New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Great 'Best Value Cabin Luggage' Hunt

edited 1 September 2009 at 3:36PM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
107 replies 97.5K views

Replies

• Q811Q811 Forumite
    4 posts
    I bought a cabin size wheely case from Ikea about 18 months ago for 7.00 GBP! Not only is it dead cheap, it is also folds flat for easy storage. I have been using it for short trips on trains and planes as carry on luggage for 18 months (I travel approx once-three times a month) and it is still going strong. I think its very close to the max size allowed as it is bigger than most I have seen and it fills the cabin space perfectly when I store it in the overhead cabins.

Recently I packed it flat in my large suitcase for my trip to the USA so I could use it to carry my excess shopping home without having to buy another case whislt I was there.
  • IncapuppyIncapuppy Forumite
    5.7K posts
    I'm still voting in favour of a large hat a la Tojo! :D
  • KathM_2KathM_2 Forumite
    14 posts
    We usually use £12.99 wheeled suitcases from InS tore/Pundstretcher on Ryan Air flights, which bar the wheels fit the Ryan Air dimensions but they are very difficult for our children to carry up the plane steps. Having done a Google search on " bag 55 x 40 x 20", I found the following, which looks it will do the job nicely:

Medium foldaway bag weight 750 g £20 at flylite uk products.aspx (won't let me post full link)

Beware, if you are travelling from Treviso (Venice) airport.as this the only airport I have seen, where Ryan Air both weighs and measures every item of hand luggage, every time. To be fair(ish) though we have got through with the wheeled cases and weights up to 11 kg per case.

We have used this airport many times over the years and having got past the Ryan Air hurdle, you then have a further hurdle getting through the extremely tight security. On our last trip a few weeks ago, they were worse than ever, searching hand luggage after people had passed through the gate and were just about to board the plane. They seemed to pick on families with children which was pretty mean as they are the ones who really need to board early and grab seats together.
  • tallmumtallmum Forumite
    93 posts
    I travel quite a lot with my job and use a Tripp cabin bag :T - it's standing up to the travel very well. Purchased a second bag for daughter to use for a recent trip on Ryanair - hers (green flowery pattern) was £14 at the Tripp outlet at Cheshire Oaks (consistently cheaper than the Debenhams sale if you are close snough to get there) - mine (a more conservative grey bag) cost £20 if I remember correctly.

Caution to the posting about the Dunlop bag at Sports World - although the bag would fit the Ryanair dimensions the wheels and handle take it over.
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kathm wrote: »
    Beware, if you are travelling from Treviso (Venice) airport.as this the only airport I have seen, where Ryan Air both weighs and measures every item of hand luggage, every time.

Yes, seen that in action.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • terryyaterryya Forumite
    603 posts
    Floozie wrote: »
    230155569.jpg

I bought one of these for a trip to London, for £7.99 at intersport; when I measured it ,if i could just remove the short carry handle off the short end, it would fit easyjet's dimensions perfectly!! pass the hammer!!

I've got a few of these and hacksawed the handle off and it is now just about perfect size.

ebay014.jpg
  • edited 2 September 2009 at 8:34AM
    hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 September 2009 at 8:34AM
    You know the plastic bag you put your liquids into,well I find THIS one holds the most

http://www.design-go.com/en/detail_39041.html

If you take out the spray attachment on the top,you can get quite a bit more on top,plus i replace one of those bottles with the 50ml small bottles from Boots,plus some small pots.

This bag isn't as "flat" as the cheap ones you buy at the airport,because it has some depth at the bottom that makes the bag more roomy and flexible.
    Stocked by Sainsbury and Wh Smith I think.

As for cheap hand luggage,It HAS to be squishy for me,i often drag my tough nylon one along the floor if it gets heavy(most airport floors are marble) by its shoulder strap. having done a fair few ryanair cheapies,I can't see the need for wheels or a hard bodied case,as you cant squash them into the overhead lockers often.The absolute cheapo though would simply be one of those very large tough polyeurathane recyclable carrier bags that supermarkets sell.No fastener but you are going to have it with you the whole time,plus put the contents into a dustbin bag.
  • hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eleanory wrote: »
    I don't understand why my link has been censored!

Ha ha-that happens sometimes.Someone suggested to me to put the http in front when you post.
  • edited 2 September 2009 at 8:29AM
    hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 September 2009 at 8:29AM
    "I think there is something key to note here, and that's the fact that you are still only allowed to take liquids in containers 100ml or smaller in clear containers into the cabin at the moment.

As a result, if you want to take any decent sized toiletries etc on holiday with you, it's probably worth paying the cost for one bag of hold baggage.

For most people and especially a whole family, the cost of one piece of hold baggage will work out cheaper than buying the toiletries at the destination" from hbc1981

Why not buy all full sized toiletries when you have gone through into departures!!!!!

You really CAN manage with the small bottles.Done it loads of times,and the first time you do it you will be surprised at how much junk you had previously taken.
  • Whilst theoretically a sound idea, the cost of buying toiletries in the departure lounge would be horrendously expensive. I travel through Stansted regularly and have yet to find anything which cannot be bought for less in a local supermarket or discount store.

Good luck.
    "I think there is something key to note here, and that's the fact that you are still only allowed to take liquids in containers 100ml or smaller in clear containers into the cabin at the moment.

As a result, if you want to take any decent sized toiletries etc on holiday with you, it's probably worth paying the cost for one bag of hold baggage.

For most people and especially a whole family, the cost of one piece of hold baggage will work out cheaper than buying the toiletries at the destination" from hbc1981

Why not buy all full sized toiletries when you have gone through into departures!!!!!