July 2009 Grocery Challenge - Page 11

New Post Advanced Search

July 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 June 2009 at 9:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
924 replies 70.3K views

Replies

• xx_Jo_xx wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I thought I was doing really well and had stocked up for the month on EVERYTHING (cleaning stuff, toilet roll, kitchen roll the lot!) for £45.49.

That should have left me £54.51 for the rest of the month for fresh milk, bread and fruit when needed.

However - its my birthday on Saturday and Im having a BBQ - Im going home tonight to think about what will be on my menu and what I can do with what I already have in, hopefully then, I can keep my spending down to an absolute minimum......

Does anyone have any ideas to help - ie where is the cheapest place for BBQ foods/meat etc.

Thanks

Jo x x

Have a look in iceland, they do some good BBQ stuff, I got DD a big bag of mixed BBQ stuff, chicken, burgers and sausages for £5 for her birthday BBQ. How about making your own pasta salad and potato salad? HTH

Shelley
    Back on MSE again! to take control of my finances and not let it control me. :T May grocery challenge £41.96/140
  • scotsaverscotsaver Forumite
    824 posts
    xx_Jo_xx wrote: »
    Does anyone have any ideas to help - ie where is the cheapest place for BBQ foods/meat etc.

Thanks

Jo x x

Hi Jo - not sure whether you use Free Range Chicken or whether you only buy British Meat - Lidl's Free Range Chicken is only £3.98 a kilo if you don't mind jointing yourself and they do lovely sausages made from British Pork. Alternatively Iceland do a large BBQ bag for £5, contains 25 pieces, burgers, sausages and chicken and they also do Kebabs etc.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Hi Everyone,

Can you put me down for £80.83 again for July

Thanks

Money Fritter
    DFW#972 LBM2 (09/07/12) £25938.84; Current £23783.35;
    Credit Credit Card1 £128.47/£6424.24 (2%);
    Credit Card2 £443.86/£15663.25 (2.8%); Overdraft £0/£2500 (0%)
  • I wish we had an Aldi over here! Grapes are £3 in our local shop and DD loves them! No spending yet for me - probably wont until Friday when I do week shop but have to meal plan before I go!!
    :pClare

Aug Grocery Challenge £159.45/£150
    Aug £5 a day £103.94/£155
    :A Tempus Fugit :A
  • Hi everyone
    My spend to day will be £2.28 for bread and milk and that should be it till tomorrow!
    Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • edited 1 July 2009 at 11:49AM
    SunnyGirlSunnyGirl Forumite
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 July 2009 at 11:49AM
    Just updating my spends. I'm very pleased as I got everything on my list for the week for £70.32 :T I've still to go to Aldi to get their Super Six and a couple of local cheap shops (a bit like Home Bargains but with freezers ;)) for cat food. I'm currently buying Iams lamb for £1.99 per kg bag which is more than half the price of Asda or Tesco :eek: The totals shouldn't come to more than £15 though hopefully. I'm trying to keep it down while everyone is still at school/college!

xx_Jo_xx The Iceland bags are great. Also get some of the Aldi bananas, make a slit through the skin down one side, stuff with chocolate buttons, wrap tightly in foil and put on the barbeque for a few mins. Delish with squirty cream or ice cream :drool:

MrsM Please can you post your recipe for cream tomato soup it sounds lovely. All of your recipes that I've tried in the past are brilliantly easy & foolproof thanks for being so generous :A
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away :p
  • cazzasmazzacazzasmazza Forumite
    278 posts
    Hi, I'm new to this thread, so hello all!

Please can you put me down for a budget for the month of £225.

This is the first time me and my OH have set a strict food budget for the month. This amount will also have to cover toiletries, cleaning products and cat food.

There's just me, my OH and our 2 (fussy!) cats, so we will see how it goes!!

Thanks to this wonderful site and its members for being a mine of incredible information and such an inspiration to read. :T

Caz
    xx
    He who does not economize will have to agonize (Confucius)

Beware of little expenses; a small leak will sink a great ship (Benjamin Franklin) :eek:
  • spendaholicspendaholic Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Armed with (a) a freezer full of food, (b) a pantry full of food, (c) a budget of £40, and (d) just a shopping basket as opposed to a trolley, my first week came to ... (drum roll please ...) £14.21. :T
    Highest debt: £35k (2005); Current debt: £3.2k (2019)
    MY WINS
    £3,541 CASH; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Hi SunnyGirl

By some miracle I actually weighed and measured when I was making the soup -not something I usually do..good job I did as I would have been gutted if I couldn't get it the same next time -it was just a use up the odds in the fridge job too :D

I did mine in the remoska but I will do it for a pan....
    1. drop of oil
    2. 150g carrots peeled and chopped
    3. 150g onion chopped
    4. 1tbs flour
    5. 600g fresh tomatoes -those over ripe ones are best
    6. 2tbs marscapone
    7. 600ml fresh chicken stock
    8. plenty of seasoning
    • cut the tomatoes into chunks and drizzle with oil and sprinkle with cracked black pepper and rock salt -and shove in the oven for about 20 mins until nice n squishy
    • put the drop of oil into a pan and throw in the carrots and onions, stick the lid on and cook until soft (stirring occasionaly)
    • add the flour and stir until absorbed
    • throw in the tomatoes and stock, stir well, stick the lid on and cook for about 15 mins until everything is soft
    • add the marscapone and blitz with a stick blender or in the liquidiser (allow to cool a little first if liquidising -don't want to be responsible for tomato soup on the ceiling :p)
    • add plenty of seasoning
    you can strain it if you like really smooth -but I don't mind it as it is... its probably one of the nicest soups I have made.
    Im doing another chicken at the weekend just so I can make some more :rotfl:
    oohh if anyone wants to do the remoska version...

just :-
    1. put the oil in and warm up,
    2. throw in the carrots n onions and cook for 10 mins
    3. add the flour and stir in
    4. throw in the RAW chopped tomatoes and cook until nice n soft
    5. add the stock and seasoning and cook until all hot
    6. tip into a large bowl and blitz in the marscapone
    7. then tip back into the remoska and re-heat
    Hope those ramblings make sense :rotfl:
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • PhoolgrrrlPhoolgrrrl Forumite
    685 posts
    Please put me down for £100 this month for me and OH. Knocking £10 off as last month was under. Already had a £6.50 spend at the butchers, freezer and cupboard pretty full and stocked up at chinese supermarket last month :)