New Post Advanced Search

September 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 9 September 2009 at 6:36PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 72.9K views

Replies

• kezloukezlou Forumite
    3.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well kind of been productive as i didn't have to buy DS1 & 2 any new trousers or shirts for school as they hadn't grown out of the ones from May:D So may buy some more shirts next week, but we'll see.
    While OH took the boys swimming, i went to buy more beef and mushrooms ended up spending £9.56 on more shopping :doh: I swear i can't stop.
    But did buy reduced yoghurt's, margarine, butter, coconut milk, bread buns and 8 fresh burgers for a £1 total bargain. So don't feel too bad, but still shouldn't have spent it.:mad:

Made loads of black eye beans today, looked at the packet, was from last year so thought needed to be used (well two months ago :o)

Here's some more recipes, all of these can be adapted to personal tastes.Bet your all sick of me posting them.

Coconut Rice
    1 tin of coconut milk
    1 pint of cold water
    4 large handfuls of basmati rice
    1 tin of beans (i used just cooked black eye beans)
    2 spring onions chopped inc green stems
    6 cloves of garlic roughly chopped ( can use less)
    4 chillies chopped (can use less)
    Salt
    Black pepper
    11/2tbsp cinnamon
    11/2tbsp nutmeg
    6 Cloves

Add all to a pan and bring to the boil, simmer till rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.

Refried Beans
    mushed up beans (any variety i used cooked black eye beans)
    bacon (does not need to be used)
    6 cloves of garlic
    2 large tbsp coriander
    1large tbsp garam masla
    1large tbsp chilli powder
    water
    2 tbsp of tomato puree

Fry garlic and bacon in hot oil till brown
    Add spices to the pan and stir for about 10 seconds
    Add beans to the spices and stir, add the tomato puree and enough water to mix up the beans till it becomes a paste.
    Once heated serve hot or cold.

Bean curry (slowcooker version)
    1 onion chopped
    1tsp mustard seeds (optional)
    4 cloves garlic crushed
    curry paste (supermarket one :o i found it in the cupboard from last year)
    1 tin of tomatoes
    beans about 300g or a tin of them (i used black eye beans)
    2 carrots chopped
    any old veg you have

Fry onion and mustard seeds till browned
    Add garlic and fry for about 30 seconds add curry paste add the beans, mix up well
    Add the tomatoes and place all into the slow cooker
    add carrots, veg and place in the slow cooker with about 2 pints of water.
    Leave on low for about 8/10 hours.
    Then serve.
  • lainzlainz Forumite
    400 posts
    Hi

Can I declare £100 for August - bit over - but I had friends down and fed my family that I hadn't budgeted for, so I'll take that!

Can you put me down for £93 for September. I've been to Morrisons, Aldi and Lidl this afternoon! Think I'm about £40 in - need to calculate properly - have some posh loo roll that was offer, and brandy to start my mincemeat off ... mmm.. have to go and get some cooking apples off my mum!

Well I should only really need fruit and veg the rest of the month! :cool:
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    kezlou wrote: »
    Here's some more recipes, all of these can be adapted to personal tastes.Bet your all sick of me posting them. ...

Recipes always welcome kezlou! I like the sound of the bean curry, thanks ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • ChocClareChocClare Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Well, today I spent £1.65 on plastic tubs to decant the HUGE amount of cakes I made yesterday into so I could put 75% of them in the freezer before the kids/DH scoff the entire lot - and I got home and found I had far more suitable ziplock bags which I could have used instead (and did end up using) and saved my £1.65.

On the plus side, I had to cancel my hairdressing appointment last Saturday as we had friends down, and my mother (retired hairdresser) offered to cut it for me as it "needed doing" (her shorthand for you look awful). So I've saved £30+ in hairdressing bills - I usually take my mum eggs and runner beans when I see her as an "offering" but I went straight from work today, and when I apologised and said, I must give you something, she was adamant, "You will not!". AND she did a far superior job to my usual hairdresser - even the DH said, wow, your hair looks nice.

My son then came home and said, oh, mum, I've bought all my stuff for college, it comes to £53 (implication: cough up, you're paying for this). Having inspected what he bought (mostly text books, to be fair), I will be paying - just not coming out of my grocery money (well, it's not groceries, is it?!).

My shopping is delivered on Sundays so I'm OK for this week (and it was 30 August on Sunday, honestly!) but I will keep going for a week past the 27th Sept to make it fair.

Looking forward to seeing how we all get on. Don't worry, I won't normally post great screeds like this! :eek:

Good luck, everyone!
  • kirstenc wrote: »
    I now also have 2 recipe books in the kitchen, one with food suitable for DS allergies and one not, OH and DS are going to sit down every friday and propose 4 meals, 2 from each...that will ensure that they (mainly OH if im honest) dont moan constantly about the food they are being given!

Thats the plan anyway!!

I love the idea of that, Kirstenc! My OH is always complaining if I try anything remotely different because he likes 'simple' meals, and I try to make sure I give him something he really likes a couple of times a week, but maybe I should actually make a list and ask him to *choose* !
    I'm broke, not poor. Poor sounds permanent, broke can be fixed. (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
    LBM June 2009, Debt Free (except mortgage) Sept 2016 - DONE IT!
  • oceanspiritoceanspirit Forumite
    657 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Had picnic with a friend yesterday and made Weezl's lentil pate for the first time - we both loved it! Also made tapenade with out of date jar of black olives, hummous (sp?) with out of date half jar of tahini, the lemon juice was from whoopsied organic lemons bought previously, made veg sticks from last bits of veg in the fridge plus an avocado. I was very proud of my last-minute storecupboard picnic - and I've had leftovers for lunch today with more for tomorrow's lunch.

I spoiled the OS catering by buying some biscuits and crisps from the village shop as a treat and spent £3.98! The only thing we ate between us was 1 small bag of crisps as we were so full of yummy HM healthy stuff!

Did my weekly shop early as my mother is coming to visit for a few days from Thursday. Total was £18.12 and used £4.50 rewards voucher plus had £1.50 refund from the overpriced whoopsied melon I bought a few weeks ago so actual spend was only £12.12. I can't believe how much I've managed to buy with such a small amount of money.

BTW, does anyone else struggle with working out whether Tesco market value fruit and veg is actually lower in price than the standard? They seem to make it difficult by not giving the weight of their bananas etc so it is impossible to compare like for like. They had 7 bananas in their market value pack for £1, but I bought 6 loose of a similar size for 74p.

Kezlou - thanks for the slow cooker bean recipe. Very timely as I've borrowed a friend's small slow cooker to try (lent her my brand new one which I was given as a present and never used because it is far too big for one) and I've struggled to find good veggie recipes.
    Decluttering 502/2020
    Deleting old emails 281/2020
  • TrinnyTrinny Forumite
    625 posts
    Hello All

Finally beginning to get the hang of this grocery budgetting - time to drop another tenner.

Please add me to the list and put me down for £180 please.

Thanks

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May £39.47/£55. June £47.20/£50. July £38.44/£50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    £2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011:)
  • First day of the challenge is a NSD on food.

Breakfast: Cereal, with milk
    Lunch: Broccolli and stilton soup, crisps, banana
    Dinner: Bacon bubble and squeak, with spaghetti

I got free cakes at work today, so that kept me in good eating for a while :) I now have half a tin of spaghetti in the fridge which I'm not sure what to do with though...
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • tesco man is coming tomorrow with my delivery.Is it right that if you order something but give it back you still get the clubcard points as they dont take them off???
  • Flat_EricFlat_Eric Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    first spend of the September budget today of £11.86. Spent ages walking round the supermarket but did just buy essentials including the tomato sauce that was on offer (and needed) and cat biscuits (one happy cat now :D). Couple of items did fall in basket that weren't on mental shopping list (ryvita thins /eggs / wholemeal baps / green tea (still of offer))

Despite the birds eye steam fresh veg being on offer £1.86 per pack or 2 packs for £2.00, I left them in the freezer as i have plenty of veg already in my garage freezer so £2 saved there. the taramind paste also stayed on the shelf, at the small sum of almost £2, it can stay on the shelf until I need it. Ive mislaid the recipe I saw it in now anyway!!

a quiet day tomorrow so once housework done, hope to sit down and menu plan revisiting the list I made last month of my freezer stocks and draw up a plan as best I can for the next month.