Unable to have water meter installed

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
4 replies 822 views
juicyjessiejuicyjessie Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
As a single person in a property who uses very little water I would like a meter BUT being on a shared supply this is not possible.
I have heard that in cases where meters are not possilble one can request the water company to issue an assesed usage bill instead of the rateable value bill.
Has anyone any info on this?

Replies

• Snakeeyes21Snakeeyes21
    2.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    have you had somebody come around to do a survey yet?
    if not when they come around and see they cant fit a meter you will be asked loads of questions, how much you bath / shower, how many times you flush, use the washing machine, wash the car, water the garden etc.
    based on your answers they will estimate what your use would be if you were on a meter and bill you for that amount.
  • Snakeeyes21 is close but not quite correct.
    Water companies base assesed charges on the type of property and not the amount of water a persone might use.
    So a single person living in a Detached house will pay more than a single person living in a Semi detached or flat/terrace.
    Generaly if you can not have a meter fitted the assesed charge will be about £100 less than the rateable value charges.
    Helping people lower there water usage and water bills

Type Headsabovewater into you search engin for more help.
  • olly300olly300 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    have you had somebody come around to do a survey yet?
    if not when they come around and see they cant fit a meter you will be asked loads of questions, how much you bath / shower, how many times you flush, use the washing machine, wash the car, water the garden etc.
    based on your answers they will estimate what your use would be if you were on a meter and bill you for that amount.

Not true.

All I got asked was how many bedrooms do I have.

And then digital pictures where taken around the stop clocks to show that there was no room to fit water meters.

The guy who surveyed me knew the property I live in couldn't have a water meter as he surveyed other flats in the block I live in. (They have different number of bedrooms.)

He stated they are told to fit two internal ones if the property has two internal stop clocks but as they are really bulky they don't like to.

As far as he was concerned it was a waste of his time.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snakeeyes21 is close but not quite correct.
    Water companies base assesed charges on the type of property and not the amount of water a persone might use.
    So a single person living in a Detached house will pay more than a single person living in a Semi detached or flat/terrace.
    Generaly if you can not have a meter fitted the assesed charge will be about £100 less than the rateable value charges.

Not correct in all cases.

Some water companies base their assessed charge on number of people - for instance you can get a single person charge with Thames Water even if you live in a 2/3 bed property.

Other companies charge by the number of bedrooms.

As for the "£100 less than the Rateable value charges", well a single person could have an assessed charge £1,000 less than the rateable value charge - or the assessed charge could be more than the rateable value charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals