed with your attitude. It would be really easy for you to have fallen into a trap of 'woe is me' but your positivity is fantastic.

I am a great believer that those who work hard at something they want to achieve generally get to their goal.

keep up the good work (if I knew how to put a smilie on I would do - but can't seem to find them at the mo)
  • :TWOW OP, That's pretty impressive, and i must say going it alone takessome guts but i wish you every sucess in you moneysaving task and your freelancing/own business in the future!
    Thankyou for letting us all know how your doing, and giving me a few tips to think about!
  • A collective thankyou to plzhelpmesave!, happyvic & khiller1988 for your support. It's not an easy task keeping yourself busy when you're unemployed - especially when you're doing everything you can to find a job but this support is greatly appreciated and gives me that extra spur to push on and win the battle!
  • WEEK 6 RESULTS

Still no secure job and still waiting in the excess period for my mortgage protection so not a great deal on money coming in but I have made some more encouraging savings on my bills this week. We cut back on facilities we didn't use on our Sky TV package and after my 18 month contract on my mobile phone expired recently, I was able to knock down my monthly payments from £40 to £15.... and I end up with more free minutes - bonus!
    On the flipside though I have, as expected had to relinquish my JSA payment from last week as I had some income. Not a bad week in all though!

The highlights this week are as follows:
    • Did some paid care work for a relative
    • Made a major saving on my Sky TV package by cutting back on facilities we didn't really use
    • Made a major saving on my mobile phone contract after my existing contract expired

THIS WEEK'S SAVINGS BREAKDOWN:

Work earnings: £173.64

Freebies: £3.29
    (itunes single of the week - £0.79)
    (Caroline Herrera frangrance samples - £1.00)
    (Christina Aguilera frangrance sample - £0.50)
    (USB memory stick - £2.00)

Grocery savings: £6.87
    (Tesco promotions)

Bills savings: £417.00
    (Sky TV package saving - £117.00 (annual))
    (Mobile phone tariff saving - £300.00 (annual))

Cashback pounds: £0.06

Cashback points: 70

Job seekers allowance: (adjustment) -£64.30

TOTAL
    Pounds: £536.56
  • WEEK 7 RESULTS

As frustrating as it is being overlooked for employment, I know I have to remain focused. It's trully unbelievable how many people are out of work at the moment. The jobcentre is simply swarming with job seekers.
    Still, the spare time I have during the week allows me to get round to sorting stuff I would normally put to one side week after week.
    I went to the local council office this week to discuss support on my council tax payments. Apparently the list they have to get through is potentially 8 weeks long so instead of waiting all that time for an answer that may not even be what I want to hear, I've managed to spread 3 months payments over 5 months thus decreasing my monthly fee.

• Decreased my council tax bills by spreading payments out
    • Done some selling on Ebay

THIS WEEK'S SAVINGS BREAKDOWN:

Job seekers allowance: £64.30

Freebies: £0.79
    (itunes single of the week - £0.79)

Grocery Savings £6.65
    (Tesco promotions)

Ebay sales: £144.00

TOTAL
    Pounds: £215.74
  • .....can I take this opportunity to remind those of you that are following my thread (and are therefore accustomed to my situation) that any helpful tips, thoughts, advice or opinions are more than welcome. I'm completely open to suggestion as any action I take is most likely only going to have a positive outcome.
  • Hi Livewire,
    have you considered mystery shopping possibly, I personally have only done this once but the pay wasn't bad, especially if its local and you don't have to go far to do this. Might be an option whilst your looking around to get a bit of extra cash. I know theres a few posts on MSE about various companies.
    :o
  • WEEK 8 RESULTS

Wow.... 2 months already. Feels like an eternity. Yet when I speak to advisors the response is "still early days then?"!!
    Any form of work that I had very briefly a few weeks ago has gone quiet so another its another week home alone.
    Fantastic news about the mortgage protection though. It's all been cleared and I've received my first months support. Not only that, I also have a personal loan which is also covered and that's even backdated to the day I first registered as unemployed. As my wages would normally pay for these, I will be declaring them each month in my list below. I'm just gonna list the first months payment as a lump sum to begin with but hereafter it will be broken down into a weekly basis.
    It takes the pressure off a little now in the knowledge my main financial commitments are taken care of.

• Received first months support on mortgage protection
    • Received first months support on personal loan
    • Done some more selling on ebay

THIS WEEK'S SAVINGS BREAKDOWN

(itunes single of the week)

Ebay sales: £10.00

Mortgage payment protection: £708.90

Personal loan payment protection: £332.93

TOTAL
    Pounds: £1116.92
  • WEEK 9 RESULTS

Despite 9 weeks being a relatively short period of time to be out of work it's amazing how difficult you can find it to keep busy. I'm happy to say though that this week I took matters into my own hands and broadened my horizons a little. As much as I know where my experience lies, I can do no more than I'm doing to get myself back into that industry so I felt a bit of experimentation was in order.
    Firstly, I'm going to start selling stock on ebay that I bought from a wholesaler (the first batch will be a trial to see if a second order is worthwhile otherwise I will rethink the product I am selling and the market I am selling to). Secondly, I've began researching new business ideas, inkeeping with my field of work so I'll be building a website, creating promo material, etc for the chosen idea.
    When I think about it, I've never had this much free time on my hands before so I my as well do something useful with it. In the coming weeks I'll be updating you with any progress I make on the above. Wish me luck!

• Received confirmation of council tax benefit
    • Placed as order from a wholesaler for some stock to sell on ebay
    • Started work on ideas for personal business ventures

Freebies: £1.79
    (free dvd)

Grocery savings: £6.23
    (tesco promotions)

Council tax benefit: £12.24

Mortgage payment protection: £212.67

Personal loan payment protection: £45.40

TOTAL
    Pounds: £342.63
  • WEEK 10 RESULTS

Hmmmm, not a lot to report this week. The stock I bought doesn't seem to be attracting any interest on ebay (which I suspect is down to a combination of choosing a product that already has a large supply and purchasing stock that is relatively cheap and inexpensive looking). It's a tough one as i'd invest more if I had the money to do so but being out of work at the moment that's not really an option. I've never really been a great risk taker but there is simply no possibility of it at all while I living on the breadline. It's a similar situation with these business ideas I've been working on. Couple that with development and marketing these ideas and you suddenly realise that there are not many ways of instantly making money. Still, no use giving up, it's all worth a try.

• Listed wholesale stock on ebay
    • Continued work on ideas for personal business ventures

Council tax benefit: £12.24

Mortgage payment protection: £212.67

Personal loan payment protection: £45.40

TOTAL
    Pounds: £335.40