Thoughts on winter wedding!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
46 replies 3.3K views
Jo_R_2Jo_R_2 Forumite
2.7K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
Just wanted to ask what people think about winter weddings?

Me and OH both agreed we'd like a wintry wedding, I love the idea of being inside by a blazing fire whilst having drinks, wearing rich red colours in my dress and the possibility of snow - well I can dream can't I?!

Thing is would a December a bad time given Christmas would be coming up and people have other priorities for their time?

My birthday is in January so that could be a special date, and also (pushing it for winter though!), baby's birthday is March.

I'm also thinking it would be cheaper for venue hire and other costs as less business for say wedding photographers and other such expenses etc so may mean we could set a date earlier than we first thought.

Anyone had a winter wedding or any thoughts/tips?
Dealing with my debts!
Currently overpaying Virgin cc -
balance Jan 2010 @ 1985.65
Now @ 703.63

Replies

• Im also toying with the idea of a winter wedding and i have to admit thats mainly because of the monetary savings.

The thing im most worried about is not having anywhere light and beautiful enough to have the photos done. All other weddings ive been to have been spring/summer ones and their photos have been outside on lawns etc. Do indoor photos turn out ok? I guess if it rains in the summer we'll be stuck inside aswell...

Seems like a good idea to me.. im toying with february as its the anniversary of us getting together so to speak!
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • maggie111maggie111 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    December is cheaper than the summer months, but definitely more expensive than the dates surrounding it. And you will find that 9 months out of the year the weddings are cheaper - so you wont save a HUGE amount. Think of it more that people will charge a premium for summer months. Don't be too optimistic about costs.

Decide when would suit you best and then go about planning it. By the sounds of it Jan/Feb/March sound good but if you want to do it on a weekend you only have roughly 12 Saturdays!! By the time you factor in what dates your nearest and dearests can make you don't have a lot of choice! :)

Ask around and see if there's a date that keeps coming up free.

There's a lot of benefits to a winter wedding :)
    I love surprises!
  • debs2327debs2327 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    i think winter weddings is gorgeous they can look soo romantic from the blue, silver and snow white snowflake theme to the rich reds dark greens and christmasy colours ,
    i think december would be lovely but you might get better deals for venues or photographers and things in the january xx
    wins :- x2 hair dyes ,mascara, epilator,personalised card , glass photo ,
    comp angels please throw some luck my way
    :D:j:D:A:)
  • roxy84roxy84 Forumite
    191 Posts
    I was thinking of having a winter wedding, lots of venues give you a discount for having it out of season. We looked at one place hat gave a 40% discount but in the end we found a venue that has beautiful grounds and our own private gardens just for our wedding party, so it would be a shame to let that go to waste (tho our summers are not much better) Like someone said it gets dark early for photo's and we are planing of having a few garden games etc to keep people occupied. We have decided to get married in Aug now but on a Thursday so we are still saving money as there was minimum spends at the weekend which we couldnt afford.

You can get discounts on photo's, cars etc, we have just by having our wedding mid-week
  • Mme.HibouMme.Hibou Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    We get married on 19th December this year, not because it's cheaper (the venue charges the same amount no matter what day of the year you get married) but because we want snow and roaring fires and mulled wine and Christmas tress.

I just need to find a suitable dress :confused:
    ,___,
    (oVo)
    /)vvv)
    /m m
  • Jo_R_2Jo_R_2 Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    I do love the idea of a Christmassy wedding!

I'm only searching out ideas at the mo as we don't have a particular date in mind, but we both like the thought of a winter wedding, glad to see others are similar!

I'm thinking of baby being old enough to participate in some way (he was born March this year) so anytime from "winter" 2010/into 2011 and beyond LOL!
    Dealing with my debts!
    Currently overpaying Virgin cc -
    balance Jan 2010 @ 1985.65
    Now @ 703.63
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, our baby was born in March too!
    ,___,
    (oVo)
    /)vvv)
    /m m
  • lindaatno9lindaatno9 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    OOoo I blogged about this!!! As did Lisa Hilliard. http://lisahilliardweddingplanning.blogspot.com/ Scroll right down to Winter weddings!!!
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    This is where we get married (photos taken in summer and winter) I can't wait!

venue1.jpg?t=1248947635

cast1.jpg?t=1248947308

cast2.jpg?t=1248947358
    ,___,
    (oVo)
    /)vvv)
    /m m
  • lindaatno9lindaatno9 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Absolutely stunning Lydia. Are you doing the horse and carriage?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides