edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
57 replies 4.9K views

Replies

• Burlesque_BabeBurlesque_Babe Forumite
    17.5K Posts
    Battyman wrote:
    no - I'm still here thanks

Hello! Welcome! :beer:
    ok- you mention the quick read book tokens ,a lot of people on this forum have been using them in Tescos

have you used any ?

One per shop, I didn't have one with me today, mostly internet printed ones.

are you bothered that Tesco will receive more coupons than books they have sold

I know, Tesco are on the breadline..........:rolleyes:

what about those high value magazine coupons that are so popular on this forum

My Tesco doesn't take them (I guess you mean the Somerfield ones? My Tesco has never taken them)

magazines and newspapers are a "sale or return" item ,people on this forum use more magazine coupons than the store stocks and unsold magazines will be returned - how will the supermarket be able to claim for these coupons
    - quite different from grocery coupons where enough products will be purchased over the year ,

Don't know the answer to that one as I don't use them:confused:

I have the House Beautiful and Zest coupons but I doubt that I will use them (Morrisons have a £2 off offer when you buy two magazines inc House Beautiful , prima and Good Housekeeping)

Don't have them either unfortunately :(

and people on this forum say that tesco is happy to accept other supermarket product coupons eg from Somerfield magazine - as a loss leader ????

As I said, my local Tesco have never accepted these :(

I can find no mention of this in the letter from tesco confirming its coupon policy ,indeed they state that they do not accept coupons bearing the tesco logo because they do not receive the full value of the coupon (presumably the handling fee) so I cant see them accepting coupons that they do not get paid for except the £2 off £20 type

I only use coupons such as 25p off particular branded items which Tesco stock. If they don't stock them, the till beeps and the coupon isn't accepted.

people boast about using duplicate coupons when they should all be different , barcodes are very important to tesco , the clubcard points /money off coupons are instantly added to your account when scanned wheras a Sainsburys point coupon would have to be sent off for the points to be added

Again, they were all different, I don't use more than one, because they just don't accept them - even the young 'bored looking' lads seem to know the policy here. :D

when auditing the barcodes they have the defence that accepting one coupon when the product has not been bought is likely to be oversight but more than one would be more obvious - this is just speculation on my part - of course tesco could always simplify the policy to one coupon per transaction if one coupon per item - no duplicates is too complicated for people

aahhhh, I must be an alien then rather than 'people', as no duplicates is pretty plain to me ;)

Do most people check to see if the product on the coupon is sold in the particular store ,I have the £1 Autan Tropical coupons but I could not find this item in a tesco extra store although they have other Autan products ASDA does sell it however

Tesco policy has always been if they stock the item, they accept the coupon, as I've already said - their scanner beeps if it is not a stocked item

what about the Yeo Valley frozen yoghurt 50p coupon found in a newspaper ? will people be using that in tesco ,when I understand it is not stocked in tesco

Don't know. Not seen the voucher :confused: .

"uneducated, uncultured and prone to antisocial or immoral behaviour" is an appropriate description I fear (although not directed at you in particular)thankyou....blush...........:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

I have certainly noticed ignorance for example saying that the supermarket will be able to claim the money because it is a NCH coupon

Do you know that Sainsburys use NCH as a contractor to handle its coupon rather than keeping it in-house

I don't use Sainsbury's I'm afraid - far too expensive for my NHS salary :o .
    also people say that the coupon can be used after the customer expiry date as the store has a later expiry date - isn't is true that the store has to account for the day if receives the coupon ? and dont they submit the coupons on a daily basis ?

I always thought this too - I had one rejected last month which I didn't realise had run out, don't know how it can go through the scanner if it is out of date?:confused:
    so come on coupon experts - I would like to know which supermarkets handle coupons in-house and which use a third party eg NCH ? or any other evidence of your
    knowledge other than handing over a wad of coupons and saying "can you take any of these please ?" or choosing the bored male checkout operator

Welcome to MSE Battyman, I hope that you are able to find the answers to your questions - there are lots of very helpful and friendly people on the boards.
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • --Tony----Tony-- Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    keren29 wrote:
    Well, it seems somebody has spoilt it for us all - well, anyone who uses the Poole Fleetsbridge Tesco.

Keren29, you have a Tesco extra two miles up the road at Tower Park which is a lot bigger.
  • tintin Forumite
    502 Posts
    ✭✭
    What I REALLY don't understand is why do Tesco's tills not have the intelligence to either

a) say you haven't bought this item you can't use the coupon

or

b) say we haven't sold enough of this item, we would let you get away with it if we had, but we haven't so no go.

Then they stay in control of the situation and genuine coupon hunters are happy!
  • rdwarrrdwarr Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anybody know if Tesco actually submit the coupons to the issuers for reimbursement? If they do then hammy's allegations of fraud would seem true, otherwise, if they're absorbing the cost themselves, it's up to them if they choose to take the hit.
    Can I help?
  • BoltonMinxBoltonMinx Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    tin wrote:
    What I REALLY don't understand is why do Tesco's tills not have the intelligence to either

or

b) say we haven't sold enough of this item, we would let you get away with it if we had, but we haven't so no go.

Then they stay in control of the situation and genuine coupon hunters are happy!
    Coding a system to asssociate a voucher with different products isnt difficult but it is time-consuming and may not be worth the extra work. Imagine the number of complaint and therefore extra time that would be spend over-riding issues with a manufacturers voucher not coming off their products? With the tesco own vouchers, it's fairly easy as they know which unique numbers they have issued and what products they are available on. In fact, I coded something like that a few months ago...
    "There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

:A ~~~ S
    pread some good Karma ~~~ :A
  • Personally I dont think Tesco's can accuse anyone of defrauding THEIR system when you look at what's going on on the Misprice Thread on this forum! As far as I'm concerned, I will keep using coupons until I am told I can't by Tesco as every store seems to have their own 'in-house' policy regarding using them.
    DTD - Doing Tesco Daily - while I still have vouchers!
  • ben500ben500
    23.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Battyman wrote:
    no - I'm still here thanks

ok- you mention the quick read book tokens ,a lot of people on this forum have been using them in Tescos

have you used any ? Yes

are you bothered that Tesco will receive more coupons than books they have sold On what are you basing this statement?

what about those high value magazine coupons that are so popular on this forum

magazines and newspapers are a "sale or return" item ,people on this forum use more magazine coupons than the store stocks and unsold magazines will be returned - how will the supermarket be able to claim for these coupons
    - quite different from grocery coupons where enough products will be purchased over the year , Magazines are not ALL sale or return the vast majority have a small initial run of sor and then orders are expected to be adjusted and any loss borne by the retailer after that point, to the best of my knowledge no magazines run sor permanantly

I have the House Beautiful and Zest coupons but I doubt that I will use them (Morrisons have a £2 off offer when you buy two magazines inc House Beautiful , prima and Good Housekeeping)

and people on this forum say that tesco is happy to accept other supermarket product coupons eg from Somerfield magazine - as a loss leader ???? That's absolutely correct

I can find no mention of this in the letter from tesco confirming its coupon policy ,indeed they state that they do not accept coupons bearing the tesco logo because they do not receive the full value of the coupon (presumably the handling fee) so I cant see them accepting coupons that they do not get paid for except the £2 off £20 type you may not be able to see it but it happens

people boast about using duplicate coupons when they should all be different , barcodes are very important to tesco , the clubcard points /money off coupons are instantly added to your account when scanned wheras a Sainsburys point coupon would have to be sent off for the points to be added can't really make any sense of this you seem to be getting two seperate issues mixed up

when auditing the barcodes they have the defence that accepting one coupon when the product has not been bought is likely to be oversight but more than one would be more obvious - this is just speculation on my part - of course tesco could always simplify the policy to one coupon per transaction if one coupon per item - no duplicates is too complicated for people It's quite clearly too complicated for Tesco staff to understand

Do most people check to see if the product on the coupon is sold in the particular store ,I have the £1 Autan Tropical coupons but I could not find this item in a tesco extra store although they have other Autan products ASDA does sell it however As stated above if they don't sell it it won't be on their database and will not scan.

what about the Yeo Valley frozen yoghurt 50p coupon found in a newspaper ? will people be using that in tesco ,when I understand it is not stocked in tesco It may not be stocked in YOUR Tesco but elsewhere in the country

"uneducated, uncultured and prone to antisocial or immoral behaviour" is an appropriate description I fear (although not directed at you in particular)

I have certainly noticed ignorance for example saying that the supermarket will be able to claim the money because it is a NCH coupon Not ignorance there are very very few NCH coded coupons that supermarkets don't stock your knowledge of coupon use and processing is obviously limited but I wouldn't describe you as ignorant just because of that so perhaps not a nice way to refer to others merely because they are in possession of knowledge you are not.

