New Post Advanced Search

Grrr - blue badge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
518 replies 37.1K views

Replies

• I am only 36 but sadly suffer from difficulties with walking as my balance organ is damaged..I have a funky coloured walking stick for bad days and on better days..I can walk without it but tend to veer to the right!..however on bad days..I can barely walk from my car into the supermarket and can in fact barely walk round the supermarket..I do receive DLA but was told by my local council that I am only entitled to a blue badge if I receive higher rate mobility element...despite my difficulties I would never park in a disabled bay and it makes my blood boil when I see them abused.
  • beebee1beebee1 Forumite
    50 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I am only 36 but sadly suffer from difficulties with walking as my balance organ is damaged..I have a funky coloured walking stick for bad days and on better days..I can walk without it but tend to veer to the right!..however on bad days..I can barely walk from my car into the supermarket and can in fact barely walk round the supermarket..I do receive DLA but was told by my local council that I am only entitled to a blue badge if I receive higher rate mobility element...despite my difficulties I would never park in a disabled bay and it makes my blood boil when I see them abused.

Hiya,

I too have difficulty with balance and coordination and use my walking stick probably about the same as you do. My local council told me last week that although I don't fit all the criteria for a blue badge as per their written conditions I may try in person to fill the alternative conditions. I went to my local drop in centre last Friday and filled in a pretty simple form (a heck of a lot easier than the DLA form anyway) helped by the assistant and was awarded my badge there and then. She told me that I didn't need to be getting any disability award to apply. I just needed 2 photographs, £2 admin fee and 2 forms of ID with my address on. I took a letter from my consultant and filled in the details about my condition from that (my mind goes blank when I need to fill in any type of form). The main criteria as far as I could see was that your condition must be ongoing and not likely to get better. I have Lupus and arthritis too so can't be sure that you'd be treated in the same way but it'd definitely be worth a visit to your local office. HTH's.
    To err is human, to forgive divine!!!:A
  • edited 6 May 2009 at 7:02PM
    InvasionInvasion Forumite
    586 posts
    edited 6 May 2009 at 7:02PM
    Well I can't wait for it to be standard in all of these supermarkets. Just today you could see people abusing them. There was a couple with what looked like twin boys, neither of them looked disabled and their parents had them in a trolley. But they parked in the disabled parking yet both parents were totally able bodied (looked in their teens). There wasn't actually a NEED for them to park there because if the kids were disabled well they had two able bodied fit and active parents to take them into and out of the supermarket. Then there was a girl just parked there in a mini, she was answering her phone. I bet if I sat there all day approx 80% of the people who park in disabled bays don't really need them. I am out in the countryside and not in a busy city, I feel that these bumkins are either bred with sheep (and if so, that is probably why they think that they are disabled) or just really ignorant.

You don't mention if they had a blue badge or not... It doesn't matter whether or not they looked disabled, as many people have disabilities which aren't visible, what's important is, if they had a badge, then they're entitled to the space! Just because I go out with my mum, and she's able bodied fit and active, who can push me in my wheelchair, doesn't mean I'm not entitled to a BB and a disabled space. I apologise if you forgot to mention they didn't have a blue badge :)
  • luxor4tluxor4t Forumite
    11.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    luxor4t wrote: »
    I read this article and remembered this thread;
    http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Mum-s-fury-70-fine-Tesco-car-park/article-956688-detail/article.html

I hope they police the BB bays in a similar way.

Tesco have started to check the BB bays!!!!

as we drove up there were several empty spaces which is totally unusual.

I slithered out & made sure the badge was clearly in view. We had only just reached the end of the row before a member of staff went rushing past us to check the car. :j
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • zztopgirlzztopgirl Forumite
    676 posts
    I think that if somebody can walk into a large supermarket, walk up and down each and every aisle in there getting their shopping (some supermarkets are like a huge football pitch in size) even with a walking stick or without, then they do not deserve a blue badge. Reason for this is that they have probably walked hundreds and hundreds of yards around the shop.

I think like this sometimes about some bb badge owners, but oh is being brave-ish at mo and going out without his w/chair:eek: staggered around the shops this afternoon and pushed himself to the limit. So he could go without w/chair around shops/supermarket but halfway through the pain starts to show, martyrdom at its best i suppose. Im sure other w/chair users understand, if you could go without, you would jump at the chance.

Btw, i have seen professional careworkers abusing the bb, they are a disgrace.
  • daskadaska Forumite
    6.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    zztopgirl wrote: »
    I think like this sometimes about some bb badge owners, but oh is being brave-ish at mo and going out without his w/chair:eek: staggered around the shops this afternoon and pushed himself to the limit. So he could go without w/chair around shops/supermarket but halfway through the pain starts to show, martyrdom at its best i suppose. Im sure other w/chair users understand, if you could go without, you would jump at the chance.

Btw, i have seen professional careworkers abusing the bb, they are a disgrace.

I've done the brave thing too. You don't half feel a twit if you end up being carted home in an ambulance...!
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • sheeps68sheeps68 Forumite
    658 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I remember trying that years ago, I was so determined I could get back to full health. I used to stagger around the shops looking like a drunk!! Good on your oh for doing what he can manage. There are a lot of disabled who accept what they can and can't do, I suppose it makes it easier to be at peace with themselves.

Me too! A shopping trolley makes an excellent zimmer frame, leaning post and general support. Have pushed myself far too many times and ended up sat on the floor of a shop taking emergency meds.
  • sheeps68sheeps68 Forumite
    658 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    daska wrote: »
    I've done the brave thing too. You don't half feel a twit if you end up being carted home in an ambulance...!

SNAP! Been there and done that too!I refuse to give in, shame my body gives in though.
  • AntispamAntispam Forumite
    6.6K posts
    parking fine on david lloyd car park (multipage.gif1 2)
    Hi I received a parking ticket on david lloyd car park for parking in disabled bay:o i know i shouldnt have but it was early morning and lots of other disabled bays left
  • black_pawblack_paw Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    sheep68 snap , a few times half dead on shopping trolley in tesco the workers have come over to it i was ok ! like you say drunk like appearance, as over done it the day before and just wanted to go shopping round ALL the isles which knocked me out. whole day in bed next day to recover, what people don't know we all only go out on a goodish day , so look not too bad, till on the way out and your half dead
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    <3
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support