SD and HD TV viewing advice

edited 8 March 2013 at 5:51PM in TV MoneySaving
62 replies 9.1K views

Replies

• Very informative and interesting,
    still using CRT, coz what I've seen on friends HD flat screen TV's (high street and supermarket bought) not impressed at all.
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
  • aliEnRIKaliEnRIK Forumite
    17.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Very informative and interesting,
    still using CRT, coz what I've seen on friends HD flat screen TV's (high street and supermarket bought) not impressed at all.

Most people who buy tvs tend to not have a clue what theyre buying. Even those that DO (Say theyve read a review and went for example ~ a samsung), they have NO clue how to set it up correctly
    EVERY tv thats bought is set up wrong and needs calibrating

As in example ~ my dad recently bought a Pioneer 500A 50" plasma. Considered to be the best current tv in the world. Its capable of truly jaw dropping picture quality.

Once it was set up and switched on it looked cr*p. We left it an hour for some dineer and it still looked cr*p when we came back. It HAD been set up in an actual hifi shop on display so stupidly believed they might have attempted a calibration (Which they clearly hadnt)

We switched off ALL 'processing mode' (Of which the Pioneer has a bewildering amount of) and calibrated brightness, contrast etc.

When I went round the following week and switched on from cold it looked a million times better (Its still burning in yet)

My point is this ~ your 'mates' tv could well be cr*p, but id hazard a guess the settings are all a mess
    :idea:
  • almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    letsbehonest - first question has to be - were you actually watching an HD programme on the set?!
    second question is aliEnRick's - has it been set up correctly?
  • Marty_JMarty_J Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    I hear OLED TVs are going to be the next big thing. Better colours, contrast, black level, viewing angle etc, than the best plasma or LCD. They use a lot less power, and are also amazingly thin.

Once they start going into mass production, they should also be cheaper than current TVs.
  • aliEnRIKaliEnRIK Forumite
    17.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Id hazard a guess that DLP is going to be the bomb when it arrives properly
    :idea:
  • edited 7 April 2009 at 3:04PM
    Marty_JMarty_J Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    edited 7 April 2009 at 3:04PM
    I don't know....I've always thought projectors were a bit of a faff.

OLEDs can be printed onto pretty much anything, so I imagine in the future it could be possible to have an OLED display printed directly onto your wall or a projector screen (or even the curtains!).
  • deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    OLED tv's will be amazing, not sure how far they are off yet
  • Marty_J wrote: »
    I hear OLED TVs are going to be the next big thing. Better colours, contrast, black level, viewing angle etc, than the best plasma or LCD. They use a lot less power, and are also amazingly thin.

Once they start going into mass production, they should also be cheaper than current TVs.

Their price in Britain will depend upon how long that nice Mr Brown remains in power and is able to continue his decade of responsible monetary policy.

Too many people forget that he's managed to lower the value of the £ by nearly 40% - so everything imported will now be 40% cheaper, won't it? :money:

We owe him so much (over half trillion, so far) and our grandchildren will be able to pay it back in ever-less valuable pounds, so that will help them as well, won't it?

We've got the last laugh on all those Europeans and Americans: look how much it costs to buy a € or $ these days!

Give us another ten years of Gordon Brown and we'll be able to buy a house for peanuts. They'll have more water-frontage and peanuts is what we'll be eating by then. Keep faith!

Don't laugh at banana republics. :rotfl:

As a result of how you voted in the last three General Elections,
    you'd now be better off living in one.

• InactiveInactive Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Leopard wrote: »

Give us another ten years of Gordon Brown and we'll be able to buy a house for peanuts. They'll have more water-frontage and peanuts is what we'll be eating by then. Keep faith!

Just a shame that there is no better alternative.. :rolleyes:

• What I can't understand is that when it has been so blatantly obvious, for years, to anybody with the slightest degree of intelligence, what would happen if you permitted credit card companies and banks to get 80% of the country hopelessly into a degree of debt that they would never be able to repay (let alone service outrageous interest rate payments on it) even if they didn't lose their jobs - and allowed that to fuel a ridiculously unsustainable property price balloon - why everybody in Downing Street and the Treasury now says it is surprised by what has happened.

The most absurd sight of all is Gordon Brown now trying to tell the French and the Germans (who ran their economies responsibly and were appalled at the level of person debt that was being run up in Britain) how to manage their own fiscal policies.

I suppose it's all part of his strategy for attempting to fool the British into believing that the reason their £ is worth 40% less than it was against the € is because of "the global downturn" (which, being global, affected Europe as well as Britain) instead of because he operated a suicidally irresponsible financial policy for a decade and demolished the British economy.

Sadly, the only person in Parliament who seems to be capable of adding 2 to 2 and coming up with 4 (with no interest payments on it) is Vince Cable - who has been stating for years what was bound to happen but to whom nobody in Government or the Treasury wanted to listen.

Don't laugh at banana republics. :rotfl:

As a result of how you voted in the last three General Elections,
    you'd now be better off living in one.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides