NI Railways and the Sunday Special

in N. Ireland
3 replies 702 views
chunterchunter Forumite
2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
I expect a few sighs of relief when all those gaa fans out there who find they haven't got to Croker this year.
I rang the train people today to be quoted £33 for the sunday special from Portadown . We reckon that's up almost 50% on the year. (£22 or £23 last year)

Not to be outdone, the GAA have pushed a nice tidy 30 quid fee on a ticket for the double header (for a quarter final).

Just the one "Special" laid on...not surprisingly.

There's much to be said for not having trains in Tyrone. We couldn't afford them...

Replies

• Money_Grabber13579Money_Grabber13579 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Funny though how they see that there's money to be made and the 50% off offer doesn't apply on that day. It does apply on the days either side of it as well as the entire month!

Maybe you're thinking of a single last year? It's around the £23 mark.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • Wee_Bargain_HunterWee_Bargain_Hunter Forumite
    968 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up on the web fares. Doesn't seem to be working on any Sunday in August but no matter - all the shops are open on Saturday!
    PS have to agree with you about the prices: £40 for a day return on Sunday compared with £17.50 the following Saturday for similar trains. You'd think they'd be trying to encourage fans to use public transport :confused:.
  • Money_Grabber13579Money_Grabber13579 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Translink and the relevant government departments don't see it that way unfortunately! They would happily stick everyone on a bus though! But anything railway related never gets the attention it deserves. Which is a pity, considering how many people hate the bus but don't mind the train. (I'm one of those - always get sick when on those coaches! :rotfl:)
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide