Freezing Rhubarb?

in Old Style MoneySaving
47 replies 76.5K views
1235»

Replies

• LarumbelleLarumbelle Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Freezing rhubarb is dead easy. You don't have to cook it or anything. Just place the stalks on an open oven tray and freeze for one hour, then put into freezer bags, tie them up, and bung 'em back in!
  • susiesue_2susiesue_2 Forumite
    291 Posts
    can i cut up rhubarb in chunks to freeze or is it best to stew it first?

got a load reduced in tesco tonight, i will be using it for crumbles or some other pudding type thing.

thanks in advance

susie
    susiesue
    Julius Caesar, and the roman empire, couldn't conquer the blue sky
  • thriftlady_2thriftlady_2 Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes you can freeze it raw or stew it lightly first-whatever's easiest for you.
  • Penelope_PenguinPenelope_Penguin Forumite
    17.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Best Buy Bear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susiesue wrote: »
    can i cut up rhubarb in chunks to freeze or is it best to stew it first?

I freeze it in chunks; that way it's easy to use as much or as little as I need ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Hi, with all the excitement of the Stig etc, I forgot to ask what to do with my fab bargain 25p rhubarb from Sainsburys! I prob should freeze it as [email protected] wont cook just yet but dont know if i need to blanch it first:confused:

All help gratefully received x:D
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

If you really cant knit very well, then practise drumming with the needles...

:j
  • mrbadexamplemrbadexample Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure I've asked this before somewhere, and got differing responses. Some said just chop it and chuck it in the freezer, others said blanch it first.

Does that help? :p

I've just chopped & chucked. ;)
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • anni-d_2anni-d_2 Forumite
    2 Posts
    Hi Ted, could you give me some instructions for 'bottling' fruit please? We have taken on an allotment, which besides weeds, has a very nice line in raspberries! About 70 bushes to be precise! I love them and don't want to waste them.
    Many thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides