My BT line rental is £ 15.45 a month ??!!!

in Phones & TV
61 replies 7.7K views

Replies

• Bt monthly line rental=11.25(for online billing and direct debit)+£2.50(caller display) =13.75
    £2.50 is a sly punishment for not making calls via bt but with a override provider.(apparently free with bt privacy at home BUT hold on ----no, you have to make some chargable calls)
    automatically renewable 12 month contracts.
    where does all this trickery stop
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't have to make any chargeable calls to 'qualify' for free Caller Display. 2 inclusive calls per month will do (if you use a CPS calls provider which doesn't use WCLI, you can prefix 2 weekend UK 01/02/03/0845/0870 calls with 1280 to send them via BT). Line rental then stays at £11.25

You don't have to agree to a renewable 12 month contract either (you can stay on the free Unlimited Weekend Plan or pay for the Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan or Unlimited Anytime Plan).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Heinz wrote: »
    You don't have to make any chargeable calls to 'qualify' for free Caller Display. 2 inclusive calls per month will do (if you use a CPS calls provider which doesn't use WCLI, you can prefix 2 weekend UK 01/02/03/0845/0870 calls with 1280 to send them via BT). Line rental then stays at £11.25

You don't have to agree to a renewable 12 month contract either (you can stay on the free Unlimited Weekend Plan or pay for the Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan or Unlimited Anytime Plan).
    What if you use a CPS call provider who uses WCLI?
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cocktail wrote: »
    What if you use a CPS call provider who uses WCLI?
    Then you can't make calls via BT (the 1280 prefix doesn't work) so you can't qualify (the Calling Card workaround has now been kicked into the long grass by BT company representative).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • I was promised a call back within 48 hours and never received one.

I've sent in a complaint to Ofcom and I also contacted consumer advice through Direct Gov who e-mailed back stating that it is likely they are in violation of consumer law, and have forwarded my complaint on to Trading Standards.

I have also googled contract problems like these and I have 5 different forums up with posts upon posts complaining about it. And guess what? They're all within the last 2 months! I'll be trying my very best to get through to a customer services manager and I'll be using all of this as ammunition.

For now, I suggest anybody in the same position sends a complaint through to Ofcom. It seems like it's the only way BT are going to stop scamming people. It was only 2 years ago they were investigated by BBC Watchdog for not installing phone lines for months and months on end and charging people in the meantime. You would've though they'd realise they shouldn't try conning people again...
  • IconicIconic Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Heinz wrote: »
    Then you can't make calls via BT (the 1280 prefix doesn't work) so you can't qualify (the Calling Card workaround has now been kicked into the long grass by BT company representative).

So you use a CPS call provider who uses WCLI.

Is 1471 provided by the call provider or BT?

I think it's BT but I might be wrong.

So if you use call back after the 1471 message will that call be charged by BT or the CPS call provider who uses WCLI.

I do not want to pay £2.50 a month for caller display if I don't have to!
  • edited 13 September 2009 at 3:16PM
    HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 September 2009 at 3:16PM
    1471, 1571 and Caller Display are associated with the incoming call and, hence, are provided by BT if you have a CPS calls provider.

AIUI, all your outgoing calls should, by default, be routed via your CPS provider. That appears to be confirmed by the fact that, although I pay BT £2.50/month for the Call Diversion calling feature, the diverted part (usually to my mobile) of my call is billed by my CPS calls provider and I pay nothing else to BT.

It follows (although I've not confirmed this) that the returned call using the 1471 - 3 (or 1571 - 0) procedure would be routed via the CPS calls provider but the 10p (12p from 1-10-2009) for the use of the feature will be charged by BT.

Sorry, don't think that's a way for those with a CPS/WCLI calls provider to make the necessary 'qualifying calls' via BT.
  • DumyatDumyat Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having read this thread I had a look at my last bill. I found it impossible to follow how the charging works. Surely there must be a simpler way to document exactly what we are being charged for. I think I must not be on a discount any more..off to read it again and see if I can make sense of it.
    x x x
  • BT_company_representativeBT_company_representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    1.9K Posts
    HI Codehook,

Appreciate you've contacted our Customer Services about this if you still have not had any contact regarding this drop me a pm with some details and we can discuss it.

Stuart
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • IconicIconic Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Heinz wrote: »
    1471, 1571 and Caller Display are associated with the incoming call and, hence, are provided by BT if you have a CPS calls provider.

AIUI, all your outgoing calls should, by default, be routed via your CPS provider. That appears to be confirmed by the fact that, although I pay BT £2.50/month for the Call Diversion calling feature, the diverted part (usually to my mobile) of my call is billed by my CPS calls provider and I pay nothing else to BT.

It follows (although I've not confirmed this) that the returned call using the 1471 - 3 (or 1571 - 0) procedure would be routed via the CPS calls provider but the 10p (12p from 1-10-2009) for the use of the feature will be charged by BT.

Sorry, don't think that's a way for those with a CPS/WCLI calls provider to make the necessary 'qualifying calls' via BT.

Thanks for your reply. What you write makes complete sense. I think I will try 1471-3 just to see who charges me for the call. Mind you even if BT did charge me for the call they most probably would change the rules just like they did with the Chargecard fiasco:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES