Forum Home» Phones & TV» Mobiles

NEW MANTRA: BT don't press 3 - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

NEW MANTRA: BT don't press 3

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mobiles
36 replies 27.9K views

Replies

• gt94sss2gt94sss2 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Helen,

You want to ask for something called "Ring Back Inhibit"

Its listed as a free option on the BT Price List at http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/current/docs/Call_Charges.boo/00181.htm

Sounds as if BT need to train some of their staff better..

Regards
    Sunil
  • mrticklemrtickle Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    187 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    That's good for avoiding accentally requesting a ring back, yep.

Also for the subject of this thread - Call Return - there is another free item on the same page of the BT Price List called "Bar use of Call Return". You would have thought that this will let you listen to the Last Caller Announcement on 1471, and also be prevented from activating Call Return (ie pressing 3 and being charged). However, that page refers to plain old 1471 as "Call Return" so I suspect you can't bar 1471-3 and still keep 1471... :(
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have just read that from the 1st August BT are charging 6p for every times you press 3 through 1471. Dialling 1471 will still be free but to press 3 it will cost 6p whether you are put through or not.

AFAIR a minimum call charge for BT is 5p. Are you saying that the 6p is charged in ADDITION to the 5p call charge?
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    All the pages I can find about this are not clear on this point, but this one seems to say that the 6p is in ADDITION to the normal call charge:

http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/PublicWebsite/public_wel0704letter.hcsp
  • gt94sss2gt94sss2 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    AFAIR a minimum call charge for BT is 5p. Are you saying that the 6p is charged in ADDITION to the 5p call charge?

Yes, the 6p charge for pressing the '3' option on 1471 is in addition to any normal call charges.

Though, many BT customers are now on "unmetered" options so for them it will just be 6p during the periods when they get free calls

Also people who subscribe to "1471 Extra" don't have to pay the 6p charge

Finally, remember the 6p fee is charged "per attempt" - regardless of whether the call is picked up or not.

Regards
    Sunil
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Thanks gt94sss2 -

I also visited the link that you posted (usual BT info, clear as mud). I am going to send this alert to everyone I know.
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know people have said this will be charged for people using other call providers over BT lines, but I have Telewest lines which still give a 1471 service. Does anyone know if Telewest are planning to introduce a charge? If no-one knows I'll fish my glasses out and inspect the next bill ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • mrticklemrtickle Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    187 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Carefull! Don't confuse the standard 1471 announcement which is free everywhere, with 1471-3 Call Return/1471 Extra services (for people without pens).

I doubt that Telewest or anyone else would charge for just the 1471 announcement - actually I don't think they are allowed to.
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carefull! Don't confuse the standard 1471 announcement which is free everywhere, with 1471-3 Call Return/1471 Extra services (for people without pens).

I doubt that Telewest or anyone else would charge for just the 1471 announcement - actually I don't think they are allowed to.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant does anyone know if Telewest plan to charge for the '3' bit of the service? And if no-one does I'll get my glasses out ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • Money grubbing b******s at BT aren't they !

Im with you there. Praise the lord this site exists, least it puts the word out!
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable Christopher Reeve (1953-2004)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support