NI Railways and the Sunday Special

in N. Ireland
3 replies 702 views
chunterchunter Forumite
2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
I expect a few sighs of relief when all those gaa fans out there who find they haven't got to Croker this year.
I rang the train people today to be quoted £33 for the sunday special from Portadown . We reckon that's up almost 50% on the year. (£22 or £23 last year)

Not to be outdone, the GAA have pushed a nice tidy 30 quid fee on a ticket for the double header (for a quarter final).

Just the one "Special" laid on...not surprisingly.

There's much to be said for not having trains in Tyrone. We couldn't afford them...

Replies

• Money_Grabber13579Money_Grabber13579 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Funny though how they see that there's money to be made and the 50% off offer doesn't apply on that day. It does apply on the days either side of it as well as the entire month!

Maybe you're thinking of a single last year? It's around the £23 mark.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • Wee_Bargain_HunterWee_Bargain_Hunter Forumite
    968 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up on the web fares. Doesn't seem to be working on any Sunday in August but no matter - all the shops are open on Saturday!
    PS have to agree with you about the prices: £40 for a day return on Sunday compared with £17.50 the following Saturday for similar trains. You'd think they'd be trying to encourage fans to use public transport :confused:.
  • Money_Grabber13579Money_Grabber13579 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Translink and the relevant government departments don't see it that way unfortunately! They would happily stick everyone on a bus though! But anything railway related never gets the attention it deserves. Which is a pity, considering how many people hate the bus but don't mind the train. (I'm one of those - always get sick when on those coaches! :rotfl:)
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News