Lack of fivers in the world

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
28 replies 1.5K views
13»

Replies

• Heh, I know there’s a lot of chippieness amongst the Scots and English at the moment, my comment about Scottish notes wasn't anti Scottish. How can you dislike a people that can create something like Glenlivet?

It was more an anti moronic shop assistant comment. Last time I came back from the land of our tartan cousins I had a pocket full of Scottish notes and trying to pass them in shops here in gods own England was a nightmare. Especially if the assistant is under 20. If they've not seen one its funny money. Eeeediots. Don’t get me started on the inability of anyone under 20 to perform simple acts of mental arithmetic when the till goes wrong.

As for £2 coins, I agree urban frit. One more sign of a country going to the dogs. Yup, oldwring, the fiver coin is on its way. They already do "jubilee” versions in plastic cases. We’ll be getting them in change soon. Nasty Nasty Nasty.

It’s like money is worthless these days. Like the 5p. Have you ever seen a more pointless coin? When I was a lad you had proper 5p’s. The old shillings were still in circulation and if you had one of the ones with King George on or even a young Queen Elizabeth you had a proper coin. It was worth a bag of sherbet and a licorice stick. What 5p worth now? Sweet FA, I’ll bet. And coppers are a joke. You can have a pocket full and still not have enough for a toffee crisp.

The country is going to the dogs, I tell you.
    I wonder why it is, that young men are always cautioned against bad girls. Anyone can handle a bad girl. It's the good girls men should be warned against.-David Niven
  • webmasterpolowebmasterpolo Forumite
    672 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I agree with Ivan. Forget cash, all transaction should be conducted using plastic.

I used a take away drive through the other day, never again! They refused my plastic because they only take cash or cheque...cheque? I've never used a cheque for a simple face to face purchase in my life! How out of date are they!

Lucky I had enough cash on me to cover it, I don't see why they don't have a pin machine and take cards like any other restaurant, it's quicker than messing around with cash (this is fast food) and it's cleaner as the kid handling your food isn't handling dirty money as well.

Ooo I could be on the grumpy old men show, and I'm not even old..

-Web
    Sense is not common.
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saucepot wrote:
    What 5p worth now? Sweet FA, I’ll bet.
    I would be pretty sure the Football association is worth a bit more
    And coppers are a joke. You can have a pocket full and still not have enough for a toffee crisp.
    picking on the poor police again .. I can understand ferrets but coppers?
    The country is going to the dogs, I tell you.
    picking on poor Cherie Blair again

:D

ivan
    Don't waste time on other peoples first world problems
  • urbanfriturbanfrit Forumite
    262 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Why is it when I come home from the pub the crotch of my trousers is always somewhere down round my knees with the weight of loose change ... I once counted it the next morning and had over £60 of coins in my pocket.

I say do away with ALL coins/notes and simply use credit/debit cards .. curreny is outdated

Ivan

This happens when you go to the pub because you proffer a note to get the attention of the bar staff.
    Wafting a handful of change is like saying "I'm skint" and people don't tend to do this in pubs for some reason. (It's alright everywhere else though)
    If I've got a pocketful of change I wave a note,get served then put the note away and bring out the fistful of mouldies.
    A greedy man's bag is never full
  • Of course, if you ask my old Dad, he’ll tell you the country started going downhill the moment we metricated the money.

With pounds, shillings and pence you had a currency that required a bit of thought. There was no room for thickies with 20 shillings to the pound and 12 pence to the shilling. With thripenny bits, har’pennies, tanners, bobs and 10 bob notes if you were a bit lightweight on the old mental arithmetic you were pretty much b*ggered.

And all the prices went up, and they’ll go up again with euros, so the old timer tells me. Oh and £1.85 is too much for a pint of best, soccer players are paid to much and the mail service in this country has gone down the pan.

And I agree with him. Spot on daddio.
    I wonder why it is, that young men are always cautioned against bad girls. Anyone can handle a bad girl. It's the good girls men should be warned against.-David Niven
  • MidasMidas Forumite
    594 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    A lack of £2 coins also... the fault of MSE's "£2 coin saver club" perhaps :eek:
    Midas.
  • StonkStonk Forumite
    937 Posts
    I have some legal tender £100 coins. These are the way forward - no pocketfuls of fiddling small change weighing *me* down! :o)

http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/britanniasinfo.html

Trouble is, as a one-ounce gold bullion coin, the intrinsic value of the gold content is about £320, so I'd be nuts to try spending it. I wouldn't mind seeing the look on a shop assistant's face, though.
  • Responding to the points about electronic transactions. Cash is king. Cash allows privacy in transactions. Cash allows you to give 30 notes to the fella in the boozer to knock you some shelves up before the missus gets back from the shops, without Gordon asking for a cut. We should never do away with cash.

We should on the other hand do away completley with the idea of bum bags or man bags. We should knock that on the head.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides