New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Council Tax

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
5 replies 674 views
Charlie74Charlie74 Forumite
3 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
Hi... I live in Barrow-in-Furness and pay council tax for my property which I occupy as a single occupant on a full time basis. I also own a wooden cabin at the beach in Barow for which I am having to pay additional council tax at Band A with a 50% reduction for vacant property. Because of the remote location of the cabin, there are no public services within 2 miles. There are no roads, no lighting, no refuse collection, no electricty or water supply. The cabin is a single room with a small additional cooking area (calor gas). The cabin if for occasional day use only. l have friends who have 2 properties and live in one and the second is vacant. This is within another county and they have never had to pay additional council tax for the 2nd property. Please advise whether Barrow council can legally charge me for council tax for the cabin. Thank you.


  • Butlers1982Butlers1982 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    yes they can at a discounted rate.
  • And even that is changing recently. Councils can now charge up to (I think) 90% of the council tax even if the property is empty.

    Personally I think they should be allowed to charge 100%, if you can afford a second home and all that.

    But I know for the OP a beach hut is hardly a second home and I think the council have a cheek charging any council tax on it at all!
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    17.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Very cheeky charging CT even though you don't get many services.

    I would write to them stating that if you are expected to pay 50% of the Council Tax, then you will be expecting services in return; a weekly bin collection and recycling at least.

    CT also pays for Police, Fire etc... so you would still be receiving these services.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

    No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • I wonder just what services exactly the OP is receiving at their property?

    Fire and police spring to mind. But anything else?
  • Thanks for all your replies... No services at all at the beach.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support