Forum Home» Freebies (Low Spend)

Freecycle guide discussion link - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Freecycle guide discussion link

edited 14 June 2010 at 11:43AM in Freebies (Low Spend)
48 replies 12.4K views

Replies

• There is an interesting article here which explains some of the background and the reason for the change to Freegle in the UK:

What went wrong with Freecycle in the UK?

Sarah Lewis
    30th September, 2009
    http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_analysis/329180/what_went_wrong_with_freecycle_in_the_uk.html
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The following thread night be helpful too...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1928581

Especially post #42

:-)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Hi folks - with regard to the Freecycle/Freegle choice, whilst Freecycle is still up and runnig the UK has recently become rapidly disenchanted with the US way of doing things and a lot of the UK groups have now broken away as Freegle. Many thought this was a flash in the pan but it seems not and I have no wish to debate the politics (I am just a Freegler and have nothing to do with the running or ownership)

The split has been so successful that almost 50% of the UK Freecycle membership has made the move. Accurate figures can be found at ilovefreegle.org 900,000 members and 194 groups as I write this from a pre-split UK total of 2,000,000 members and 509 groups. For those that haven't picked up on the other figures, the UK had 10% of the Freecycle membership before the split and conducted around 27% of the activity.

Personally, I am wholly behind this taking back of the groups, having felt that we have been trying to fit into a mould made for an American way of thinking - no jokes please about that last bit being an oxymoron.:rotfl:
  • this seems like a good thread to get a definite answer to my long unanswered question of:

can anyone tell me why 'supposedly' it is illegal to take anything out of the council run tip skips, i occasionally get away with it but the guys down the tip go nuts if they see you, and now wandsworth tip has signs all over the place saying they'll prosecute. is it just because the workers want it themselves?

as all have discussed on this thread it is such a waste to see anything usefull getting mashed up in the landfill skips.

thanks all
  • WelshwoofsWelshwoofs Forumite
    11.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, as a member of Stroud Freegle (nee Freecycle), let me get one thing straight for the people who runs these groups...

• Punters like me, don't give a flying ferret about these silly little 'town council' style political tiffs with Freecycle
    • Punters like me care about only 4 things:
    1. A 'community recycling' list with good participation
    2. A 'community recycling' list platform which is easy to use and has good user preferences
    3. A 'community recycling' list which has the things you need
    4. A 'community recycling' list which enables you to quickly offload the things you don't want
    As a punter of Stroud Freegle I am personally sick to death of this 'he said', 'she said' bickering and the erroneous assumption from the people running groups on both sides of the divide that most of their members actually give a flying crap. As someone who runs online communities for her living, I can say for a fact that this is exactly what happens when you get moderators with far too much time on their hands!
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • LakeukLakeuk Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    andygodwin wrote: »
    this seems like a good thread to get a definite answer to my long unanswered question of:

can anyone tell me why 'supposedly' it is illegal to take anything out of the council run tip skips, i occasionally get away with it but the guys down the tip go nuts if they see you, and now wandsworth tip has signs all over the place saying they'll prosecute. is it just because the workers want it themselves?

Alot of council tip waste has value which go back into council funds, a local contract firm and staff who ran our local tip on behalf of our council were recently found guilty of defrauding the council/local tax payer by putting aside metal to sell for their own gain.

A neighbouring council currently has an ongoing fraud case relating to recycling.
  • cally6008cally6008 Forumite
    7.6K posts
    I use Freeshare and find it brilliant. It is quiet on some of the Freeshare groups so I guess I'm lucky that the two groups local to me are rather busy ones.

• janusdesignjanusdesign Forumite
    61 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I subscribed to the local freecycle yahoo group... received the welcome etiquette emails and received the posts from others - but can't post myself either via email or the site... new users posts are checked... that's fine, but its been a month and I still can't post - emails to the moderator/owners go unanswered... so i've just unsubscribed (hopefully thats automated)...

i'll throw the stuff I wanted to get rid off into the wheelie bin - a shame, but I tried.
  • Hi, Just to let others know - Most of my areas Freecycle mods have parted company with Freecycle due to issues about USA based policies - They have re-grouped under the umberella names of "Freegle".

Hope this is of use to other users.

Thanks for listening.:money:
  • kevanf1kevanf1 Forumite
    299 posts
    Just to let you all know. There is also Freeworld-Recycling. I started this after being one of the first to be unceremoniously booted out of Freecycle. I did nothing wrong in my opinion and the opinion of all those who have now moved to the Freegle network. I simply voiced my opinion about how I thought Freecycle was wrong.

http://www.freeworld-recycling.org

If you have a Freecycle group near to you that is not working for you then you are more than welcome to set up your own Freeworld group. Just visit my website and then contact me. You are in charge, not me or somebody thousands of miles away.

Take care.

Kevan
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible :)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support