Do you know that Sainsburys use NCH as a contractor to handle its coupon rather than keeping it in-house As do all of the large supermarkets (m&s excluded as not really supermarket)

also people say that the coupon can be used after the customer expiry date as the store has a later expiry date - isn't is true that the store has to account for the day if receives the coupon ? NO and dont they submit the coupons on a daily basis ?NO

so come on coupon experts - I would like to know which supermarkets handle coupons in-house and which use a third party eg NCH ? or any other evidence of your
    knowledge other than handing over a wad of coupons and saying "can you take any of these please ?" or choosing the bored male checkout operator

All the major supermarkets accept coupons on differing basis, Tesco, Asda, Morrisons will all accept coupons for items you have not purchased, the application varies across the country and even store to store locally, Morrisons are the most sporadic, Tesco have been the most consistent in that they for the most part will take ANY coupon that will scan, this goes up and down depending on store targets productivity etc, Asda seem to be aiming at Three of each coupon in most of its stores but again in some stores they will just keep taking them as long as you hand them over.

You are committing no offence or deception when using coupons, the store places an item on its shelves with a price guideline which represents an "offer to treat" this is the value they feel they need in return for the product, they can accept or refuse any offer you make in exchange for these goods, be it a coupon a coin a banknote or a giraffe's ear for that matter, if they accept your payment whatever that payment is then a bargain has been struck, despite the wording on the coupon which may in some cases even state "it is fraudulent to offer this coupon in payment for any product other than stated" this is a load of old pants by the way from the customers point of view, the only time a deception or fraudulent act takes place is if the store later go on to present that coupon to the issuer as having been accepted for the product when it actually hasn't.

NCH stands for National Clearing House and is based in Northants and handles coupon redemption for all the big players and many smaller independants, there are a few other clearing centres but NCH are by far the biggest, some stores actually have their own clearing houses but these generally gather coupons from the regions redeem through NCH and ensure the correct funds/credit is allocated to the correct region/store.

HTH
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • ben500ben500
    23.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tin wrote:

or

Tesco are in control of the situation they turn the tap on and off at will, as some will see regionally at the moment, but whilst some are having a hard time using one or two coupons in another area you will find people begging for coupons as they can't get enough of them, swings and roundabouts if your having a hard time now you will almost certainly find the situation has relaxed by Christmas when they are competing harder with the likes of Sainsbury et al to drag you into their stores, coupons have been bread and butter for Tesco for the last 25years and have helped Tesco get where they are today, when other supermarkets watched on and refused to adopt a similar policy Tesco took their customers from them and that's the only reason Asda and the rest accept them today. when times are hard people look to where they can make maximum savings and Tesco recognised this in the early eighties and took full advantage whilst the other supermarkets were spending their days in board rooms staring at figures wondering how the hell Tesco were doing so well when they were struggling.

• Saint_ChrisSaint_Chris Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Will Morrissons take money of vouchers without you buying the product, i didn't think that i did.

As once i handed in a £1 of some toilet rolls and she scanned my receipt to see if i had bought them.
  • ben500ben500
    23.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will Morrissons take money of vouchers without you buying the product, i didn't think that i did.

As once i handed in a £1 of some toilet rolls and she scanned my receipt to see if i had bought them.

It's very sketchy, none of my locals will but many have mentioned on previous threads that their locals have no limit coupon policies.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cuts announced to alcohol and air passenger duties

And the levy on fuel frozen for 12th year in a row

MSE News

Autumn Budget 2021: full round-up

From minimum wage increases to fuel duty freezes

MSE News