»

The Lal Qila, Liverpool

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

The Lal Qila, Liverpool

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
5 replies 778 views
Legacy_userLegacy_user
0 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
Hi - I posted this on the vent board but I'd also like some advise if you have any on my rights on getting a refund.. Went to an Indian Restaurant - ended up with a hair in my food and there was no running water in toilets so you were unable to wash your hands afterwards. We also saw staff using same toilets and then dealing with food/drinks etc..

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1543177

Replies

• shays_mumshays_mum Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Try calling Trading Standards?
    No one said it was gonna be easy!
  • MeepsterMeepster Forumite
    6K posts
    The only chaance you had of getting a full/partial refund, was to voice your concerns before you paid. Always speak to the manager if you have this situation in a restaurant and ask them, there and then, what they are going to do for you. Once you pay and leave the premises, you have effectively (in the eyes of the restaurant) concluded your contract with them (Unless you get food poisoning, but thats a whole different matter)...

HOWEVER I'm sure there is a law somewhere stating that hand washing facilities must exist in the toilets AND there should be seperate areas for staff and customers. A quick call to trading standards or enviremental health should give you all the advice you need...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• As per answer above: If it happens to you again the best thing is to put the boot on the other foot refuse to pay. Given what you say they would not chase you for the money.
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks mwillets and shays_mum. Really appreciate your advise - have acted on this..

I know, I know I should have said/done something more at the time but the problem was we were out with a couple we didn't know very well for a special meal out and I didn't want to cause a scene, if they hadn't been there I know I would have just not stayed and put up with it and said something before I left but the staff all disappeared and there was just one bloke rushing around who honestly was just fobbing us off and we were abit taken aback.. I wish I'd done what my instincts told me which was to get out of there!!

Spoke to trading standards and they were very suprised, had never heard of a restaurant not having running water in toilets before

Just in case there are several restaurants with this name I should mention that it's the one in 5 Red Lion Buildings, Maghull by the petrol station... why this other couple took us there I have no idea but the food was terrible, the place shabby and the service really poor let alone the rest of it.. I would never take friends to somewhere like that
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a quick update - the people who took us to this restaurant complained to trading standards / consumer rights.. I think trading standards informed Environmental Health who went to visit the restaurant and then rang the people who complained back with an update.

They said there was a problem with the water which meant the whole road suffered with water shortage and they only had what was left in their tanks and were trying to cope with bottled water or something..

The restaurant still should have provided people to wash their hands with though..

But regardless of this apparently there was a list of things they have to "fix" and have been given a date to fix these by.

Needless to say I would never go back there again anyway as the food wasn't good, service terrible...
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support