May 2009 Grocery Challenge - Page 10

New Post Advanced Search

May 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 April 2009 at 9:34AM in Old Style MoneySaving
765 replies 48.2K views

Replies

• keys_2keys_2 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    I got completely lost it in April Challenge due to ongoing internet and pc problems. So i have saved all my recipts for food shopping but to save time i would just like to start a fresh on the May Challenge please can you put me down for
    £240 May
    Im actually hoping i really dont meet this target but i have a fair idea i might go over it so i plan to buy mainly discounted foods and shop about in my spare time.
    I started a bit of my shopping yesterday for the month as so i will add this too my sig later.

Ebay Bag A Day Challenge 2012- :staradmin
    *£10 a Day Febuary Challenge £ 66.23 / £290
    £2 savers#131
    Crazy Clothes Challenge Me £3.99/ £200 Dd £16 /£200

• mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    £400 for May please. April wasnt my best month i kept forgetting to update my sig, didnt do a shopping list and generally went to pot:o
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • prophecy_grrlprophecy_grrl Forumite
    670 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    Had a disatorous April, with one thing and another, didn't even keep track of spends (although didn't go into my overdraft at all and managed to put some savings away too).

For May I'm going for £200 please

Thanks x
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • fletch3163fletch3163 Forumite
    900 posts
    .......... I too had a disastrous April but vow to do better in May. My spending in general has been just shocking, not just my grocery shopping.

I also feel my eating has gone to pot. I've successfully followed a conscious eating regime since the end of January which resulted in an near 2 stone loss but I've fallen off the wagon here too :eek:. I can't decide if I've been too strict with myself and am now somehow rebelling or if it's horMOANS or what??!

Anyway, shake up coming tomorrow. Am going to plan, plan, plan my May and hopefully do better.

Quick question if I may though, Pork! The guy on Sky News this morning said "theoretically" you can catch it from raw pork. Now, will this mean people will stop buying? if so should I stock up or should I body swerve the stuff?
    Grocery Challenge M: £450/£425.08 A: £400/£:eek:.May -£400/£361 June £380/£230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't plan to avoid pork - in fact I'm hoping (from my personal side of things, but not for the farmers) that the demand drops, as the price should - in theory - drop if there's more supply than demand.

I didn't stop buying beef when we had the BSE scare, and I actually think that was more of a risk that the swine flu from pork is -- especially as the government/food agencies actually banned certain joints (bone in) back then, but have been saying pork is fine as long as it's cooked properly. Just a case of being extra careful about personal hygiene when handling it, and extra/quicker cleaning of the utensils/work areas I think......

Pork and chicken have always been the favoured meats of my younger DS - but a couple of days ago he went as far as to tell me he doesn't like beef at all (even though he did partially back down by saying mince meals are 'OK')

So if pork prices do drop, then I know what's going to be stuffed into every available nook and cranny in my freezers :rolleyes2
    Cheryl
  • Going well so far, i've had 1 NSD and a couple of low spending days and i went into McRubbish for my dinner and the thought of adding that to spend change my mind i ended up with crackers and cheese which i already had and i may even eat my banana before it gets up and walks off lol. Unfortunately i will have to buy some paint later which i am going to add to this budget its not grocery's but it might stop me spending on crap later in the month

Good luck to all.....
    1vs 100 £50
    5500/335.25 (5.5K COMING DOWN)
    20.00/10,000(10K GOING UP)
    Not long now
    :)
  • miecheroxmiecherox Forumite
    243 posts
    i went into McRubbish for my dinner and the thought of adding that to spend change my mind
    Ha! (So here we are) I too had £5 in my purse on the way back from supermarket and job interview this morning - really wanted a burger and chips but resisted only because of the thought of "wasting" £5 on one meal! It's a joke really i'd walked round supermarket costing everything up for the week then for a split second would have spent a tenth of my weekly budget on rubbish.... And so we learn :T
    #118 DFW Debt freely Christmas 2012 Challenge
  • grandmasamgrandmasam Forumite
    535 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Stoptober Survivor
    ✭✭
    hi everyone,

my first spend for may in lidl, 4 litres sk milkand bread flour, so starting off cost is £2.89

have sc on with ham and pea chunky soup,took off most of meat on hocks and frozen for a salad day.Will be able to pick the tops of the broad bean plants for veg at w/end and lots of beans to come :D
    done the inventory for pantry,freezer,as i need to run these down before i house sit 6 wks in deutchland for ds3 and his family.

good luck all!
    Saving for another hound :j
    :staradmin from Sue-UU
    SPC no 031 SPC 9 £1211, SPC 8 £1027 SPC 7 £937.24, SPC 6 £973.4 SPC 5 £1949, SPC 4 £904.67 SPC 4 £980.27
  • edited 30 April 2009 at 2:40PM
    scotsaverscotsaver Forumite
    824 posts
    edited 30 April 2009 at 2:40PM
    Hi everyone - just updated my spends for today - had to pop back to Asda as needed booze etc for this coming Bank Holiday for visiting friends and wanted to share this recipe with you :-

Russian Salad (my tweaked version)

Smoked Salmon (I used a bag of offcuts from Asda for 88p)
    1 red Onion - finely chopped
    6 cooked new potatoes (I used some from a bag from Aldi's currently 49p)
    2 cooked beetroots (I used 2 from a 4 pack from Asda 68p)
    3 hard boiled eggs
    Mayonnaise

Use a glass pyrex bowl as the layers look impressive through it. Finely snip the Salmon, mine was already fairly well chopped as it was from a pack of offcuts, lay that in the bottom of the dish. Next layer is the finely chopped red onion. Next layer take the cooked and cooled potatoes and grate those, then grate 2 of the eggs for the next layer and then grate the beetroot for the next layer then finally smooth over some mayonnaise and then grate the final egg over the top.

We all loved it and thought it would look good in the Summer with a Barbecue to impress everyone.;) This will cost me a lot less to make in the Summer as I'm growing Salad potatoes this year and also have some Beetroot growing from Seed in the Greenhouse.:D

Dinner tonight will be HM Macaroni cheese with the remaining salad potatoes from the above bag and a bowl of salad leaves.:D

Forgot who was asking about Coffee but Asda have large Kenco jars at £3 at the moment.

As for all the talk about Pork, we are having Roast Pork on Sunday, already purchased from the Butcher before this story hit the news, as I plan ahead and we always have a roast on a Sunday and alternate the weeks with Chicken, Pork, Beef & Lamb. The Pork is British and we're not worried about eating it.:oLOL.

Hope you all have a good day.:D

Forgot to say welcome back OrkneyStar & angelnikki - good to see you popping in again - also welcome to all the Newbies.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• I know its quite shocking, its not just with food though with me, its like i can be really really good going to netto and aldi and iceland and stocking up and then i leave all the food in the fridge and go for a curry - madness, its almost like i've been really really good now treat yourself and buy some more food lol:mad: and the worst thing is i probably wouldn't have enjoyed it half as much as i enjoyed those crackers.

:confused:
    miecherox wrote: »
    Ha! (So here we are) I too had £5 in my purse on the way back from supermarket and job interview this morning - really wanted a burger and chips but resisted only because of the thought of "wasting" £5 on one meal! It's a joke really i'd walked round supermarket costing everything up for the week then for a split second would have spent a tenth of my weekly budget on rubbish.... And so we learn :T
    1vs 100 £50
    5500/335.25 (5.5K COMING DOWN)
    20.00/10,000(10K GOING UP)
    Not long now
    :)