OS'ers who keep your house nice and clean...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
39 replies 3.5K views
HH62HH62 Forumite
433 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
Do you notice that you have less spiders in your house if you do your housework regularly?

And for those who are like me and are a bit on the slobby side with housework, do you notice you get a lot more of them?

The reason I'm asking is that I've been seeing loads of spiders this past couple of months. I moved into my house last autumn and didn't see very many. But since about Easter I've seen a lot of them. I will admit I'm really struggling to get into a routine with the house and while the kitchen worktops are kept clean (same for the loo and bathroom sink) I have let the rest of it go. It's untidy and dusty and needs a good hoovering.
I'm feeling overwhelmed by it now (seems like a massive task) but if someone can tell me they keep a nice house and hardly have any spiders, I think that will motivate me to get it clean and keep it that way.
The house is only about 30 years old btw. I've lived in all sorts of houses from brand new to Victorian and never had such a problem with spiders...that's why I think it's associated to my lack of housekeeping skills.

Replies

• clutterydrawerclutterydrawer Forumite
    776 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I keep mine very clean as it's small and we're not in much, but I have had a massive influx of spiders over the last couple of weeks....must be something to do with the time of year.
    August grocery challenge: £50
    Spent so far: £37.40 :A
  • BarneysmomBarneysmom Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It makes no difference whether it's clean or not. Spiders will do what spiders do. :cool:
    It's good to have spiders in the hose, they keep the flies and little bugs down.
    But I think they do like to come in out of the rain.
  • HH62HH62 Forumite
    433 Posts
    ✭✭
    I keep mine very clean as it's small and we're not in much, but I have had a massive influx of spiders over the last couple of weeks....must be something to do with the time of year.

Thank you. This is reassuring as I'd been thinking that all the spiders within a 10 mile radius of me were saying to each other 'get to HH62's place,nice and dusty and full of food' !
    I'm developing a bit of a phobia about them, unfortunately and seeing them so frequently is making me anxious.
  • HH62HH62 Forumite
    433 Posts
    ✭✭
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    It makes no difference whether it's clean or not. Spiders will do what spiders do. :cool:
    It's good to have spiders in the hose, they keep the flies and little bugs down.
    But I think they do like to come in out of the rain.

I just wish they'd stay hidden instead of climbing up my walls or scurrying full tilt across the floor and scaring me to death!
  • it really doesnt seem to make much difference except that they appear more in the house when its damp or rainy

boyfriend told me he removed a huge one the other morning which was cheekily sitting on the sofa watching tv.

glad i didnt see it from his description:rotfl:
  • GingernutmegGingernutmeg Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I clean a lot, and never really see many spiders. Having said that though if I do see any, then I just leave them to do their thing. I'd rather have spiders than flies any day.

My mum has loads, but the cat has a taste for them so that keeps them down :)

• BarneysmomBarneysmom Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's supposed to be very unlucky to kill a spider. They won't hurt you :cool:
  • SweetpeanutSweetpeanut Forumite
    267 Posts
    Hi all, my problem is'nt spiders, but WOODLICE:eek:, i am over run with them, i scooped up 6 in the hall alone, this morning, any 1 got any idea how to get rid of these?? any suggestions greatly appreciated:o:o.
    • whoops!! sealed pot opened!!! for holiday stuff, £360, an i BLEW it:D
  • Hi all, my problem is'nt spiders, but WOODLICE:eek:, i am over run with them, i scooped up 6 in the hall alone, this morning, any 1 got any idea how to get rid of these?? any suggestions greatly appreciated:o:o.

aww they are sweet things, i love it when they curl up in a ball like a hedgehog.
  • SailorSamSailorSam Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Write to HH62 ask her to send you a box of her spiders, they'll eat the woodlice for you.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides