Can't reach 18866 or 1899 sites? Is it just me?

in Phones & TV
30 replies 2.4K views

Replies

• korukoru Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    1899 also running, and I managed to sign up, with the padlock showing (using Safari browser on a mac).

However, I then received an email saying:
    "Unfortunately your 1899 internet registration has failed.

Our apologies, but due to lack of capacity it is currently not possible to register."
    koru
  • noramcnoramc Forumite
    49 Posts
    Same thing happened me with 18866 - but I've been unsuccessfully trying to register with them since New Year!
    "Unfortunately your 18866 internet registration has failed.
    Our apologies, but due to lack of capacity it is currently not possible to register.
    Kind regards,
    Call18866 Customer services"

Boohoo!
    :) noramc :)
  • onzeyonzey Forumite
    830 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I (and one or two others) had problems registering with 1899 last year (seem to remember getting message about "lack of capacity" actually on web page at end of signup as well as by email I think, so this solution may not work). The way round it was to register using your mobile number instead of your landline number. If registering then works ok, you just login and add your landline number and remove your mobile number (unless you want to keep it in your list of registered numbers). Then when you login in future, just use your landline number.

Edit
    Just noticed I have a signature which is not mine. Never had one before the new forum setup. Weird!
  • HolidayHoliday Forumite
    361 Posts
    noramc wrote:
    Same thing happened me with 18866 - but I've been unsuccessfully trying to register with them since New Year!
    "Unfortunately your 18866 internet registration has failed.
    Our apologies, but due to lack of capacity it is currently not possible to register.
    Kind regards,
    Call18866 Customer services"

Boohoo!

I signed up a few days ago. Might be worth trying again.
    Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
  • can any IT boffs out there help me.
    I am signed up with 18866 but since they altered their site yesterday to a more secure site i am not able to log on using the secure site despite having version 6 I.E.
    I presume i could log onto the site that is not secure but what is the point in that!!
    Is the risk of your details being unsafe only when you are logged onto the site or is the risk there just by the fact you have already registered.
  • petal-14 wrote:
    can any IT boffs out there help me.
    I am signed up with 18866 but since they altered their site yesterday to a more secure site i am not able to log on using the secure site despite having version 6 I.E.
    I presume i could log onto the site that is not secure but what is the point in that!!
    Is the risk of your details being unsafe only when you are logged onto the site or is the risk there just by the fact you have already registered.
    Same here. I use IE6 and it appears to accept my login request and then just 'hangs' there.

I quickly logged in on the insecure route and it works immediately. They've obviously got a problem their end.
    30 years, 217 days!
  • onzeyonzey Forumite
    830 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

I just tried logging in to 18866 using IE6 and it worked ok. Didn't have to resort to the alternative non secure login.
  • korukoru Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Same here. I use IE6 and it appears to accept my login request and then just 'hangs' there.

I quickly logged in on the insecure route and it works immediately. They've obviously got a problem their end.
    Why not try a different browser, like Firefox or Opera? I found Firefox (mac version) was fine yesterday, complete with security.
    koru
  • I've been using 18866 for calling mobiles from our landline since seeing it here many months ago. Since then, their prices have gone up 40% for peak time calls and 100% for weekend calls. I'd like to sack them. Anybody know a better deal to move to?

Thanks
    Stephen
  • knuckledraggerknuckledragger Forumite
    999 Posts
    500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I have just logged into the secure 18866 site using IE6 without any probs.
    Perhaps it was a temporary glitch that's been ironed out?
    ...and then the window licker said to me...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion