September 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 9 September 2009 at 5:36PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 73.5K views

Replies

• I'm declaring £47.44 for September. Went a little over but that's only because I stocked up on a few essentials that were on offer but I hadn't planned on buying this month.

My target for October is £45 again.

Hi everyone

Purpleskies - just checking I've got it right - is your figure for the month or week. I've done it for the month.

done up to and including Purpleskies

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • JayJay14JayJay14 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from town with a few non grocer items but did buy a pack of sausages - so £1.39 to add,

so I'm declaring at £148.03 which is amazing - £11.97 under.

So forward into my October GC tomorrow, hope everyone succeeds.

Thanks for all your hard work HelenJelly and MrsM if you get the chance to read this, hope all is well with you.
  • toby3000toby3000 Forumite
    316 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Do we sign up for October here? If so, can I?!

I'd like to go in at £100... I have no idea how much I spend on food, we might be way off but there you go..

I'm also going to try to avoid meat, so hopefully will come in under (if I manage to resist!)
  • toby3000 wrote: »
    Do we sign up for October here? If so, can I?!

I'd like to go in at £100... I have no idea how much I spend on food, we might be way off but there you go..

I'm also going to try to avoid meat, so hopefully will come in under (if I manage to resist!)

Hi - there will be a new thread in the next couple of days but the link will be posted on here.
    Welcome and hello [should of said that first!!]

I have made a note of your budget and will update it. Have fun and happy no shopping hehe

Helen x
  • After spending I would guess £150 for Sept after OH's splurges, am going for £140 for Oct but am going to try to be soooo strict with it!
  • JulimkJulimk Forumite
    349 Posts
    We went into MrT today & got a travel mug each for lunchtime soups in pack-ups. Couldn’t resist looking at the whoopsies, but only spend a quid on some fish. Based on what I already have in I am only really now looking for mince (any sort) & decent sausages. But nothing is needed so I will just keep looking for some reduced.

Also have in over 50 HM meal portions in the freezers; so no need to do any batch cooking this month for dinners. But I did make up some batches of soups & pates today for lunches.

Roasted a chicken today too & only used about one chicken breast for our dinner, so there is plenty of meat left for some more meals.
  • carolt2carolt2 Forumite
    852 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Evening All,

Finally caught up on the thread, Would like to Declare at £130.69 for this month which mean we are £29 under budget:j, Have never been under by that much. Got enough to last us until thursday so got no need to go to shops.
    Looking at our running total for year we are averaging around £155 per month, not too bad for me OH and 2 cats including all toiltries and cleaning products.
    Helen, Could you please put us down for £150 for October.

Many thanks
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • PuddleglumPuddleglum Forumite
    851 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Helen Jelly,

Thanks for keeping the show on the road for us all, it's all go on the thread at the moment!

I will declare for Sept at the end of next week, it's looking good but the amount left in the envelope does not match up to the amount expected from the signature. I think that Mr P is raiding it every week to pay for the Puddleglumettes' trampolining when that envelope is empty!

Oct will be a four week month for us so would like to set my target as £200 please.

Good luck everyone!

Puddleglum.
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

I still am Puddleglum - phew!
  • Hi everyone

Budgets done up to and including Puddleglum

thank you everyone - Helen x

• ToonieToonie Forumite
    921 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Well after a disastrous month money wise, we had come in well under the monthly spend simply because we've not had any money over the last couple of weeks to spend on anything other than essentials. Next month is looking to be the same. My annual spend is now at £1444.69

Luckily we had two freezers and a well stocked larder at the beginning of this month which meant we could use what we have and just get certain extras (bread, milk, veggies). All the cupboards are starting to look bare now but still have enough in stock to make soup and some pies so that will keep us going for a bit longer until we can sort out the finances and restock.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES