Grrr - blue badge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
518 replies 37.1K views

Replies

• McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quite agree with you, politeness costs nothing.

I dont have a blue badge, but i would be sorely tempted if i had one that if i particularly saw a space being abused i would take a book with me and park behind them for half an hour - and make an almighty fuss outside the car, that might teach the selfish bstds a bit of a lesson :rotfl:
    (oooh and me a vicars daughter missus)

Your scenario about the two elderly people going round your car made me smile though lol
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • sleepymysleepymy Forumite
    6.1K posts
    The two going round the windows was just weird, it was about 10mins after we parked and OH had gone back to the car to get something for me so I don't think they would have even see me park, maybe they were planning to jack it lol

Tbh, even when I do manage to get out of the house I just don't have the energy to challenge anyone about their parking. Life is too short and my energy is better used for more relaxing activities.

Funnily enough, when I park up with my mum no one bats an eyelid, they must assume the badge is for her. She's 69, has high blood pressure and leaves most people half her age standing. My dad is 70, has had two heart attacks, angina and diabetes, he still works full time as a labourer... it's a funny old world.
    The stupid things you do, you regret... if you have any sense, and if you don't regret them, maybe you're stupid. - Katharine Hepburn
  • clarissaclarissa Forumite
    87 posts
    I've recently got a blue badge and after reading here I'm half excited and half terrified to use it! I'm a youngish, healthy, looking 45, have a very red sports car (mid-life crisis!) and can actually walk quite fast over very short distances (like to the cashpoint) with no limps, aids or anything else. I might as well put a flag out saying Abuse Me!

I have a dodgy heart and even with the blue badge, walking very slowly (which is very hard to do when you are perfectly able to walk fast) I couldn't manage more than 2 aisles of Tesco without chest pain, breathlessness and palpitations, then spend literally hours waiting for it all to stop. I manage to work full-time and know my charge-around limits and have plenty of sit downs and don't move much on bad days. I haven't been out at all apart from work since last October-ish because I know how bad it is afterwards. I was hoping that having a badge would mean that I could actually get to a few more places (actually it was trying to get to hospital visits from the normal carpark was what made me apply for a badge, I've been given emergency ECG's the last few times because of the state I end up in)

I think it's probably one of the only times that I've been pleased that my symptoms are triggered by exertion and not stress!
  • black_pawblack_paw Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    true slleepymy, same when i take my 80 year mum out !
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    <3
  • :mad:This thread has opened up a great debate.

My 2 year old son has a blue badge that i must use as he has a feeding pump and also medications on pump.

Often i drive somewhere to find the local louts parked there because they cant be bothered or some old lady or man using it because there old and stiff but dont have a blue badge.

Im sorry but because your old does not mean you deserve these bays and if people believe they do need one take the assement and let the people decide.

Ask the question would you park on the street in a disabled bay without a badge,and the answer would be no because you would get a fine.

So why do these selfish people insist on taking the disabled bays through sheer laziness.
  • savemoneysavemoney Forumite
    18.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because they can get away with it, disabled bays unfortunately on private land are rarely monitored let alone enforced
    danny83 wrote: »

Ask the question would you park on the street in a disabled bay without a badge,and the answer would be no because you would get a fine.

So why do these selfish people insist on taking the disabled bays through sheer laziness.
  • TeahfcTeahfc Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    nanokitten wrote: »
    I have to say parent and child spaces annoy me as they eat in to spaces where you used to put disabled ones.

They have clearly been invented to protect the supermarket from the small theoretical risk of litigation if a child was run over rather than by working out how easy it is for folks to cover the distance.

Maybe if they did not have to have parent and toddler spaces and they had to park away a little more from the shop entrance and had to walk a bit some of this koids would not be little fatties :confused:.
    Having a child is by choice being disabled is sadly not !

PS on Blue badges I do think they should have the picture of the owner of the badge !
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
  • sleepymysleepymy Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Teahfc wrote: »
    PS on Blue badges I do think they should have the picture of the owner of the badge !

They do. .........
    The stupid things you do, you regret... if you have any sense, and if you don't regret them, maybe you're stupid. - Katharine Hepburn
  • TeahfcTeahfc Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    sleepymy wrote: »
    They do. .........

Thanks you for that I never knew it. Wow how some people have the cheek to bounce out like spring chickens and leave the 'owner' of the badge in the car. :eek:

I have Dilated Cardiomyopathy, at one stage could not walk 10 yards without having to stop for a few minutes,I declined a badge on the basis of there were more worthy people than me that needed a space and if I was that Ill would not want to go anywhere anyway. I have improved now to the stage of being able to walk 10 miles and cycle 15 without too much trouble ( still have The illness) I wonder how many have been in my situation and taken the badge and would still use it :confused:.
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
  • Annieuk75Annieuk75 Forumite
    399 posts
    This is a very interesting discussion and I am coming to it from both sides - I have a disabled husband and an 19 month old, so I am fortunate that i have a choice of parking bays.
    I find it very annoying when we are verbally attacked for parking in a disabled bay, when the badge is on display. We were once verbally attacked by an old lady in a supermarket carpark, and she accused us of misusing the space. I had to bring the blue badge out to show her, and she didn't have a badge!
    On the other hand, I find it equally annoying when disabled badge holders park in the parent bays. I understand the point about letting children walk to the supermarket, but when they are babies, it is far easier to be parked near the enterance, particularly in bad weather. When my son is old enough to walk safely to the store, I will use normal bays, but at the moment, I use the parent bays as they are safer for him.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support