September 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 9 September 2009 at 6:36PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 73.5K views

Replies

• Declaring for September. Not got to the penny figures but know I stayed within £125 even including £5 for printer paper which doesn't really count. Absolutely amazing considering I usually spend double that at least. So How did I do it?
    1 Used up loads and loads from all cupboards etc
    2 Did a lot more home cooking
    3 Only bought exactly what I needed which actually meant quite a lot of little trips to Asdas rather than weekly 'big shops'.

The biggest spend I had was just over £40 when I stocked up at the beginning of the month on milk, bread and meat.

Because I have used up all supplies I have now done a restock and shop for September and already spent £131-more than the whole of August. Put so much catfood on a storage shelf that it collapsed and smashed 4 nice vases! so feeling a bit sad.
    Please can I state £250 for October
  • Thanks folks for the coconut ideas - I'll be putting them to use next weekend after all. (DH came shopping this weekend and spotted a pack of sinful looking lemon mousse, so we bought those instead - I know, bold!!)

We bought 1kg of lamb for the big curry night (€13.50), DH bought cod €8.07 for sunday, and we needed beer as well (we usually buy a box of 24 bottles and that lasts about 2 months). And the wine we have grown to like in Lidl was on a 6 for price of 4 offer, so down to €4 a bottle - so got that too as we are almost out of wine as well (again, that should last at least a month).

Total spends this weekend:
    Mr. S (not Sains but Superquinn) €71.35
    Mr. L €66.12
    Mr. O (ddbins) €41
    But that should leave me with a good lot of "stores" dinners for the next few weeks - I harvested a load of veggies too and I am putting more stuff into freezer too.

And because DD was bold on Sunday, we cancelled our planned treat of a family brunch outing (hadn't done in almost a year - but she needs to learn and we can live with it til next week) and had a pot of homemade courgette soup instead (so 4 less portions for freezer - but DD ate all of hers!!!:T) - cost: about 4p for 1 stock cube (from Sains - I think 4p is about right). (Had 1 tub HM veg stock in freezer, and used homgrown spuds and courgettes - just boiled all together and blitzed). For family lunch Sunday, DH and I lunches today, and 3 more portions frozen.

Think I need to concentrate more on storecupboard this month though....
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • BotanyBotany Forumite
    244 Posts
    I've just realised one funny thing:

I had 9.61 left for September. I went to Aldi this morning and spent £8.51... £1.10 left and the only thing left to buy is the Radio Times when it comes out tomorrow, which costs £1.10........... YES! It means that I will have spent £300 exactly! Not a penny more, not one less. I find it quite amusing especially because I am pretty certain that had I tried to be 'perfectly on budget' I would have failed!!!

Now, don't get me wrong.... I can STILL fail (esp if I stop at Waitrose and I let my tummy do the buying....) but nonetheless, it made me wonder, how many of you have ended a challenge on 'perfect budget' (exact to the penny)???

I'm sure a mathematician could calculate the odds but I don't know how :p
  • Hi guys, I'm afraid I haven't been keeping up very well but as October started on friday I would like to declare £331.26 for sept and will go for £300 again in October!

I have already spent £25.95 and I will be popping into the village this afternoon for some milk, bananas and apples (another £5 gone :rolleyes:) and I have the monthly MrT shop coming tomorrow night (around £70ish).

now just need to meal plan the week!!
    FebGC
    wk1 £0/£100 NSD's 0/7
    wk2
    wk3
    wk4
    Total £0/400
  • Hello!
    Time for me to declare - this is my first month on the Grocery Challenge so I'm quite proud to have come in under budget. I spent £144.23 of my £150 budget. Considering I was spending nearly double that last month I think I've done pretty well. I think I'll do better next month too, but I'll be sticking to the same budget just in case!
    Gemma
    Grocery Challenge 2010:
    Jan: £163.69/£150 :mad: Feb: £84.27/£150 :D Mar: £150.84/£150 :cool: Apr: ??/£150
    Debt free since 08/04/10
  • mama67mama67 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    My year to date figure is £1310 thanks HelenJelly.
    2 adults, 2 boys (:footie: sports mad big eaters) (25 & 22)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Yay, I went to Aldi's this morning with my £7.94 which was all I had left for the September budget, (new October one starts tommorow) and spent £3.74 on lettuce,toms,cucumber, large bag of fairly largish spuds,onions,pears and bananas so have finally declared for September at £115.80 , £4.20 under budget. I am really pleased with myself as I have used up quite a bit from the freezer and storecupboards.
    So onwards and upwards new 4 week cycle starts tommorow with £120.00 for the next 4 weeks.Haven't we all done well, great feeling to think I have cut my normal monthly budget by around £80.00.If I could keep it up that would be almost 1k a year,enough for a nice holiday, makes you think doesn't it.
  • Hi everyone

Purpleskies - just checking I've got it right - is your figure for the month or week. I've done it for the month.

done up to and including Purpleskies

Helen x

Yes, it's for the month, thanks Helen.
  • Purpleskies - thank you

Budgets done up to and including Purpleskies

Thank you everyone - Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • hex2hex2 Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Helenjelly I need to declare for September at £468.46, £18.46 because I just cant resist 'bargains'. I could have come in on target but there was stuff on offer in Lidl that will save me in the month to come.

Please put me down for £425 for October. Of which £115 is already committed to the monthly Sainsburys dog food/cat food/coffee pods order :eek:

Thanks
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals