My BT line rental is £ 15.45 a month ??!!!

in Phones & TV
61 replies 7.7K views

Replies

• JohnkgJohnkg Forumite
    47 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    PM Sent :smiley:
  • Jo4Jo4 Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since when did the "Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan" cost £13.43 + VAT? I do get "Paperfree bill discount" since I "receive paperfree monthly bills" which reduces my bill by £1.09 + VAT a month. Therefore monthly line rental costs me £14.19. Is this correct because when I signed up to a 12 month contract in November 2008 I was informed "the cost would be £10.50 a month". I have received all 12 credits of £2.57 to my account.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Line rental has gone up from £10.50 and is now £11.25/month.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Jo4Jo4 Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jo4 wrote: »
    Since when did the "Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan" cost £13.43 + VAT? I do get "Paperfree bill discount" since I "receive paperfree monthly bills" which reduces my bill by £1.09 + VAT a month. Therefore monthly line rental costs me £14.19. Is this correct because when I signed up to a 12 month contract in November 2008 I was informed "the cost would be £10.50 a month". I have received all 12 credits of £2.57 to my account.

If line rental is now £11.25 a month how come I am being charged £14.19 a month?
  • BT_company_representativeBT_company_representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    1.9K Posts
    Line rental is £12.50 (BT Unlimited Weekend Plan) without direct debit and have paper billing.

If a customer chooses to pay by direct debit and have paperless billing then £1.25 will be deducted from the £12.50 to make £11.25 per month.

If a customer has the BT Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan then add an additional £2.95 (£11.25 + £2.95 = £14.20)

Hope this helped.
    Jon
    BT Support
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • JohnkgJohnkg Forumite
    47 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Johnkg wrote: »
    PM Sent :smiley:

Just recieved my latest bill and I can see no mention of the credits, am I missing something?
  • BT_company_representativeBT_company_representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    1.9K Posts
    I've dropped you a pm Johnkg get back to me and I'll assist you further

Stuart
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • edited 2 September 2009 at 10:49AM
    CodehookCodehook Forumite
    2 Posts
    edited 2 September 2009 at 10:49AM
    BT is now attempting to con people out of their money.

I set-up a bt line order online for unlimited evening & weekend, which stated that I MAY qualify for the free connection charge offer. I then got an e-mail saying I did qualify, no mention in that e-mail of any changes to the cost or contract. Let us note here that there was nowhere to tick whether I actually wanted this offer or not when I was doing my online order. I then got a confirmation letter confirming there would be no connection charge and that the line rental would be £12.50/month (presumably because I hadn't removed paper billing, which I promptly did do). But then I noticed that under the connection charge discount it said I was in an 18 month contract! Firstly, I didn't even say if I wanted the connection charge offer or not, and secondly there was no mention of any change of contract on any of the order confirmations. I am told it was in the small print, which is hardly fair considering I didn't even ask for this discount.

EDIT: I was told on the phone that apparently there was an option to select that I wanted the connection charge offer and that I must have ticked it. I do not remember doing so, but I will concede that this may have been the case. However, I certainly would not have ticked it if it said that it puts me into an 18 month contract, and I would love to see a copy of that page again. My argument still stands here.

EDIT 2: I just went through the online order form again and there is absolutely nowhere to tick whether you want the connection charge discount or not. It takes you straight to the payment confirmation page with absolutely no mention of it whatsoever. Thanks for lying, BT! Nice to know I can count on your customer service...if you don't believe me have a look for yourself and take a screenshot of the web-page you believe to show a box you can tick for the connection charge offer

But that's not the end of it, I then got my first bill through to see that I was being charged £15.45/month instead of what should have been £12.50! I have spoken to BT customer services who told me that because I was given the connection charge offer I am therefore not allowed the discount on unlimited evening & weekend line rental! Once again, where did it state this in any of the order confirmations? NOWHERE. I am told, again, that it is in the small print.

You can't hide away the most fundamental aspects and costs of an order in the small print! I'm sure Trading Standards will be interested to know about this. I have put through a complaint to BT and am supposed to be getting a call back. If I don't then I'm sure as hell going to make sure I speak to a customer services manager about this.

If you want my advice, DO NOT ORDER YOUR LINE RENTAL FROM BT
  • Quite correct Codehook - you're not the only one being conned by BT...

Only after the phone line has been connected do you find out that BT has changed your contact from 12 months to 18 months, but also that you are being charged £2.95 a month for a "£0 calling plan". And no, BT cannot explain how £0 translates to £2.95 instead of free!!

The insulting response from customer services that I "must have misunderstood" and that I "DID sign up for this contract online" are, as expected, not only not helpful but outright lies...

Ask politely, ask again, demand - to speak to a higher customer services manager - meets with the reply that they are "all to busy" and that someone will phone back within 48 hours. We'll see..

Oh and as for speaking to someone about the online order which I supposedly agreed to, that's not possible according to customer services. You'll have to WRITE to BT was the only less than helpful response. Why? Because I didn't place the order with BT, it was placed online. In response to the question "so who did I place an order with?" came the even more helpful response "BT..."

Question - when is BT not BT? When you order online(??)

Oh, and don't expect to get your free caller display, as described within the BT Privacy At Home, because you don't!!

View your bill online? Oh and that doesn't work either, it doesn't recognise your user name. I suppose BT don't want me to see how much more they are trying to rob me...
  • edited 5 September 2009 at 5:47PM
    alibambaalibamba Forumite
    8 Posts
    edited 5 September 2009 at 5:47PM
    im still not sure i understand..
    i have a calling plan at £32+ per quarter (comprises line rental) AND i have package fee/line rental at £38 p/q....£70 plus per quarter and im not sure what for? i have unlimited weekend.....but it appears we are paying twice for line rental? can someone reply in laymans terms...and explain please! confused.com ere!!

i have emailed BT asking them to explain so watch this space. also everytime they ring when your renewel contract date is closing in fast, they explain new prices and then low and behold it appears very different on your bill...when you ring to complain and query, responce is, you misunderstoood...WELL BT, will you please make the bills clearer so we understand where we are!
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS