Forum Home » Praise, Vent & Warnings

Play.com Fraud - warning - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Play.com Fraud - warning

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
428 replies 121.8K views

Replies

• Thanks...I haven't heard of this but certainly sounds interesting....i will have a look at it.

Some info here on the paypal top up card:
    https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/general/PPTUCHome-outside

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/general/PPTUCFAQ-outside
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • johnwaynejohnwayne Forumite
    221 posts
    I used play.com for the first time last friday.

I tried to use my card this morning and it was declined. When I phoned the bank I was told they suspected a fraudulent transaction as I had 2 amounts declined recently, one for £1600 & £1050!! Luckily for me I havent got anywhere near that amount in my account!!

I have also had transactions in harrogate & New york!!! I'm from the south west!

It might be a coincidence that I used play.com or it might not!
  • GrapeyGrapey Forumite
    269 posts
    Tigert wrote: »
    To those that are getting the email about an order - When you change your card details in any way, Play attempt to authorise £1, to check the card is valid. They don't actually take the money. As you've put in invalid card details, this obviously fails so you get the dodgy order email. Lot's of online companies do this.

So it's a good thing really - at least you now know that your currently stored card details don't work!

So Play have tried to take a pound out of my account, this has been declined as the card details were incorrect and then my bank has charged me £1 for the pleasure?

My brain hurts and I'm confuzzled...lol
  • OwtForNowtOwtForNowt Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Iv used play.com about 30 times and never had a problem. Used Amazon twice and had problems both times.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • johnwaynejohnwayne Forumite
    221 posts
    OwtForNowt wrote: »
    Iv used play.com about 30 times and never had a problem. Used Amazon twice and had problems both times.

My brother is always buying stuff from play.com and he has never had a problem.

And when I say always I mean there's only a couple of days a week when the postman doesnt bring a parcel from them:rolleyes:
  • jaytinjaytin Forumite
    473 posts
    I think the OP said that it seemed more likely to happen on seldom used accounts, in which case I am in no danger as I order every couple of weeks! :p We have used Play very regularly for the last 4 years or maybe more and have had no problems, also been using Amazon for over 6 years with no problems either. My credit card is only valid for a year at a time though, so that maybe makes it less likely to be mis-used. I wonder if it's an internal problem with the security? Maybe a disgruntled employee or something? :confused:
  • flumpster67flumpster67 Forumite
    166 posts
    Thanks for this - my card has only just expired with them, so i think I will just leave it that way for now
  • milliemillie Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    i also had an email after i changed some of my details saying that my order could not be processed due to invalid card details. I checked my account on play.com and cannot see any outstanding orders or orders that i did not place myself. Don't know what's going on here.

I did the same thing this morning and also received the e mail I will check my card in a couple of days to see if they have charged me anything.
  • ixedocixedoc Forumite
    87 posts
    i have changed my card details on play.com. u can never be too careful.
    thank u
  • trets77trets77 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    rang them up and was told i could not close the account over the phone , i had to do it in writing :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: . i put a stop on the account before e mailing to close

i have ordered with play for about 8 years and never had problems but until they can satisfy me that they are secure ... it's buisness elsewhere for me and the mrs
    Better in my pocket than theirs :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support