Tesco wouldn't take any coupons

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
57 replies 4.9K views
Burlesque_BabeBurlesque_Babe Forumite
17.5K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
Well, it seems somebody has spoilt it for us all - well, anyone who uses the Poole Fleetsbridge Tesco.

You used to be able to use as many money off coupons as you wanted to, as long as they were all different.

Last weekend, a supervisor came up to me at the self scan and said I could only have 50% of my shopping in vouchers as long as they were all different - not a problem, I had less than 50% anyway and they were all different.

Just been in today - Had £15 in shopping and £5 in all different vouchers. I scanned the first one (a 25p one- kicking myself for not putting in a £1 one!) and the supervisor came over. She said frostily in my face - have you bought any of those items, looking at the vouchers in my hand. I said yes, the chicago pizzas. She put through 2 of the 25p ones and said I couldn't use the others. I said I thought I could go to 50% and she no, due to abuse.

Apparently, somebody had spent £90 and used £70 (yes, £70 ) worth of vouchers at the self scan, so the policy is now you have to buy the item.

So, I'm guessing somebody used £70 worth of the World Book Day coupons..........so that's it spoilt for everyone else now. :mad:
:D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j

Replies

• tesco shouldn't have been doing this in the first place as it's fraudulent
  • pesky2pesky2 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Yes its sickening Looks like someone had just fed in Receipts at my Asda last night too in the Self Scan, Spoiling it for us genuine shoppers who do put the coupons in
  • Burlesque_BabeBurlesque_Babe Forumite
    17.5K Posts
    Wikipedia definition of a chav:

"Chav is a derogatory slang term in popular usage throughout the UK. It refers to a subculture stereotype of a person who is uneducated, uncultured and prone to antisocial or immoral behaviour. The label is typically, though not exclusively, applied to teenagers and young adults of white working-class or lower-middle class origin. Chav is used for both sexes, where a male chav is sometimes referred to as a chavster and a female as a chavette"

I am studying for a Masters Degree in Media and Cultural Studies and have no criminal record, including no points on my licence. I am not a teenager, or young adult (I wish) and yes, whilst white, I would class my job as middle management professional, so I'm not 100% sure if that is 'of lower middle class origin'.

So, sorry battyman, you are incorrect.

I am a money saver who was operating within a Tescowide policy, a policy which has been in place for many many years.

• TotoToto Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had the same issue in Asda today, tried to use £1 worth of coupons on a £12 spend but they wouldn't take any. Greedy people are so stupid; they spoil it for themselves as well as the rest of us. This idiot probably has 600 book tokens and no doubt will either move on to the next store or sell the rest on ebay.

I think the self scan machines will see an end to coupon usage totally. Too much scope to abuse the coupon policy.
    :A
    :A
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • evilwitchevilwitch Forumite
    195 Posts
    I've only just discovered this site (joined today!) so hadn't had a chance to collect and use coupons at all as i thought you could only use ones for purchases. Anyway went to my local Tesco today with a £145 shop and was feeding in coupons (for things i had bought) which totalled £4 when the SA came over and accused me of defrauding the shop and called me a thief:mad: as I couldn't have bought all the things i had coupons for and I was abusing the shop. So she said their policy is to only accept one coupon per transaction regardless of if you've bought the item or not

Explained that I had bought all the things I had coupons for but she didn't believe me and opened the coupon deposit thing and started interogating me about which coupon I had used. Was getting very annoyed and upset by this, coupled with the screaming baby I had with walked out of the shop leaving all the shopping behind. Needless to say customer services had a very strongly worded letter posted to them this afternoon.

Was absolutely disgusted at the attitude of the SA. was so embarassing as the accusation was said on the shop floor in front of the lunchtime rush.

Sorry to jump in on your thread but it seems as though Tesco aren't even letting genuine ones through
  • photomephotome Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate tescos and wish everybody did and then we could all stop shopping there
  • calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought there was suppose to be a rule about being nice to other money savers.

Think we have troll.

I will say that it is nice if they take coupons with out buying the goods. But it is not a right.

There have been many warnings by posters on this site before about being careful. And being greedy will spoil it for all.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Burlesque_BabeBurlesque_Babe Forumite
    17.5K Posts
    I think battyman has been removed already.

It's a bit sad really - I was reading my Somerfied magazine after I came back and there's a 20p off voucher for one of the brands of ham, no point in cutting it out now :(

• keren29 wrote:
    I think battyman has been removed already.

It's a bit sad really - I was reading my Somerfied magazine after I came back and there's a 20p off voucher for one of the brands of ham, no point in cutting it out now :(

no - I'm still here thanks

ok- you mention the quick read book tokens ,a lot of people on this forum have been using them in Tescos

have you used any ?

are you bothered that Tesco will receive more coupons than books they have sold

what about those high value magazine coupons that are so popular on this forum

magazines and newspapers are a "sale or return" item ,people on this forum use more magazine coupons than the store stocks and unsold magazines will be returned - how will the supermarket be able to claim for these coupons
    - quite different from grocery coupons where enough products will be purchased over the year ,

I have the House Beautiful and Zest coupons but I doubt that I will use them (Morrisons have a £2 off offer when you buy two magazines inc House Beautiful , prima and Good Housekeeping)

and people on this forum say that tesco is happy to accept other supermarket product coupons eg from Somerfield magazine - as a loss leader ????

I can find no mention of this in the letter from tesco confirming its coupon policy ,indeed they state that they do not accept coupons bearing the tesco logo because they do not receive the full value of the coupon (presumably the handling fee) so I cant see them accepting coupons that they do not get paid for except the £2 off £20 type

people boast about using duplicate coupons when they should all be different , barcodes are very important to tesco , the clubcard points /money off coupons are instantly added to your account when scanned wheras a Sainsburys point coupon would have to be sent off for the points to be added

when auditing the barcodes they have the defence that accepting one coupon when the product has not been bought is likely to be oversight but more than one would be more obvious - this is just speculation on my part - of course tesco could always simplify the policy to one coupon per transaction if one coupon per item - no duplicates is too complicated for people

Do most people check to see if the product on the coupon is sold in the particular store ,I have the £1 Autan Tropical coupons but I could not find this item in a tesco extra store although they have other Autan products ASDA does sell it however

what about the Yeo Valley frozen yoghurt 50p coupon found in a newspaper ? will people be using that in tesco ,when I understand it is not stocked in tesco

"uneducated, uncultured and prone to antisocial or immoral behaviour" is an appropriate description I fear (although not directed at you in particular)

I have certainly noticed ignorance for example saying that the supermarket will be able to claim the money because it is a NCH coupon

Do you know that Sainsburys use NCH as a contractor to handle its coupon rather than keeping it in-house

also people say that the coupon can be used after the customer expiry date as the store has a later expiry date - isn't is true that the store has to account for the day if receives the coupon ? and dont they submit the coupons on a daily basis ?

so come on coupon experts - I would like to know which supermarkets handle coupons in-house and which use a third party eg NCH ? or any other evidence of your
    knowledge other than handing over a wad of coupons and saying "can you take any of these please ?" or choosing the bored male checkout operator
  • Toto wrote:
    I had the same issue in Asda today, tried to use £1 worth of coupons on a £12 spend but they wouldn't take any. Greedy people are so stupid; they spoil it for themselves as well as the rest of us. This idiot probably has 600 book tokens and no doubt will either move on to the next store or sell the rest on ebay.

I think the self scan machines will see an end to coupon usage totally. Too much scope to abuse the coupon policy.

I saw a member of staff in ASDA today trying to use ASDA coupons without buying the product and the checkout operator refused to take them
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals